Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Value of the SRX

5K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  inspectorudy 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 SRX. I have researched the value of the SRX drops like bricks over the years. I see the best thing to do is to make sure you want this SRX before you buy it or trade it fast.

#3 ·
LOL...I thought you were going to relax and enjoy your new ride! Agree that EVERY new car drops in value the moment you drive it off the lot, and the first generation SRX probably dropped more once the second generation became available (all about supply and demand). Cars that almost never significantly update their appearance (like the ultra bland lexus RX) might maintain their value a bit more as older vehicles look almost identical to the new models. If you can't stand the idea of a big depreciation the first year then you are better off purchasing a lightly used vehicle.

#4 ·
LOL...I thought you were going to relax and enjoy your new ride! .....
Yeah that. Where's my photo of the drama llama?

ALL luxury vehicles will lose approximately 30% of their value in the first year of ownership. New cars aren't a good financial investment, ie: they're not going to appreciate. Maybe invest in real estate?

It seems like the OP wants a car that's guaranteed not to break or malfunction, and that doesn't go down in value as the miles add up. :bigroll:

#7 ·
Probably suffering a little from the Gen I SRX; the world is catching on to their problems;; offered $9,000 for my 2006 with 51,000 miles! They said they
"knew about them" and they were right; mine burned oil like crazy!!!!! Cadillac would do nothing; I hope the newer ones don't suffer because Cadillac dropped the QC on the first ones!!!!

#8 ·
Unfortunately it is not just GM that leaves their old models and its owners in the dust. Every car maker does it. There is no profit in retrofitting an older model just to make the owners happy. However, it does harm the long term image of the company when they screw so many people over a long period of time. Even though it is great that GM is making new SRX's it means that the older models will fall in value faster because of the major design changes. With the coming new model on a different frame it will make the second gen's value fall even faster. The secret is to enjoy your car now and insure the hell out of it. When I was in the Porsche Club of America we had a long forum debate on carrying a fire extinguisher or not. The final consensus was to insure it to the max and let it burn! Of course we were not talking about a car with children in the back seat like our SRX's might possibly be. It's a dog eat dog world and we cannot reasonably expect ANY company to spend money that they can LEGALLY avoid.

#10 ·
I know you were asking dctex99, and hopefully they will answer, as I am curious as well. I did test drive one prior to purchasing my SRX and found it a bit bland for my tastes...interior, exterior, driving were all very serene and composed, but didn't quite provide the level of excitement I was looking for (more upper middle class soccer mom than middle aged man having mid life crisis). Overall I prefer the bolder style, interior, and driving habits of the SRX. If I was worried about value for my money and resale, I would have purchased a camry or a honda fit!

#19 ·
Something I have noticed is that the original group that posted here about their SRX's seem to have dropped out. I take that to mean that their cars are doing fine and that no new issues have come up. This is a typical cycle in car forums and we can all be thankful that there are no new issues with our great cars.

#20 ·
I suspect the Lexus 350 forum already know about him all too well. Too bad his mommy still lets him play with the computer. I may be one of those inspectorrudy is talking about that hasn't been around lately. Lots of things going on with work and my father's health have kept me busy. He is also right that our 10 is still performing flawlessly. I asked my wife just the other day if she was about ready to trade, as we usually only keep a car about 2 years. We have had the SRX about 2 and a half now, and she said she still loves the car and doesn't see anything out there, that she would want to replace her SRXwith, so I guess we will have it for the foreseeable future. Maybe another SRX in 13, who knows.

#24 ·
Yes, luxury cars depreciate. There's a big surprise!

No, the SRX is pretty much mid-pack as far as the hit it takes.

Maybe, look at a bucks-up friend of mine who doesn't have to ask how much it costs. He bought a loaded BMW 750IL, paid $130,000, drove it 35,000 miles in a year. When he traded it in, the blue book was $70,000. That's $60,000 depreciation in one year, plus he paid $10,400 in state sales tax, which is also gone forever. Even a rich guy winced a bit when he realized depreciation, sales tax, license, insurance and fuel cost him nearly $100,000 to drive last year. "I could have hired a car service every day for less."

As lifers say, "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime." Same goes for depreciation.

jack vines

#25 ·
On another note, look at the example the CTS has. The first gen took a major depreciation hit. The second gen came out and held value fairly well (thanks to much more effort into a luxury car from Cadillac). I expect the same or similar trend with the SRX.

#26 ·
I don't think so Captain because the 2013 will be a different vehicle and ours will be old school. Between the new chassis and CUE our's will be viewed as an "Older" model. Personally I liked the 2010 model but when I went to buy mine they had changed to the present style which I also like. I think that if a car company has a hit on it's hands it should refine that model and make it even more desirable and dependable instead of a offering different look every two years like they did in the 60's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.