HID's are great but no DRL
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, HID's are great but no DRL in Cadillac SRX Forums; I am enjoying my HID low beams but have noticed that I have lost my DRL's. I called the Phillips ...
    inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

HID's are great but no DRL

I am enjoying my HID low beams but have noticed that I have lost my DRL's. I called the Phillips HID kit company and they told me that their HID lights must have a consistent voltage and that the DRL will not operate if they are the same bulb as the low beams. Anyone else with similar problem? Is the 2011 SRX low beam also the DRL bulb? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

Re: HID's are great but no DRL

I thought that the Phillips HID kit addressed the voltage issue for the DRL's and that they continued to function as before. Someone chime in here please.

bwclemons is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Luxury

Are you sure they are not working? Remember the car must be on and in drive. As soon as you go to park The lights go out. If they are in fact not working the can bus, or error code eliminators are not doing their job. Unless someone other than yourself is looking, you will have to put your car in drive and set the parking brake and then look for yourself.

carman603 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX

Which Phillips kit number did you install? Worth the money?

I had my wife sit in the car with it in drive with her foot on the brake and they did not come on. I had noticed that one was not on while sitting at a red light and noticed that the reflection on the car ahead of me showed only one DRL on. Then later neither was on. The Phillips kit seller suggested that I use the manual light switch to avoid varying displays of DRLs. I told him that that would not be acceptable. They are extremely hard to talk to and most of my communications have been by e-mail only. They also charge a 25% re-stocking fee for any item returned. Good company huh? I am amazed at the poor business owners that are out there. No sense of loyalty or any concern of ever getting any further business from their customers. I read today in the WSJ that Cadillac is trying to reclaim the mantel of America's luxury car. Good luck. If they keep nickle and diming their buyers with stuff like cheap floor mats and poor head lights they are in for some shocking results.

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
    I had my wife sit in the car with it in drive with her foot on the brake and they did not come on. I had noticed that one was not on while sitting at a red light and noticed that the reflection on the car ahead of me showed only one DRL on. Then later neither was on. The Phillips kit seller suggested that I use the manual light switch to avoid varying displays of DRLs. I told him that that would not be acceptable. They are extremely hard to talk to and most of my communications have been by e-mail only. They also charge a 25% re-stocking fee for any item returned. Good company huh? I am amazed at the poor business owners that are out there. No sense of loyalty or any concern of ever getting any further business from their customers. I read today in the WSJ that Cadillac is trying to reclaim the mantel of America's luxury car. Good luck. If they keep nickle and diming their buyers with stuff like cheap floor mats and poor head lights they are in for some shocking results.
    I agree that Cadillac is lagging in some areas, and could be doing more to win customers over. I have said it here several times and still maintain that HID's are a very important option to have. As a luxury brand, 1 could reasonably expect HID's to be STANDARD equipment. Certainly they should be available as an option. Cadillac has put more and features into the lower trim level packages on the SRX, but this is a glaring omission. I would have paid plenty to get HID's as an option, but couldn't afford the performance or premium packages. I didn't want either of those,as I'm don't want larger wheels, and don't need performance handling and suspension. BMW, Acura and I'm sure others (I know these 2 for sure) give you HID's with similar vehicles, and Cadillac needs to incorporate them as standard equipment. From both aesthetic and functional perspectives, they add much to the vehicle. As it is I had to pay over $800 and waste a day having Fog Lamps installed at the dealer. My Honda Fit Sport has Fog Lamps standard at under 18K. The car is a pretty basic econonbox by today's standards. I am not comfortable fooling around with aftermarket modifications like HID's, and worry about any warranty issues in the future. If I wanted to tinker with things, I would have bought a less expensive car and made modifications later. These HID kits are known for problems like, early failure, non-DOT compliance, blinding other drivers, etc. I will use my OEM headlights for a bit, as I can't see replacing them just yet on my brand new car. I'm interested in the Phillips Crystalvison Ultras mentioned here in another thread. They seem pretty easy to swap and are affordable. Reading the reviews on Amazon people seem pleased with them, but short life is a concern. Changing the headlights on the SRX seems to be a bit involved. If anyone finds a good replacement bulb for the headlights please share your thoughts. Thanks

