Cadillac Owners Forum banner

XM Radio lifetime subscription

8K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  C&C 
#1 ·
I purchased a lifetime subscription when I purchased my 2007 Buick Lucerne. Since we use the car very little now, I contacted XM and requested that the subscription on it be cancelled on it and be transferred to my Cadillac SRX which also had XM, not lifetime. At first was told that it would be a $75 charge to change it and I agreed. However, after being put on hold, I was told that it could not be changed to SRX. Was told that it was stated in the contract. I will let my subscription on the SRX expire and not renew. Also, after being a long time customer, when I purchase another vehicle, I will not subscribe to XM. Just thought others should be aware if they did not already know.

#3 ·
Its in the fine print when you purchase a lifetime subscription to XM.
It is non transferable, and can only be done on integrated deck units in vehicles. (Stock decks, not aftermarket)

#6 ·
"Lifetime" meaning, the life of the car? Not the life of the human?

Considering the human purchased the "lifetime" subscription, and the Buick LaSabre didn't call into XM itself with credit card in hand and order the subscription, I would say Sirius is walking on pretty thin ice here.

#4 ·
These are the typical games XM/Sirius play. They are getting worse than the Cell phone companies.

I decided long ago I would not renew 3 year or even 1 year plans and give them my credit card number. I now only subscribe for 6 months, then when it expires, I wait for them to end me a "Come Back to XM" offer for 5.00 per month deal.

#5 ·
Lifetime subscriptions do state that they're non transferable. I don't like this, but they do tell you upfront. I like the idea that someone here had to jump on the "comeback for $5 a month offers". I prefer a year at a time and also elect for online access for a little more. While I don't care for their pricing, I can't see being without XM/Sirius.

#7 ·
I didn't read enough of the fine print. The person I talked with didn't try to get me to just keep extending my subscription on the SRX. Just said that since the SRX had a stock radio in it, not one of theirs, nothing could be done. Evidently, they have plenty of customers. When I followed up and checked the expiration date on my Lucerne's "lifetime subscription" it shows that it expires in 2019. I guess they figure that is the lifetime of the subscription. I will be loading the music I like on thumb drives or on the hard drive in the SRX for music other than AM/FM for listening after my subscription expires shortly on the SRX and I WILL NOT purchase another XM subscription on any future vehicles.

#9 ·
If I remember right, lifetime refers to the lifetime ownership of the vehicle.
If you keep a vehicle for five years, it pays for itself at the regular renewal rate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.