Donut spare when other tires are 20"; and locking gas cap
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By redvett94
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Donut spare when other tires are 20"; and locking gas cap in Cadillac SRX Forums; Like many other SRX owners (mine is a 2012 performance model), I'm concerned about not having a spare tire; especially ...
    VHA
    VHA is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 Cadillac Performance SRX - AWD

Smile Donut spare when other tires are 20"; and locking gas cap

Like many other SRX owners (mine is a 2012 performance model), I'm concerned about not having a spare tire; especially when on trips. Just last week, I saw an Escalade on the side of a major highway with a ripped-up left-rear tire; an air-pump/sealer system would have been useless to him. I've seen photos of the "donut" spare tire kit (wheel, tire, jack, foam insert to store everything tidily) that takes up the area under the rear floor storage door. My concern is whether it's OK to run a donut (which is probably an 18" tire), when the other tires on the vehicle are on 20" rims? Obviously it would be only until we got to a dealer or tire place, but that could be more than a few miles...

I understand the spare tire/donut kit lists for around $360, but some dealers sell it for as low as $300? Does anyone know the part number?

Also, I've had no luck finding a locking gas cap for a 2012 SRX. I'm not so much worried about gas theft, as having some jerk pouring salt (etc.) in the tank. NAPA's local store, which is huge, told me today that no one makes one; haven't checked the dealer yet...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

allgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX FWD Gray Flannel / Ebony Premium 3.0 Chrome Techs

Re: Donut spare when other tires are 20"; and locking gas cap

It would have to be ths same circumference I think 30". All wheel drive have to match in circumference 18 or 20 does not matter.. FWD would have to match on front may be you could go a short distance non matched on the rear. I think the factory spare is a 18".

VHA

Thanks, allgm; forgot to mention that my SRX has AWD. You say it has to have the same circumference, which implies that the drive train could somehow be damaged otherwise. The problem with my getting a 20" spare, is that it wouldn't fit under the floor, so it would only be taken on trips; and that would be a royal pain in the butt...

allgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX FWD Gray Flannel / Ebony Premium 3.0 Chrome Techs

Quote Originally Posted by VHA View Post
    Thanks, allgm; forgot to mention that my SRX has AWD. You say it has to have the same circumference, which implies that the drive train could somehow be damaged otherwise. The problem with my getting a 20" spare, is that it wouldn't fit under the floor, so it would only be taken on trips; and that would be a royal pain in the butt...
    I believe the spare from the dealer is a donut tire. And will fit in the rear storeage area. The 18" & 20" tire on the SRX have the same circumference just different aspect ratios 65 vs 55 . But you will have to buy the kit it has a different cargo liner to fit the spare in it.

VHA

>The 18" & 20" tire on the SRX have the same circumference just different aspect ratios 65 vs 55 .

Thanks for that useful information. My SRX's P235-55R20 tires are 29.5" in diameter (inflated), so it would stand to reason that SRX 18" tires are also 29.5" in diameter.

redvett94 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Locking gas caps are not worth using. Do you have enemies? Your insurance coverage will fix the damage to your car. Thay may not get access your gas tank but they can break the glass or scratch your paint.

----------

Locking gas caps are not worth using. Do you have enemies? Your insurance coverage will fix the damage to your car. They may not get access your gas tank but they can break the glass or scratch your paint.
    dctex99 and dctex99 like this.

VHA

>Locking gas caps are not worth using. Do you have enemies?

This issue is vandals, not enemies. When I was a kid, our neighborhood had a creep that put salt/sugar in people's gas tanks. Low probability for sure, but it can happen anywhere.

>Your insurance coverage will fix the damage to your car.

If someone pours sugar into your gas tank, the vehicle may still run, but it might also clog the fuel filter or injectors, or do other engine damage. Either way would be a huge hassle, even if GM fixed it under warranty or your insurance company reimbursed you.

>Thay may not get access your gas tank but they can break the glass or scratch your paint.

That would at least be obvious to your insurance company.

I also have Gorilla Automotive 61641 Acorn Guard Locks on the wheels. Yes, insurance would reimburse me, but I'd rather not have my wheels & tires stolen...

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

FYI: the SRX spare tire is a P185/70R18 ... there is a 6.22" difference in circumference between that and the stock 20" size (P235/55R20)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

DTurmel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX 2012 AWD Luxury
    I have a spare in mine but I am in Canada so I assume everyone else does have one here - I assume this is a country regulation thing - does anyone know? Just curious...I wouldn't be comfortable without a spare either.

adamjeeps is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    My wife can not change it anyway, so why have it? That is what roadside assistance and AAA is for. We paid for it in the price of the vehicle.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.