Windshield replacement going on #3????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Windshield replacement going on #3???? in Cadillac SRX Forums; We have a 2011 SRX and love the vehicle... Noticed a ghost film on the factory windshield after several months ...
    randyespo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Windshield replacement going on #3????

We have a 2011 SRX and love the vehicle... Noticed a ghost film on the factory windshield after several months and would not clean up.
    The dealer replaced it under warranty and the next one had several wipe marks looking like ghost marks again. Changed it out last week
    and the new one has another ghost wipe mark right in the drivers line of vision. Shows in the bright sun or at night. I feel foolish to keep
    complaining about this..Have tried cleaning with several types of cleaners and even tried acetone.... Anyone else have this problem??
    Thanks.... Randy....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

Re: Windshield replacement going on #3????

I had a film on my windshield that only showed up at night or when it was raining. I told the service manager and he sent it back to the garage to be cleaned. When I went to pick up my car I poured water over the areas where the film had been and it was still there. The service manager himself went and brought out some Bon Amie cleanser and with a lot of scrubbing it came off. He had never seen anything like it before. Bon Amie is known for NOT scratching glass so if you try to clean it yourself do not use an abrasive like Comet. My advice is to make the dealer do it because if you screw it up they will not replace the windshield.

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Randy,
    Yes, I have that exact same issue. I haven't decided what to do about it either. It is obviously a 'wipe mark', but I have tried several things to get it out and none have worked. I haven't done the Bon Amie yet, but have tried detailing clay and other cleaners. I cant tell if it is on the inside or outside, or even perhaps between layers (if the windshield is multiple layers).... I'm trying to decide if it is worth the chance of an install problem with a new windshield vs just living with it. It only happens in certain sunlight conditions (generally driving into slightly off-center sun) but one of those situations happens to be driving up my street in the evening... Its much more an irritation than a obstruction. My dealer, though, is fantastic about working to resolve any issues I have.

embassy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04CTS, 07STS,10 SRX,Now 13 SRX Premium and 13 ATS Premium

Had a similar problem with my 2010. Took 3 trips to the dealer to actually get it clean. First it was blamed on water leaking through the concrete parking garage where they store new vehicles. Then it was hydraulic fluid residue from the robots in the factory. Then it was something else. They got it mostly clean, but you didn't really want to drive into the sun as the film was definitely still there. Was also obvious at night and when raining. Then my windshield cracked and it had to be replaced. The new one is perfect - none of the film issues at all.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.