Cadillac Owners Forum banner

How many times has your SRX gone back for warranty service?

28K views 103 replies 53 participants last post by  adamjeeps 
#1 ·
My wife has had her 2011 SRX luxury for 2 years now, 29,000 miles. In that time it was back twice to fix the radio changing stations as the vehicle was restarted. Once for an occasional power steering noise, sounding like air in the system. They didn't find a cause for that and lately it's happening again. Another visit for AC work - the accumulator/filter needed replacement. Another time for a rattle sound in the right rear somewhere - it's still doing it. Lately, one of the key fobs is malfunctioning. Last time at the dealer, McGuire in Woodbridge NJ, they left serious grease deposits on the front passenger floormat and carpet, and didn't fix the rattle.
I am not a GM basher by any means. I've owned nothing but GM vehicles in my 40 years of driving. I have never had more than 1 or 2 issues with any previous vehicle .This is very disappointing.

#2 ·
My 2011 Lux has had several warranty issues. Last one was to have the radio/nav system replaced. Previously, the AC dryer was replaced, a power seat motor was replaced, and the OEM tires had to be trued in order to balance them. Now, of coarse, I will be needing to replace these tires at about 25,000 miles.
This is my 3rd new Cadillac and seems to need more repairs than any of my former cars. I have never had this many warranty repairs In any of my other GM cars. My last vehicle was an 04 GMC Envoy XL and I am now wishing I had not traded it on this SRX. The only trouble I had with it was a bad speedometer after 90000 miles.
I am now wondering if I should not have bought a better extended warranty than the 60000 mile one I have.

#3 ·
My 2010 SRX was back to the dealer 3 times for warranty work. On the other hand I have owned my 2012 for just over a year and I have only been back to my dealership to take advantage of my free maintenance service of oil changes and tire rotation. The only other visits I had to the dealer were to test drive the new beautiful XTS and to order my 2013. :)

#5 ·
23K on my 2010, no major issues here! Had the dreaded chrome pieces replaced under the recall but mine never actually fell off. Had the radio/nav software updated because of the Washington D.C. location default. Had the transmission shifting software updated to address a hesitation in the shifting. But that's been it, and all were done during routine oil change appointments so I'm pretty happy so far!

The car is paid off but I wish I had that 3.6L! :( I might consider the CTS or one of the new models then in 2014!!

#10 ·
I have a 2010 Premium that has approx. 18K miles on it. Here's all my warranty work:

1. Left rear red reflector fell off and had to be replaced.
2. The chrome pieces surrounding the front mirrors on both sides fell off and had to be replaced. TWICE!
3. Have had the Radio/Nav unit replaced two times due to Washington DC always being the default; wouldn't remember the last selected channel; always got Nav warning screen.
4. No A/C coming out of the rear vents.
5. Rearview mirror had to be replaced due to excess movement.
6. Bluetooth failure due to Logic Lock.
7. Left license plate light lens cover fell off.
8. New front windshield due to delamination in the upper left and right corners.

I treat my car very carefully and keep it spotless. This is the first American car I've had in a very long time. I've never had so many problems with other cars I've owned. When Consumer Reports says the "predicted reliability" on this car is not very good, I think you can see why if mine is any indication.

#11 ·
I cant even count the number of times mine has been back in for warranty. All i know is that i drove every vehicle in GM's lineup (just about) twice or more. BUT my SRX is fixed with 0 issues right now. :)

#12 · (Edited)
If you happen to been on this forum for awhile you would have noticed that most of the visits to the dearships occurred in the first Model Year of the completely new GEN II MY 2010 SRX. GM as all other manufactures strive to achieve a flawless launch. However, sometimes there will be issues that creep up after the initial SOP, start of production and sometimes GM and their vendors will have to tweak their initial products. I had both of my chrome pieces by my mirror on my 2010 SRX drop off and or came loose. The OEM vendor for GM was a Canadian vendor who certainly made good on all of their chrome pieces and as you can see no one from 2011-2013 has complained about that issue again. As for the arm console that moved easily for some, I am sure that GM had their vendor look at that issue and corrected it later on in the launch. Then GM listened to their SRX owners and in 2012 brought out a lot of new refinements and the biggest was the 3.6L engine to satisfy those that wanted or needed the extra torque and power. Now in 2013 Cadillac has refreshed their products and made more safety features available that drivers are expecting or demanding on their new vehicles.

We are now in the 4th MY (Model Year) of the GEN II SRX and GM has continuously improved their vehicles. My 2012 was perfect throughout my ownership. Of course I liked it so much that I got another one. Unfortunately, issues will come up and it is how GM and or the dealerships handle or fix those problems that makes for a good or bad experience of ownership.

#13 ·
Absolutely Marc, I totally agree. Its just a big kick in the nuts to spend $60 g's on my first Cadillac and have it currently be "a lemon". At the same time, its so awesome at everything it does I love it so much, and you are right about the dealer. The dealer has accommodated me and bent over backwards to get this thing fixed and that made the difference. I do feel for somebody that has a dealership that won't get behind them, that's the equivalent of being deserted on an island...

#14 ·
My dealer did indeed fix all of my issues it's just I like being home more than at the dealership. :)

The lesson I have taken from this is that I will not be buying another car the first year of a redesign.

