Gas Flap on SRX
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Gas Flap on SRX in Cadillac SRX Forums; I recently purchased the 2012 SRX Crossover (Luxury Model) and love it! Cadillac out did themselves on this Crossover, however, ...
    Maadmax is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): srx

Post Gas Flap on SRX

I recently purchased the 2012 SRX Crossover (Luxury Model) and love it! Cadillac out did themselves on this Crossover, however, I was very surprise to see of all the luxury and safety features Cadillac offers, why would they not have an automatic locking Gas Flap Door on the SRX. And what is intriguing, there is what appears holes all ready in place where a plugging rod system could be used that could actually lock the Flap Door (preventing public access to the gas cap) . I don't expect my neighbors to be siphoning off my gas, but I do park at Malls, Airports, Sport Arenas and various Cities in Public Areas. The fact that they installed standard auto child safety locks (on the rear doors), kind of makes you feel how much more could this feature have cost them to incorporate. I looked to see if this feature is offered as an accessory (since it apppears the holes are already there), but it isn't. I also looked to see if it's available on other models, which it isn't stated. Something so simple, but yet forgotten, by Cadillac at that!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

Re: Gas Flap on SRX

I was a little surprised that Cadillac did not offer in inside release too. Most of the cars I have owned in the past that were considered luxury had them. I noticed that the new XTS has no cap at all but a simple spring loaded push in cap for the filler. You just open the door, push in the filler cap with the nozzle and pump away.

VHA
    VHA is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 Cadillac Performance SRX - AWD

I've done my share of research to find a locking gas cap or locking gas-door, for the SRX. No luck. Apparently, no one makes such a thing. I'd love to have a locking door, even if it can't be opened from inside the vehicle.
    Maadmax and Maadmax like this.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

The inspector has it right, soon gas caps are going the way of the dinosaurs...
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

phunter1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury

I too was surprised that my SRX didn't have a locking gas door and even asked the dealer about it. I was told that the filler tube has an anti siphon device installed in it, but could not find anything about it in the owners manual. I haven't tried pushing a hose into the tank to see if there really is a device installed though. It sounds like the new XTS is similar to my 2012 Chrysler 300C which does not have a gas cap. The cap is integrated into the locking door. Release the door and the cap is released.

Phil
    Maadmax and Maadmax like this.

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

Quote Originally Posted by phunter1 View Post
    I too was surprised that my SRX didn't have a locking gas door and even asked the dealer about it. I was told that the filler tube has an anti siphon device installed in it, but could not find anything about it in the owners manual. I haven't tried pushing a hose into the tank to see if there really is a device installed though. It sounds like the new XTS is similar to my 2012 Chrysler 300C which does not have a gas cap. The cap is integrated into the locking door. Release the door and the cap is released.

Phil
    I know that on some larger commercial vehicles, you can't siphon fuel out, because there is some sort of narrowing material in the filler neck. Stiking a hose in there, you will not be able to extend in into the tank. I haven't tried sticking a hose into my week old SRX's tank yet. I'm still figuring everything out.

Maadmax is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): srx

Post Re: Gas Flap on SRX

Thanks all for your input, opinions, and viewpoints on this topic. I too am still amazed at all the additional features I'm still finding out exist on my 2012-SRX, especially through this forum. At least I know now a locking Gas Door Flap does not indeed exist. It's evident this is the right place to be when having a question or concern with our Cadillac. I just can't believe something so simplistic as putting an auto locking Gas Door Flap was forgotten by Cadillac. Oh well, at least there's so many other features they made available to us that we can enjoy. Thanks again.

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Quote Originally Posted by 300:29:1 View Post
    I know that on some larger commercial vehicles, you can't siphon fuel out, because there is some sort of narrowing material in the filler neck. Stiking a hose in there, you will not be able to extend in into the tank. I haven't tried sticking a hose into my week old SRX's tank yet. I'm still figuring everything out.
    Siphoning isn't the only thing a person could do. What about those types that like to destroy others' property--perhaps putting something inappropriate in the gas tank opening? Rocks, water, etc.
    allgm, allgm, PJ1520 and 3 others like this.

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

I agree with you Steve that the most important reason to have a locking gas door is the integrity of the engine and not a few gallons of gas. In fact if and when someone tries to siphon gas from one of our cars and finds out it is not possible he may decide to get even by putting something into the tank. As we all have heard just a couple cubes of sugar will ruin the engine in most cars.

retafchief is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
    I agree with you Steve that the most important reason to have a locking gas door is the integrity of the engine and not a few gallons of gas. In fact if and when someone tries to siphon gas from one of our cars and finds out it is not possible he may decide to get even by putting something into the tank. As we all have heard just a couple cubes of sugar will ruin the engine in most cars.
    Recently purchased a 2012 SRX Luxury. Quickly noticed that there was no lock/internal control of the gas filler door. Tried to insert multiple size hoses/cables (piece of 5/8 water hose down to a 3/16 piece of audio cable) and everything stopped at 33 1/2 inches without touching gas. (Tank was half full) so it appears that the tank cannot be siphoned. While I also would prefer control to present someone from putting something (sugar, dirt, other chemicals) in the tank, damage of this type should be covered by a good "comprehensive" insurance policy.

toggan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX AWD Sport Luxury, 3.0 V6

I have an European model of the SRX 2011 (Sport and Luxury). I have a locking gas door. It locks with a loud click when I lock the car.
    Maybe it's because the terrible gas prices in Europe.

hsfbfan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by phunter1 View Post

Phil
    We just purchased a 2011 SRX Luxury and I was surprised to find a gas cap at all. I thought just about everyone had gone to the capless design. My 09 F150 has it and it is awesome.[COLOR="Silver"]

'12CTSman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 SRX AWD Premium

I just found this old thread thru the search function. Wow, I've had my SRX for 6 months now and just noticed today that there is a hole on the fuel door for a locking system. Shame on you Cadillac for not including this feature. Also, a capless fill would be nice too. Maybe it will be included on the 3rd Gen SRX.

retcad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

One thing I like is that there's a little hook on the fuel door where you can hang the tether attached to the cap while filling. This prevents lots of fine scratches that accumulated over time on previous vehicles of mine. I didn't even notice it until I was glancing through the manual.

GMFAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium w/20" chrome

There are other problems associated with having a gas cap. If it is not secured properly, you will get a malfunction message. The tether can break off, happen on my Sport Wagon, until it gets fixed you have nowhere to place the gas cap. Cap's, on occassion, do need to be replaced, usually covered under warranty but another inconvenience.

Locking gas doors are really nice. Give's you a little sense of security. However, if that evil person(s) really want's to damage your engine by putting junk into your tank, they'll pry open the door quickly with a nice size screw driver.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.