HID's are great but no DRL - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, HID's are great but no DRL in Cadillac SRX Forums; KBCarstuff....
    bwclemons is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Luxury

Re: HID's are great but no DRL

KBCarstuff.

rockstar143 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Wow, AWESOME thread fellaz, I honestly wish I'd have done my research yesterday and not wasted the day tearing everything apart to get to the headlights on wife's new SRX only to get the pulsing. The DDMTuning kit that we've had from our old accord is H11 and still works fine after 4 years...my plan is to solder in a capacitor I pick up from Radioshack using the extra external set of wires that run through the grommet that I don't need to use for install. These have the extra set of positive and negative sockets and should allow me to "make" an eliminator for about $3 in parts.

If I'm successfully, expect a DIY in here.

Let us know how it works.

Here you guys go...success!

To get rid of flicker on HID's when using them in your low beam DRL on your 2010 to 2012 Cadillac SRX (and then some).

DDM Tuning kit, has a second set of wires with female/male plugs used for a harness, which the SRX doesn't need. We have voltage enough to power a small village in Nigeria

First, go to Radio shack and buy a pair of (sold indiv.) 4700 ua 35V capacitors

Cut the sacrifice unused wiring for use and pull through rubber grommet. Chose to keep the rubber grommet in once piece in case i needed to run the HID kit outside the housing assembly (in this case I didn't, everything tucked into headlight so no OEM splicing or drilling).

Cut back and strip the wires

add some heatshrink...can't tell you how many times I realize this after i've already soldered and it's too late

twist everything together, capacitor should have arrows pointing at the ground/black wire

wired up

soldered

heatshrink heated

electrical tape added to ensure nothing makes contact with anything inside the housing

like a newborn...everything tucked in. Double sided tape added to the ballast and it's attached inside the top of the housing

and bam...no way around it, looks about a billion times better. Wife wasn't happy about her new car being disassembled numerous times but thanked me profusely (:mizouse after seeing what all the hard work and research was for.

I hope this helps someone out. Wife's happy!

Great way around buying a error code eliminator. Nice job.

Why thank you! I will say that I found the eliminator on amazon for $15 shipped and I spent 10...but timing was an issue too. I really wanted to tackle this yesterday as I needed to pull those ebay turn signal bulbs (one was malfunctioning).

It's amazing how the HID's transform the front of this car...

300:29:1 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

I have 1 question for Rockstar. Do the DRL's still work after the HID install? If not are the HID's always on in lieu of DRL's? Thanks for the detailed pics and explanation. I'm not comfortable doing this install myself, but would take these instructions to an installer.

Yes sir! They are on. Basically, it's JUST as if you had the car totally stock but instead of the ugly yellow filament bulbs, you have some gorgeous HID's on now. There is really no comparison...I'll get some night shots soon...they look amazing.

And if soldering isn't your thing, just order a set of these, I believe they do the exact same thing (or ARE the exact same thing) as the capacitor I bought.

Plug and play...so you keep your HID'S on as your Daytime Running Lights with no flicker
    http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Warni...ker+eliminator

Quote Originally Posted by rockstar143
    Yes sir! They are on. Basically, it's JUST as if you had the car totally stock but instead of the ugly yellow filament bulbs, you have some gorgeous HID's on now. There is really no comparison...I'll get some night shots soon...they look amazing.

And if soldering isn't your thing, just order a set of these, I believe they do the exact same thing (or ARE the exact same thing) as the capacitor I bought.

Plug and play...so you keep your HID'S on as your Daytime Running Lights with no flicker
    http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Warni...ker+eliminator
    Can you also post a link for the HID kit? Thanks so much!

But of course:
    It's here, but I will warn, although they do honor their warranty, it does take weeks to get a replacement. It's been somewhat hit or miss too as I've probably bought and installed 12 kits and have had maybe 3 ballasts crap out on me and need replacement.
    http://www.ddmtuning.com/

All that said, this set I put in the SRX was from her accord that was working flawlessly for 4 years. I don't see any issues from it.

warnercc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance

Hi guys, I'm new here so be gentle, please. We are picking up our new SRX Performance AWD in the morning and I have a couple of questions you experts may be able to answer. This whole DRL discussion is interesting to me because I detest the things and have never had them until a couple of months ago when I purchased a new car for myself. To make a long story short, I see no useful purposed for them and wished that they could be disabled on my car. I didn't realize that the SRX had them. Can they be disabled on the SRX? Also, if someone could explain to the fascination with DRL that would also be greatly appreciated!

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

DRL's have proven to make your vehicle more visible to others even during the brightest times of the day (which reduce accidents). As GM is behind safety for all, it has decided to make DRL's standard on all of the vehicles it sells.
    Also, most of the countries GM sells vehicles in, have laws requiring DRL's on all vehicles sold (past 1991 in most cases- which is where the accident studies started taking effect). In this way, it is much more cost effective to just make all vehicles the company sells (regardless of destination) fit to the same standards. (Just look at what California has done for the rest of us with regards to emissions.)

As for disabling them, there might be a fuse you can locate and pull, but I am unaware of this at this time.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

I receive a $3.21 discount from USAA for having DRLs... What can it hurt?

Quote Originally Posted by warnercc
    Hi guys, I'm new here so be gentle, please. We are picking up our new SRX Performance AWD in the morning and I have a couple of questions you experts may be able to answer. This whole DRL discussion is interesting to me because I detest the things and have never had them until a couple of months ago when I purchased a new car for myself. To make a long story short, I see no useful purposed for them and wished that they could be disabled on my car. I didn't realize that the SRX had them. Can they be disabled on the SRX? Also, if someone could explain to the fascination with DRL that would also be greatly appreciated!
    Many fleets have had their headlights on full time for years. I can't imagine why someone would "detest" DRL. As The Captain pointed out, DRL are required by law in many countries. Additionally, your insurance company offers a discount for DRL. I suppose you could see about pulling the fuse, but why not just let them help to make your vehicle more visible to other drivers, pedestrians, and bicycles.

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    You can twist the headlight switch to the left. Will have to do this every time you start, though.

----------

For me, it's not so much burning the cheap drl bulb, but the auto headlights turning on my hids every morning in my garage. This is going to greatly shorten their life, since they go off after about a minute in the daylight.

Way too much nannying going on.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.