OEM HID Conversion possible?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, OEM HID Conversion possible? in Cadillac SRX Forums; I realize that there are aftermarket solutions out there, but am wondering if I can get HID headlights installed in ...
    300:29:1 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

OEM HID Conversion possible?

I realize that there are aftermarket solutions out there, but am wondering if I can get HID headlights installed in my 2012 Luxury from the dealer. I really wanted them badly, but could not justify or really afford the next level in options. I would gladly have paid for them as a standalone option. I don't feel comfortable with inexpensive aftermarket solutions, both from a warranty standpoint and am concerned as to how long they will last. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

phunter1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury

Re: OEM HID Conversion possible?

Since you got no replies, I'll take a shot. This would likely be a costly to do with OEM parts, since you will need to replace the entire headlight housings and they are around $700 each from GM. Of course, you might be able to get them on Ebay or elsewhere used and save some money. Second, I think you might need a different wiring harness. On the OEM HID setup, the low beam and high beam are in the same bulb, whereas the low beam and high beam are different bulbs on the halogen setup on your Luxury model. The high beam on the Luxury is used as the daytime running light on the HID setup, so the wiring is definitely different. I don't blame you for not wanting one of the cheap aftermarket HID kits since the quality is suspect, but Phillips also makes an HID conversion kit. It's not cheap, but I would expect it to be high quality given the company that makes it. This will give you HID low beams only. The high beams will still be halogen. You can replace the high beams bulbs with Phillips Crystalvision Ultras or Sylvania Silverstar Ultras. This will give you about 50% more light and a white light instead of a yellow one from the high beams so they are similar in color to the low beams. Here is a link to the Phillip HID kit.:
    http://www.philipsxenon.com/cadillac...ips-hid-p-1221

Hope you find this useful.

Phil

duplicate entry

Quote Originally Posted by phunter1 View Post
    Since you got no replies, I'll take a shot. This would likely be a costly to do with OEM parts, since you will need to replace the entire headlight housings and they are around $700 each from GM. Of course, you might be able to get them on Ebay or elsewhere used and save some money. Second, I think you might need a different wiring harness. On the OEM HID setup, the low beam and high beam are in the same bulb, whereas the low beam and high beam are different bulbs on the halogen setup on your Luxury model. The high beam on the Luxury is used as the daytime running light on the HID setup, so the wiring is definitely different. I don't blame you for not wanting one of the cheap aftermarket HID kits since the quality is suspect, but Phillips also makes an HID conversion kit. It's not cheap, but I would expect it to be high quality given the company that makes it. This will give you HID low beams only. The high beams will still be halogen. You can replace the high beams bulbs with Phillips Crystalvision Ultras or Sylvania Silverstar Ultras. This will give you about 50% more light and a white light instead of a yellow one from the high beams so they are similar in color to the low beams. Here is a link to the Phillip HID kit.:
    http://www.philipsxenon.com/cadillac...ips-hid-p-1221

Hope you find this useful.

Phil
    This is great information! Thank You!
    But what about my DRL's? Also, this site doesn't look like Phillips, but it's hard to tell.

No issue with the day time running lights with this kit. They will work just as they do now. The low beam lights operate at reduced power to provide them. You will notice that the ballasts in this kit have built in Can-Bus circuitry for flickering. This allows the day time running lights to work normally and also solves the dash warning light issue. It is really just a capacitor. The site is not the actual Phillips Electronics company but an authorized vendor. You cannot buy directly from Phillips. There are several other vendors to choose from if you search the internet. Most of the HID kits that are available for less money require you to buy and install a separate anti flicker device. Not very expensive, but another item you need to find a place to mount, with additional complexity. Here is another link to a site where a different kit was installed in a 2012 SRX with good results:

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/2012-Cadil...t-s/245129.htm

Phil

Also, you might want to check with your dealer to see if the Phillip kit is available through them, as the OEM lights are Phillips.. They might even install it for a fee. Some dealer do this type of work. Granted you will pay more for the light kit, but if you're not handy or don't want to tackle it, that might be an option. Just a thought.

PHil

More good info. Thanks. I'll check with the dealer.

packardv8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Saab 9-4X Premium XWD

In my experience, it costs far more to buy it one piece at a time retail than it would have cost as part of the option. Someone calculated the dealer parts cost six times more than the MSRP of the assembled car. Your results may vary.

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

I just ordered the Phillips HID conversion kit and will install it with photos and let you know how it turns out. I am looking for true plug and play and not car dis-assembly. I can handle plug and play but have no interest in taking the entire front clip off to change a head lamp bulb.

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
    I just ordered the Phillips HID conversion kit and will install it with photos and let you know how it turns out. I am looking for true plug and play and not car dis-assembly. I can handle plug and play but have no interest in taking the entire front clip off to change a head lamp bulb.
    Looking at the owner's manual, it seems to me that in order to remove and replace the low beam bulb some disassembly is indeed required (albeit minor). There are obstacles that get in the way of reaching the bulb. I'm looking forward to your install and pics.

Quote Originally Posted by packardv8 View Post
    In my experience, it costs far more to buy it one piece at a time retail than it would have cost as part of the option. Someone calculated the dealer parts cost six times more than the MSRP of the assembled car. Your results may vary.
    As I stated, in order to get HID's with the car, I would have had to go up to the performance or premium collection. That would have added $5-$6K to the price. There MUST be a cheaper way to get satisfactory results.

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

I am aware that there will be blood under the hood and that I will have to remove some things. But I feel that they will be minor items that block the back of the light housing. I just didn't want to go through taking the front of the car off and possibly scratching it up or breaking one of the screw tabs that hold it on. If any of you have ever worked with trim panels on a GM car you know how easy the tabs break especially the long push pins that are part of the trim. I guess all makes are that way but it is still sickening when a tab breaks that is important to hold the panel/piece in place. If this kit is truly plug and play I will do it and show you how to do it too. If not then we will have exposed another company that fails to live up to their claims.

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
    I am aware that there will be blood under the hood and that I will have to remove some things. But I feel that they will be minor items that block the back of the light housing. I just didn't want to go through taking the front of the car off and possibly scratching it up or breaking one of the screw tabs that hold it on. If any of you have ever worked with trim panels on a GM car you know how easy the tabs break especially the long push pins that are part of the trim. I guess all makes are that way but it is still sickening when a tab breaks that is important to hold the panel/piece in place. If this kit is truly plug and play I will do it and show you how to do it too. If not then we will have exposed another company that fails to live up to their claims.
    Point taken, and hoping the install goes as expected.

hawkowl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by packardv8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 300:29:1 View Post
    As I stated, in order to get HID's with the car, I would have had to go up to the performance or premium collection. That would have added $5-$6K to the price. There MUST be a cheaper way to get satisfactory results.
    My reason for choosing a luxury SRX over Performance was the superior ride on rough and gravel roads. I have already added dealer installed OEM foglights, and these help quite a bit, but really want to upgrade to HID's as well.

I see there are two color choices for the Philips HID conversion kit...does anyone know which of the color options offers superior performance or more closely matches the OEM lights? Thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.