----------

If you happen to been on this forum for awhile you would have noticed that most of the visits to the dearships occurred in the first Model Year of the completely new GEN II MY 2010 SRX. GM as all other manufactures strive to achieve a flawless launch. However, sometimes there will be issues that creep up after the initial SOP, start of production and sometimes GM and their vendors will have to tweak their initial products. I had both of my chrome pieces by my mirror on my 2010 SRX drop off and or came loose. The OEM vendor for GM was a Canadian vendor who certainly made good on all of their chrome pieces and as you can see no one from 2011-2013 has complained about that issue again. As for the arm console that moved easily for some, I am sure that GM had their vendor look at that issue and corrected it later on in the launch. Then GM listened to their SRX owners and in 2012 brought out a lot of new refinements and the biggest was the 3.6L engine to satisfy those that wanted or needed the extra torque and power. Now in 2013 Cadillac has refreshed their products and made more safety features available that drivers are expecting or demanding on their new vehicles.

We are now in the 4th MY (Model Year) of the GEN II SRX and GM has continuously improved their vehicles. My 2012 was perfect throughout my ownership. Of course I liked it so much that I got another one. Unfortunately, issues will come up and it is how GM and or the dealerships handle or fix those problems that makes for a good or bad experience of ownership.
Marc,

Have you ever kept a car long enough to let it run out of warranty? If you kept an SRX longer than the warranty period, you might find the expense of getting things fixed to be prohibitive. I know I would.

#16 ·
2007 SRX N* Sport Edition - zero warranty issues (76000mi) - superb vehicle.

1984 Ford Ranger (333000 mi) - 1991 Mustang 5.0 (281000 mi) -- 1 warranty issue on each many years ago.

Maintenance is the key for any vehicle.

Quit your whining! If you take it in for warranty, it is a free or nearly free fix!

Having been a technician for nearly 30 years, no vehicle has been built perfect yet. Every year, more features are added, and more things can go wrong ---

#20 ·
I have had my 2010 for just over 2 years and it has been in 19 times now for warranty work. Shortest time was 8 hours, longest was 3 weeks. I have not had it in for the past 3 months which is the record for longest time without visiting the dealership. Still have a couple of issues, but have basically given up on those. For the most part I am now happy, except for the squeak, creak, rattle from my roofliner.

#23 ·
2012 with 11000 miles. I had a door adjusted slightly to make closing easier. That's about it. No real issues.....oh except for getting rear ended 12 miles down the road from the dealer after purchase, and the hail storm that smashed up the hood.

Still drives nice.

G
#24 ·
2010 with 33,000 miles 5 times. 1. clock issues
2. replace nav unit
3. replace windshield
4. moulding between windshield and roof rail came loose
5. replace rear stabilizer links
Not a big deal to me. Got a free wash job each time. All covered by warranty.

#26 ·
I purchased my 2010 premium in July of 2010. The radio was broken when I purchased it so it spent a week in the shop getting a new radio. That new one lasted until August of this year. The clock started setting itself ahead 7 hours. I took it in and they replaced the radio (lost my XM lifetime sub).

After getting the new radio the Time Shift function began giving the message "Please Try Again Later". I took it back and they replaced the radio again. When I went to pick it up I tried the time shift function in front of the service manager and it was still broken. That was over three weeks ago. I received a call earlier this week that they are having an engineer fly down from Michigan to work on my car. Other than the radio issues the vehicle has been solid.

#27 ·
We have owned our SRX Lux AWD since 2/11/11. The car has been in the shop more times than any other car that I have ever owned.
The A/C would not turn off (it was 10 degrees outside). It needed a firmware update.
The leather started peeling off the driver seat. New leather was ordered.
The sunroof makes a rattling sound when closed. It has been in four times for this, it was completely rebuilt and still creaks and rattles.
The A/C would not turn on (it was 95 degrees outside). A module needed to be replaced.
Driver side seat heater stopped working. "pinched wire".
The last time that I brought it in for the sunroof, when they rebuilt it, they gave me a 2012 SRX as a loaner. The sunroof creaked. Oh well.
Jim

#28 ·
gary2381 said:
I purchased my 2010 premium in July of 2010. The radio was broken when I purchased it so it spent a week in the shop getting a new radio. That new one lasted until August of this year. The clock started setting itself ahead 7 hours. I took it in and they replaced the radio (lost my XM lifetime sub).

After getting the new radio the Time Shift function began giving the message "Please Try Again Later". I took it back and they replaced the radio again. When I went to pick it up I tried the time shift function in front of the service manager and it was still broken. That was over three weeks ago. I received a call earlier this week that they are having an engineer fly down from Michigan to work on my car. Other than the radio issues the vehicle has been solid.
WOW! XM shouldn't have taken your lifetime sub under the circumstances. I believe that although its for the life of the vehicle, if the radio is defective they should transfer it. You might check on this.

#29 ·
1) Washer Fluid tank Broke
2) Washer Fluid tank broke again, Power steering issue
3) Driver headlight drain was clogged up and light went out
4) Rear Differential filter clogged
5) Passenger Light clogged/fogged and light went out
6) Drivers power Seat went out, brought it in the techs said it was fine, went out the car, it wasn't working, the service writer wiggled the connectors, it started working again and said if it stops working bring it back again.
7) Radio just went crazy one day delete all the presets and replaced them with --
8) Wipers last about a year and blades separate.
9) Sunroof drain clogged (it's NEVER open), and leaked into the cabin. I am not sure how it clogs when it's never been opened except when it's bright and sunny.

Also the seat presets never work dependably. Some time I get my wifes, some times she gets mine. Really no rhyme or reason to it, and frustrating to no end to smash my knee on the wheel when I get in with her seat settings.

Not to mention the 4 recalls that have been done.

In the scheme of things maybe it's not that big a deal, but many of them are all functions of a car that you depends on for it's safe operation. Not to mention the shear inconvenience of bringing the car in for service constantly.

It's about 22 months old and has about 16k miles. It's quite a disappointment from my other Cadillac, it's really a trumped up equinox with no quality that I would expect from my CTS's or my Gen 1 SRX (which was a beautiful car that I wish I never traded in now).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.