Cadillac Owners Forum banner

What's up with the cheap floor mats?

9K views 61 replies 16 participants last post by  msupilot 
#1 ·
I can't believe these flimsy mats that came with my new 2012 SRX Luxury. I am trying to decide which mats to buy. Without being able to touch and feel them, it's difficult to choose from the Lloyd's online. I like both the Crest and SRX embroidery though. What type/level would be a good choice without having to break the bank?

#3 ·
I like the Lloyds berber mats. Very good quality just a bit pricey but worth it.

Funny, there is nearly an identical thread over on the CTS-V general discussion board about the crappy mats. I've had a 2010 SRX, a 2010 EXT and a 2012 CTS-V and the mats are all junk and unfit to be part of a Cadillac product. I guess that's what keeps Lloyds in business.

#4 ·
It's called "Bean counters". They decide what to cut when the budget comes under attack from the CEO. The CEO and his minions never have to cut anything but the bean counters take what little they can from the loyal customers cars. It happens in every industry without exception except maybe Apple. I remember when American Airlines took one olive off of each coach salad, remember when coach served meals?, to save $80,000 a year. If they had just removed the salad it would have saved them even more! I too was horrified when I saw the quality of the factory mats. Then I made a bigger mistake by ordering WheatherTech mats that were not the custom fit model. The custom fit model actually fits our cars and stay in place. The ones I have now move constantly and end up about 6 inches under the pedal after about a week. BTW, the two posts in our cars on the floor are not actually posts. They are tapered like an upside down ice cream cone and will not hold any after market mat unless it has the same snap as the OEM mats. Good design huh? No after market stuff for us.

#5 ·
I had 3 BMW's and the quality of the OEM mats, both carpeted and all weather, were outstanding. The all weather mats had a different anchoring system, but it worked well. I don't mind paying for mats, but HATE to go aftermarket. OEM will always fit best. So I have to try and decide on which mats to get. I much prefer carpet to the utilitarian weather tech mats. Those will be for the winter.

#6 ·
I wonder if they made changes.

My 2010 mats have been in there since the beginning, fit almost perfectly (could cover the little bump under the seat better), and still look brand new.

I have no complaints at all. They are light and flimsy, but they actually hold up pretty well.

Did they cheapen them, or have people just made the assumption by looking at them that they aren't good quality?

#7 ·
It is true that I am going by the looks of them. I have no idea how they'll hold up, but I would like to have some logo or something on them. Even my Honda Fit had a logo on both the carpeted and all weather. I had to pay for those, but as I said I don't mind paying.

#10 ·
I just ordered a set of Lloyd mats with the embroidered Cadillac emblems on them from Auto Pride, one of our site's sponsors, and will let you all know how they are. They are offering free shipping which is about $16 off the normal price. If you are like me I had a hard time with their site and the free shipping code use. But they contacted me and told me not to worry that they would honor the free shipping anyway. Cheers!

#12 ·
I posted a reply in the beginning about the Lloyd ultimats that I purchased back in May. I purchase the Ultimats with the Cadillac Crest in dark brown which matches the Brownstone very well and will be much easier to maintain. I am in California so don't need all weather. The look fantastic and fit perfectly.....

#14 ·
Hey Dino,
I would really like to see some pics of the floor mats. My wife's SRX has the shale/brownstone and I am looking for mats. BTW, I saw an earlier post from you asking about wheels. I had the GM SRX 20" chrome accessory wheel installed by the dealer when we purchashed it. I posted some pics in the thread about 2013 SRX wheels (because of the picture that matched what we had installed)

#13 ·
I agree...the Cadillac OEM mats are as cheap as I have ever seen. When I bought my 2012 SRX Luxury, it had the Caddy all-weather mats..which are very good quality and fit perfectly.However, I wanted carpeted mats with the Caddy logo for a more luxurious look...
When I my father purchased his SRX a couple of months ago, I asked the Sales Manager if he could "help me out" with a new set of Cadillac carpeted mats...which he graciously did (he gave me a brand new set of front mats FREE)...and they are sitting on a shelf in my garage because I refused to put them in the SRX due to their cheap construction and look. I then ordered new front mats from Lloyd through Auto Pride, and could not be happier. While not cheap by any means, I ordered the Luxe (top of the line) mats with the Cadillac logo and am very impressed. Very thick mats, already treated with stain repellent, and the logo looks fantastic. Highly recommend the Lloyd mats. Still cannot believe that Cadillac puts such cheap mats in their vehicles. And...Cadillac does not offer an OEM logo mat, either!

