Shifting the SRX into neutral with the engine off
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Shifting the SRX into neutral with the engine off in Cadillac SRX Forums; Anyone know how to put the SRX into neutral without starting it up? Tried to do it the other day ...
    Jake2010 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX - Premium - Black Raven / Titanium - Chrome Tech

Shifting the SRX into neutral with the engine off

Anyone know how to put the SRX into neutral without starting it up?

Tried to do it the other day and couldn't (wanted to let it roll to the end of the driveway while washing another vehicle). There has to be a way, because how would you get the car on a flatbed if it's broke down and won't start.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Maximumkk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium AWD - Silver Coast w/ Shale-Brownstone

Re: Shifting the SRX into neutral with the engine off

According to the user manual, you can shift out of park in either Run or Accessory mode. Push the start/run button but without pressing on the brake pedal, you should get electrical systems running but no engine run. Then you can shift out of park to neutral, and roll as desired using manual brake force (no power assist brakes).

The brake/shift interlock is electrically run. If your battery is dead, you need to jumpstart or get a boost of 12V power to allow you to shift to neutral (while in Accessory mode) in order to tow.

I don't have my SRX yet, so I'm going via info in the manual only, I can't test it for you.

Max

Thanks for the reply Max!
    That is exactly what I thought would happen. But before posting I tried exactly that, and I could not move the shifter out of park. I went out and tried again after you post but no go! I realize you don't have an SRX to try this on, but I'm wondering if someone else could.

On a side note, I installed the 4 piece chrome grill overlay today, and it make a big difference!! I will try to post pics soon.

allgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX FWD Gray Flannel / Ebony Premium 3.0 Chrome Techs

Don't think it is possible. I have tried for a year to get to netural without starting. Driveway is on an incline I like to dress wheels then coast backwards to finish without starting. I think the break pedal and tranmission are connected as a safety issue. I also have the 4 pcs chrome grill and two pcs that go beside the foglight.

Quote Originally Posted by allgm View Post
    Don't think it is possible. I have tried for a year to get to netural without starting. Driveway is on an incline I like to dress wheels then coast backwards to finish without starting. I think the break pedal and tranmission are connected as a safety issue. I also have the 4 pcs chrome grill and two pcs that go beside the foglight.
    I know! Seems weird! How would you tow the vehicle? Chrome grill looks nice right!! Especially the lower grill... where did you get the fog light trim?
    Thanks,
    Jake

Maximumkk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium AWD - Silver Coast w/ Shale-Brownstone

You are pressing on the brake before trying to shift, right?

The other only suggestion I could make is maybe try the service mode, as described in the manual? (press start button for five seconds or more, no brake).

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Jake2010 View Post
    I know! Seems weird! How would you tow the vehicle? Chrome grill looks nice right!! Especially the lower grill... where did you get the fog light trim?
    Thanks,
    Jake
    Google SHOWTRIX. They seem to have a lot of SRX add ons.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximumkk View Post

The other only suggestion I could make is maybe try the service mode, as described in the manual? (press start button for five seconds or more, no brake).

Max
    Service mode worked! Thanks Max!

allgm... Thanks I'll check out SHOWTRIX, and now you can dress those wheels properly without starting up the car!

Thanks Max. I have been trying for a year to figure it out. j
    Just went out to garage and it works
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximumkk View Post

Max

Huey Driver is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

See owners manual under 'Dinghy Towing' (pg 10-93 in 2013 manual).
    Pop off the shift lever boot and there is a mechanical release there to allow you to shift to neutral.

336muffin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX

Hello, I'm a new member with a question about the button under the shifter boot. I've heard the button can be depressed in order to flat tow the SRX behind a Motor Home by guy's that were doing so. Sounded simple enough but I cannot seem to get it to do so. I have a 2011 SRX Luxury model. Any and all help is appreciated, thanks

ELCID64 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 srx

I'm not sure what problem you are having here. Can you be more specific as to what you can't get it to do? If you push the button down and hold it down you can then shift the gear to Neutral for the purpose of towing or just moving the vehicle without having to start it. I have done it. Alex

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.