XM Traffic & Weather?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, XM Traffic & Weather? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Newbie here. I have XM in an aftermarket radio with a subscription that's paid for 1 year. This includes all ...
    300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

XM Traffic & Weather?

Newbie here. I have XM in an aftermarket radio with a subscription that's paid for 1 year. This includes all channels, and XM online. For the record, it was $195. I have had my SRX for going on 3 weeks now, and will be transferring the subscription from the other radio,as my wife is now driving that car and doesn't care about XM, FM, or anything much really. I figure I should wait for the trial to run out on the SRX (3 months) before transferring the service, but have a few questions. I have Nav in my SRX and also see the traffic and weather features integrated into the system. I'm assuming the both weather and traffic are coming from XM and will therefore need to be paid for or become inactive. The questions are:
    1. Is it correct that both weather and traffic are paid subscriptions through XM?
    2. Do people find either of these helpful in driving situations?
    3. How much would it be to add these services to my subscription?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Re: XM Traffic & Weather?

Re question number two, in or close to a major metro area covered by XM, I find the traffic (and weather) useful for the main highways and the interstates. But when I get on the same major interstate about 15-20 miles outside of town (Boston) the traffic reports are useless, even if there is a major accident, stoppage, or backup. Guess that is to be expected and on a road trip could be useful when trying to decide "go through the city or go around." A GPS with live traffic and rerouting options is far better, traffic wise.

PJ

jcarlilesiu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Ice SRX4 Luxury Collection +Nav +RSE - 35,000M

Living and working in Chicago, I use both features often.

Additionally, the system will prompt you about upcoming traffic events even if you don't have a route planned. Many times, I have been on the expressway going home, and I know my way, and the system notifies me of slow traffic ahead. A couple of quick checks on the screen later, and many times I have jumped off the highway and surely saved quite a bit of time off the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
    Living and working in Chicago, I use both features often.

Additionally, the system will prompt you about upcoming traffic events even if you don't have a route planned. Many times, I have been on the expressway going home, and I know my way, and the system notifies me of slow traffic ahead. A couple of quick checks on the screen later, and many times I have jumped off the highway and surely saved quite a bit of time off the drive.
    How do you receive alerts if not on a route? Please be specific?

Quote Originally Posted by 300:29:1 View Post
    How do you receive alerts if not on a route? Please be specific?
    So long as I am traveling with my nav screen open, the system monitors the road ahead of you.

For instance, if I am traveling west on Interstate 290 and it detects slow traffic ahead on THAT road, it notifies me. It won't look at any other roads around you but the one you are on.

The alert pops up all the time around Chicago's loop when I am traveling in-bound and out-bound.
    300:29:1 and 300:29:1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
    So long as I am traveling with my nav screen open, the system monitors the road ahead of you.

For instance, if I am traveling west on Interstate 290 and it detects slow traffic ahead on THAT road, it notifies me. It won't look at any other roads around you but the one you are on.

The alert pops up all the time around Chicago's loop when I am traveling in-bound and out-bound.
    Thanks.

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    That link doesn't work.

That link doesn't work.
    It's not supposed to. This board turned it into a link but it won't launch that type of link. That's why I said copy and paste it to your browser's address bar. Then it will work.

Tried copying and pasting several times both with and without the "XM traffic weather price site:" and the only place I get is back to this forum.

Tried copying and pasting several times both with and without the "XM traffic weather price site:" and the only place I get is back to this forum.
    OK. It works for me. Sorry you can't get it to work.

rlimas is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium w/Nav

Nav here as well, pay for the Traffic and Weather only. Use it everyday for traffic congestion and construction, system will automatically prompt of bad traffic and weather conditions on your current direction/route.

1. Is it correct that both weather and traffic are paid subscriptions through XM? - Yes
    2. Do people find either of these helpful in driving situations? - Yes
    3. How much would it be to add these services to my subscription? - $3.99 Package is XM NavTraffic (R) 1 Month

etexlady is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 Luxury SRX Crystal Red Tintcoat

I just renewed my XM subscription. I went through a hassle last year when switching from the trial to a paid subscription. I don't think the XM rep knew what he was doing. He kept insisting that the weather was a function of General Motors and they would have to authorize it. He said he would do me a favor and send and email to GM notifying them to authorize the weather. Never happened. Most recently when I did my renewal the rep said much the same thing but said I would have to take the car in to the dealer and they could "flash" the radio to get the weather working again. This is the weather that appears on the nav screen, not the XM weather and traffic channels. I think we had this discussion in another thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by etexlady View Post
    I just renewed my XM subscription. I went through a hassle last year when switching from the trial to a paid subscription. I don't think the XM rep knew what he was doing. He kept insisting that the weather was a function of General Motors and they would have to authorize it. He said he would do me a favor and send and email to GM notifying them to authorize the weather. Never happened. Most recently when I did my renewal the rep said much the same thing but said I would have to take the car in to the dealer and they could "flash" the radio to get the weather working again. This is the weather that appears on the nav screen, not the XM weather and traffic channels. I think we had this discussion in another thread here.
    XM has to have the worst customer service I have ever experienced. It is like they don't train them at all, they don't even understand the product they are selling, its pathetic.

I just got off the phone with XM and they are saying that they don't offer weather, just Nav Traffic. I'm still in my 3 month trial and am looking at pricing to continue the service. I feel that having both the traffic and weather tied into the navigation system will be a nice thing to have. I want to get it right the first time. Do I need to keep calling XM until someone tells me that I CAN get weather through them? Does anyone know if they have both traffic and weather through XM on their radio? So frustrating here.
    EDIT: I just looked at the XM site and weather is not showing as available for Cadillac vehicles. So where does the weather in my SRX come from?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.