#17 ·
Years ago, I can remember that luxury cars had plush carpeting. Jaguar still offers a plush wool mat. It may be extra costs.
No kidding, things aint what they used to be. I can remember when Walmart used to advertise "Made in the USA"!!!
Ironically as far as the mats, my wife is allergic to wool so the synthetic isnt a negative, but the factory mat appearance is.

#22 ·
Does the cargo liner allow for use of the cargo management system, or is it full coverage? All the cargo mats/covers that I have seen say full coverage. I purchased a Husky cargo liner and it's nice, but it's full coverage. I would like to be able to get something that is no larger than the carpet surface in the back.

#25 ·
I received my Lloyd mats today and they are real pretty. The Cadillac logo is nice and crisp and they are pretty well cut.......But the securing system that they use is junk. It is not the snap-through mat system that the OEM mats use. It is a riveted plastic strip on the underside of the mat that does not let the posts come through the mat. This makes them have a wave look and the rivet head can be seen as two small holes or flaws in the carpet. I am surprised that the mat companies cannot use the same system that Cadillac uses. It must be a proprietary issue. After my HID after market problems and now two sets of substandard mats, one set from WeatherTech, from the after market world I done with the people who have you at their mercy. I am not casting aspersions against the people as individuals but as sellers of products that a quality car owner would not consider on a par with their car.

#27 ·
I do not know the level of mat I ordered but if they have different levels of attachment then it is up to them to let the customer know BEFORE they order. WeatherTech did the same thing to me by not telling me that their upper grade mats or digital mats were a much better fit and that the posts on the regular mats do not work on their regular mats. These vendors need to get it together and actually SERVE the customer. What could the snaps that came on the OEM mats cost that would put them into another level of mat? This is just bad business and deceptive as well.

#28 ·
inspectorudy said:
I do not know the level of mat I ordered but if they have different levels of attachment then it is up to them to let the customer know BEFORE they order. WeatherTech did the same thing to me by not telling me that their upper grade mats or digital mats were a much better fit and that the posts on the regular mats do not work on their regular mats. These vendors need to get it together and actually SERVE the customer. What could the snaps that came on the OEM mats cost that would put them into another level of mat? This is just bad business and deceptive as well.
By level I mean Lux Ultimat Berber etc. I did see different hook/anchor systems online.

#29 ·
I ordered the Ultimate level and this is the buyer's guide that I had to use. As you can see they use the term "Snap fastener" which would lead youi to believe that it is the snap that we have on the OEM mats. It's not. It's a cheap plastic film riveted to the mat right through the carpet fiber which leaves what looks like a drop of grease or coffee on the mat. Plus the tab is held on by one simple rivet which once it breaks will be of no use what so ever in securing the mat. I am really disappointed by this and I realize now that after market stuff that you cannot return is a bummer and I will NEVER order this stuff again.

Attachments

#33 ·
Mine are the color of my interior which is a very light beige and the rivet marks are plainly visible. If yours are dark then you just can't see the marks made by the rivets. The point is that for a few cents more they could have used the OEM snap instead of a flimsy plastic strip held on by one single rivet. Like I said they are pretty and well cut with a nice logo but the anchor is lousy.

#35 ·
I was preparing to order some of the Lloyds mats for my wife's SRX and saw these comments. I am not pleased with the attachment design and will most likely forego this "upgrade".

View attachment 96745
Alot of folks seem pleased with these mats. What, if any, is an alternative solution? I certainly would like to 'upgrade' the stock mats myself.

#36 ·
As far as carpeted/logo mats, I believe Lloyds is the only option. I agree that a number of folks seem to be pleased with these, and I would expect the mats themselves to be great. I am overly picky, and became disgruntled when I read about the mats laying 'on top of' the post, instead of affixing onto the post, like the crappy factory mats. My wife was pretty excited about the logo and appearance of these mats, so I may have to suck it up and get them anyway. It's just, how much did they really save by not using a plastic grommet that would snap onto the post???

#38 ·
I know there are people concerned with the mounting not being like the factory post however I have had Lloyds mats in my Tahoe for 8 years and they have post mounts, and still slip off at times. For what its worth the Lloyds in my SRX haven't moved yet and seem to laydown fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.