HID's are great but no DRL - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, HID's are great but no DRL in Cadillac SRX Forums; Well, the debate on whether or not they're useful or whether or not one should or shouldn't like them won't ...
    rockstar143 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: HID's are great but no DRL

Well, the debate on whether or not they're useful or whether or not one should or shouldn't like them won't go very far since you're discussing an opinion.

After having done the research, I'll share purely fact.

I too would prefer to have NO DRL since I don't like killing the HID's all day long, but the bulbs and ballasts are pretty robust. Anyway, on the SRX 2nd Gen, the way they cut the full voltage to the low beam bulbs is to send pulses that end up translating to flickering on your HID kit if you install one. This will DEFINITELY shorten life. If you read my DIY, you'll see that a trip to Radioshack and about ten bucks will solve the issue if you want to do HID's as your low beam which will also end up being your DRL.

WarnerCC, my best suggestion to you is that since you're about to buy the car, make the dealer connecting to the car's computer and have them disable the DRL's. From what I've read, that is the only way. There is NO fuse on this car for it...so ask dealer to do it. If they give you shit, tell them you aren't going to buy the car then.

J.

----------

Forgot to post up that I finally did get the correct glass based bulb to be installed as the turn signal bulb. All went well, save for dropping the amber bulb somewhere into the engine abyss and I wasted an hour looking for it to no avail. Oh well...

IMG_0372 by swimex37, on Flickr

IMG_0371 by swimex37, on Flickr

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Are you guys aware that the average lifespan of HID's is around 2500 hours? Compared to 400ish for halogen that is six times the lifespan of normal bulbs.
    allgm and allgm like this.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

rockstar143 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have to be honest...I did NOT know the lifespan but that makes me feel a LOT better about running them all the time. They DO look pretty cool. Thank you for sharing.

On a side note...can only moderators change their avatar to a personal photo on this site?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.