HID's are great but no DRL - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, HID's are great but no DRL in Cadillac SRX Forums; If you buy no name HID's, they just plain don't work. I tried. They work once, flicker, turn off. Back ...
    TheCaptain is online now Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Re: HID's are great but no DRL

If you buy no name HID's, they just plain don't work. I tried. They work once, flicker, turn off. Back on. Off. I had to get Philips bulbs to maintain keeping the lights on.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

BWclemons, I went to the link you offered above and they state that the eliminators will not work on a car with DRL as the low beams. Is there another product that you can recommend? BTW, here is the link to the company I used please do not use them. They lie in their ads and never mention that DRL and HID kits are not compatible with each other. I do have the Phillips 6000k bulbs and am happy with the low beams but they are a deceptive company and their tech support is very hard to reach. They also charge you a 25% re-stocking fee plus shipping to get any money back. So you have in effect lost about 30% of your investment just to get some money returned. Crooks!!!!
    http://www.philipsxenon.com/

bwclemons is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Luxury

Go to the web site I talked about in the other post they really know what they are talking about. "The Retrofit Source" is in Atlanta area and have systems in stock. In fact, they probally know more about proper lighting than most people. Their systems are reasonable and they work. Our lighting systems are actually very good from the start with true projectors for the halagen bulbs. All you need is the proper set up. Like most companys that sell aftermarket HID systems the people that sell them do not know about all the different cars and they may not really know how their systems need to be set up for your car. They just sell what they feel will work. Our cars need a error code eliminator connected prior to the ballasts and we do not need a relay. You could use a relay but the error code eliminator needs to be inserted prior the relay otherwise the relay will not stay closed so it's really best, in our case to not have the relays, as our cars can handle the power with ease.

Maybe the capacitors they use are too weak. You can go to "kbcarstuff" and get them there too. Go to automotive lighting, HID components, HID Kit components, Can Bus Fix. I have stopped using "DDM tuning" as their bulbs have been failing and everything ships from China, so it takes ten days or more. I have talked with the people at "The Retro Source" a lot but they don't know everything about each car. Just like I said, you need to know what "YOU" need and not what they want to sell you. The Retro Source mainly sells systems for people that are modding older cars and halogen housings with out projectors in them already. If you get the right person with the correct information it always makes purchasing much easier. Believe me, I have been into cars for more than 40 years. Just order on line and every thing will work out.

I talked to the nice guy at The Retro Source here in Atlanta and I told him my issue with the DRL. He said that the only fix was to go to a direct battery harness with relays that would be triggered with the voltage from the light computer for the low beam signal or the DRL signal. In other words I would be running day and night with my low beams at full power. This is because the HID bulb will not come on at anything other than the required voltage and the DRL signal is too low to power them. My advice is to order them from the factory when buying a new car or just use a better bulb in the existing socket. We are screwed because the single bulb HID system is not compatible with a reduced voltage DRL. The only way that I could see the AUTO position on the headlight switch working would be to put in a relay that would NOT allow the DRL to come on because of the low voltage not being high enough to trigger the relay to the DRL. I did see on Ask a Question, that web site that will answer any question on any subject for a fee, that you can eliminate the DRL altogether by jumping two pins of the computer. I did not consider this to be something I wanted to try. But there are enough people out there who do not want DRL period.

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
    I talked to the nice guy at The Retro Source here in Atlanta and I told him my issue with the DRL. He said that the only fix was to go to a direct battery harness with relays that would be triggered with the voltage from the light computer for the low beam signal or the DRL signal. In other words I would be running day and night with my low beams at full power. This is because the HID bulb will not come on at anything other than the required voltage and the DRL signal is too low to power them. My advice is to order them from the factory when buying a new car or just use a better bulb in the existing socket. We are screwed because the single bulb HID system is not compatible with a reduced voltage DRL. The only way that I could see the AUTO position on the headlight switch working would be to put in a relay that would NOT allow the DRL to come on because of the low voltage not being high enough to trigger the relay to the DRL. I did see on Ask a Question, that web site that will answer any question on any subject for a fee, that you can eliminate the DRL altogether by jumping two pins of the computer. I did not consider this to be something I wanted to try. But there are enough people out there who do not want DRL period.
    This pretty much sums it up for me as well. I can't see replacing the headlight bulbs when they're new, but when it comes time to replace them I'll try a brighter bulb. Cadillac needs to make HID headlamps available without having to get a high trim level package (on the SRX). At least I got rain sense and heated steering wheel.