I guess the only thing to do is get a set of error code elimators or can bus code elimators that are separate from the ballasts. Probably about $25 a pair.
    I agree with you guys that standard HIDs on a Cadillac is a must in this market.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

If you replace the stock bulbs with HIDs, and do not run a direct link off the battery (relay so when the lights ask for power, they get fresh full right off the battery), the DRL power normally powering the low beam DRL's will not light the HID lights, and may even burn the ballasts faster then standard life (getting power, but not enough to light).
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

That is wrong. A relay will not work in our cars. I've tried it. I use seperate error code eliminators or ( can bus code ) eliminators and the car works just like it is supposed to. I have had these on the car for 50,000 miles and have never had a problem. Read my DIY's. The built in can bus in the philips system probably failed. Buy a set of seperate eliminators and add them on to your system.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Yes, good correction. I forgot about the code eliminators!
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Sorry about sounding rude. When you use relays the contacts buzz because of the voltage pulsing in the DRL mode. The only way to smooth out the voltage pulsing is to use the eliminators.

Mr. Clemons can you tell me how the can-bus eliminator codes will make the HIDs work at half power when the manufacturer says it cannot do that? I would love to add anything so that I do not lose my DRL or make the HIS bulbs fail faster without sending the kit back for a 25% re-stocking fee plus shipping. Do you have a link to these items? Thanks,
    Rudy

hawkowl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none
    Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy
    . I read today in the WSJ that Cadillac is trying to reclaim the mantel of America's luxury car. Good luck. If they keep nickle and diming their buyers with stuff like cheap floor mats and poor head lights they are in for some shocking results.
    I agree totally. If I can't get HID and fog lights as an option when I trade in my current SRX4 luxury late next year then I will NOT be purchasing another caddy. I need the capabilities and ground clearance of a CUV and with the many miles I drive on rough or gravel roads I don't want the the stiff ride that comes with the mandatory larger rims on premium and performance models.

Hope that GM is reading this forum!!!!

The electrical system in our (can-bus) cars use a computer to pulse the electrical signal, like a fast on off switch, to lower the voltage thus dimming the bulb on the day time running lights. This pulsing effictively doesn't let the bulb get to full brightness. An error code eliminator or can bus eliminator in the system takes the pulsing and smoothes the electrical signal so that full voltage is seen by the bulb. Thus you get full voltage to your ballast so it will work properly. What you get is DRL's and running lights running at the same voltage. If you try to run a relay or a ballast without the eliminators, the system will not work while the car is in the DRL mode. The relay will buzz and or the ballast will not ignite the bulb. I have never seen a ballast that has the eliminator installed into the ballast. They all say can bus approved but it does not say that eliminator is installed. It says the system will work in a can bus car. In fact, all aftermarket HID systems will work in a can bus car. It's all sales talk. All companys have separate eliminators to install with their HID systems. Just call them and tell them what you want. If you were told that your system has an eliminator in the ballast and it worked for a while, it most likely failed. Instead of sending your system back have them send eliminators to you and install them just before the ballasts. All that is in an eliminator are capacitors. If your ballast had the eliminators in the ballast they were not of a high enough capacity and blew. Error code eliminators only cost about $20 to $30 dollars so to return the whole system for a fee isn't worth while. If your system has Phillips bulbs then keep your system because bulbs are the best part of the systems. If you need any more help feel free to contact me. Go to www.theretrofitsource.com and go to relay harnesses. Look for morimoto stand alone can bus. You will want The H11 connectors. Call them and they will help you. 404-220-7940. You want the H11 to the standard input to the ballast connectors because your original connection was to a H11 halogen bulb. By the way, don't be concerned about wearing out the bulb or system. It will last long after you get rid of the car. Plus bulbs only cost a little bit.

phunter1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury

According to the Phillips website, their ballasts have "built in CAN=BUS flicker solver". (http://www.philipsxenon.com/cadillac...ips-hid-p-1221) Apparently, it does not work properly with our cars, so what is the point of paying the premium cost of Phillips if you still need to buy the error code eliminators to make it work properly. Also, the tech support given to inspectorudy was far less than I would expect from a major automotive supplier. I was thinking about upgrading to Phillips HID conversion kit, but will look elsewhere now.

Phil

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.