phunter1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury

Given the DRL issue with HID's on our vehicles, I think I'll pass on the HID upgrade.
    I recently upgraded my low and high beam headlight bulbs. I installed Philips Crystal Vision Ultras in both locations. The cost was about $60 for the four bulbs on Amazon. In my case, I was pulling off the front bumper cover to install a transmission cooler and fog light kit and the headlights were easy to access so, at that point, it made sense to change the bulbs. In my opinion, the Crystal Vision bulbs are definitely whiter and brighter than the OEM bulbs, which were also Philips on my vehicle. The Crystal Vision bulbs are not as white or as bright as the factory HID's on my other car, but are a definite improvement over the stock bulbs. They seem to have a wider field of coverage as well. I chose Philips over Sylvania because they were less expensive, not because they were necessarily better. Also, there have been some complaints on Amazon about the life of the Sylvania Silver Stars.
    I am hoping someone give the HOD bulbs, that the Captain is recommending, a try. Don't necessarily want to be the early adopter.

Didn't mean to hijack the tread, only give some feedback on another option.

Phil

Ok guys, I have had aftermarket HID's in my car for 50,000 mi. and have not had one problem. I use a "antiflicker device,can-bus fix,error code eliminator" in my car and get DRL's that work like they are supposed to and keep my light switch in auto mode all of the time. I don't see why when I say to ues an error code eliminator and you don't try it you complain that our systems don't work. Quit asking questions of sales people that don't know our cars and just order the eliminators and try them. THEY WORK ON OUR CARS! I have responded to many threads and helped so many people on this forum and I keep hearing the same thing about relay harnesses and error code eliminators until I am blue. I even gave a $40 set of eliminators to someone on this forum for free and he put them in and his car works perfectly.
    By the way I talked to Andrew at "The Retrofit Source" about their eliminators and he didn't even know how DRL's worked on modern can-bus cars and I had to tell them how they worked. He assumed that newer cars used a resister to lower the voltage to 6-8 volts. That is NOT how our cars get DRL's. USE THE ELIMINATORS. GET THEM FROM "KBCARSTUFF" AS IN THE POST ABOVE.
    themacguy and themacguy like this.

bwclemons, I was responding to your advice to call the Retro Source here in Atlanta. They told me that our cars could not have the HID DRL because of the lower voltage supplied to them. Now you are saying that they now do not know what they are talking about. If what you are claiming is that the lower voltage is caused by pulsing of the power source to the DRL then your error code eliminators would appear to be adding another pulse to make them a steady voltage which is full power to the HIDs and therefore would make them work but at full power. If this is the case then I do not think that is such a great idea because you run the HIDs all the time. The people at Retro Source told me that no matter how you do it the HID bulbs require full power to operate. They offered a harness for $30 that would power the DRL at full voltage in the auto position and it sounds like the error code eliminators are doing the same thing. I do not want to offend you for your attempt to help us on this forum and I thank you for your effort. As it sounds now to me the HIDs will not work at anything but full voltage and any device that keeps them on is essentially supplying full voltage to them in the DRL position and not a reduced voltage as designed. If I have a mistaken opinion of this whole issue please feel free to straighten me out. I will contact KBcarstuff and talk to them today.

I just got off the phone with KBcarstuff and they confirmed what I suspected that the DRL's will be powered all the time at full low beam voltage with their capacitors installed. I ordered a set to have if I decide to use them. At this time they are selling them for $24 and a 5% discount plus free shipping. The bottom line is that we will have our low beams on all of the time. I do not know how long the bulbs will last at that level of usage but I'm sure someone has had experience with this problem. Again thank you for your patient effort to help those of us who want better night time lighting.

The bulbs will last for years. You will have a new car before one of those bulbs burns out. And at about $40 a pair you can buy a new set. Come on, a light bulb is nothing after spending $40,000 + on a car.
    I Spend that much for dinner and it's gone.

It's not the cost of the bulb but the getting to the bulb that concerns me. It's like the one on top of the Empire State building.-

I agree it's a bitch. I've been in so many light housings now I can do both lights in about 45min. I still think it's easier to take the front facia off then removing the fuse block and the air cleaner. I'm sure you will love having the car work like it was designed to. It's too bad that the ballasts with the eliminators blew. This will work out ok though and you will be happy again. Too bad plug and play is not all that easy sometimes. At least Cadillac gave us housings with good quality projectors to start off with. Like we have all said before, GM's premium brand, Cadillac, should have led DRL's and Hid lights to begin with along with fogs.

I got the two diodes today after three weeks in the US mail. It was a simple snap in installation and the two HD lights now run all of the time the car is on. I can only hope that they last because changing them is a bitch!

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
    I got the two diodes today after three weeks in the US mail. It was a simple snap in installation and the two HD lights now run all of the time the car is on. I can only hope that they last because changing them is a bitch!
    Where did you end up getting the diodes from? What exactly are they called? I'm glad you finally got things working properly. I too hope they last a long time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.