How do you download music from your IPhone to the SRX hard drive?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, How do you download music from your IPhone to the SRX hard drive? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Just purchased a 2012 and need help....
    SRXHippy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

How do you download music from your IPhone to the SRX hard drive?

Just purchased a 2012 and need help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Re: How do you download music from your IPhone to the SRX hard drive?

Your profile doesn't mention which model SRX you have. Do you have the NAV system? You don't actually "download" music from your iPod to the HDD. You play songs through the car's audio system using your iPod as the source. Plug your iPod cable into the USB input in the center console. Then, you should see an iPod icon in place of the USB icon on the pop-up LCD. Once connected, you control your iPod via the LCD. If you don't have the NAV system, the connection is the same, though what you see on the screen may be a little different.

If you want to "download" music to the HDD, you can do this in two ways. First, pop in a CD and press the "Record" button. This simultaneously converts the CD tracks to Mp3 format and downloads them to the HDD. The second option involves plugging a thumbdrive (loaded with Mp3 or WMA files) into the USP port, selecting an Artist, Album or Song and pressing the Record button. This scenario only downloads the tracks to the HDD. Conversion to MP3 isn't required, since the songs should already be in the proper format. Once either process is completed, you can now remove the CD or thumbdrive, as the music can be played from the HDD.

Sube

shortspark is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Can a usb loaded thumb drive play through the system directly, or must the contents of the drive be downloaded to the vehicle's hard drive? Also, is there a place or slot for an SD card or does it take only thumb drives?

xrs01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2

Quote Originally Posted by shortspark View Post
    Can a usb loaded thumb drive play through the system directly, or must the contents of the drive be downloaded to the vehicle's hard drive? Also, is there a place or slot for an SD card or does it take only thumb drives?
    First question: Yes, a USB loaded thumb drive can play through the system directly. The songs do not need to be downloaded to the hard drive. Search this forum for details on number of songs, folders, organization of files on the thumb drive.

Second question: There is no built in SD card reader/slot. You can plug in a small SD card reader to the USB port (many are available for $5-$10), plug in an SD card into the reader, and you can play the songs on the SD card.

I believe there was a discussion on this forum about using USB plug in portable hard drives. I don't remember for sure, but it seems some of them worked.

I guess "xrs01" is a faster typist than me. He responded just as I was finishing my response.

Sube

Thanks xrs01, just what I needed to know. I plan on buying my first SRX when the 2013 model comes out and I'm sure CUE will have much in the way of audio on-board capabilities and peripherals interface beyond what is currently available. Since I have your ear for a moment, I have one last question and this about bluetooth. Is the XRS bluetooth capability confined to simply answering phones or does it have the ability to pair with any device, such as bluetooth enabled headphones, eg, thereby allowing the audio system to be played wirelessly and privately to anyone in the vehicle? In other words, if I happen to be the driver and do not want to listen to music, can a passenger pair their bluetooth headphones to the XRS and listen to the audio system?

xrs01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2

Quote Originally Posted by shortspark View Post
    Thanks xrs01, just what I needed to know. I plan on buying my first SRX when the 2013 model comes out and I'm sure CUE will have much in the way of audio on-board capabilities and peripherals interface beyond what is currently available. Since I have your ear for a moment, I have one last question and this about bluetooth. Is the XRS bluetooth capability confined to simply answering phones or does it have the ability to pair with any device, such as bluetooth enabled headphones, eg, thereby allowing the audio system to be played wirelessly and privately to anyone in the vehicle? In other words, if I happen to be the driver and do not want to listen to music, can a passenger pair their bluetooth headphones to the XRS and listen to the audio system?
    The bluetooth interface on early models ('10) is/was confined to phones capabilities. There was a thread somewhere on here that some people discussed using smartphones to stream music to the SRX, but I seem to recall it was not possible (I'm sure they'll correct me if I'm mistaken).

I have never tried to pair my bluetooth headphones to the SRX. I suspect on that early model ('10), it's not capable.

CUE's capabilities, on the other hand, are unknown at this point.

If you get the top of the line system (Performance/Premium), I believe that with the back seat audio system, occupants can listen to their own audio through headphones. Sube or others may be able to verify. I only have the NAV system, and not the back seat system.

There is a Rear Seat Entertainment System with Dual DVD screens, Infrared Wireless Headphones and Remote Control that is optional with the Luxury, Performance and Premium trims. This includes a separate tuner for the rear seat passengers. They can simultaneously listen to a different source than the driver/front seat passenger via the included wireless infrared headphones. If you have the Luxury trim, to get this you'll also need to order the optional 10-speaker Bose system. The 10-speaker Bose system is standard with the Performance and Premium trims.

From what I've read in earlier posts (very early, near the beginning of this forum), the standard audio system has Bluetooth streaming for audio. Something about a different BT protocol. This really pissed me off that they included this on the basic sound system, but not the premium Bose system. If this is incorrect, someone please correct me.

As for the 2013 SRX, like xrs01 said, who knows what they'll have. I would expect to see an SD card slot as well as USB, or possibly two USB ports. I wouldn't be too quick to jump on a 2013. Wait a few months and read some actual customer reviews. The inherent complexity of these types of systems makes being an early adopter a dubious endeavor at best. Just Google "Ford Sync Lawsuits" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Sube

Thanks for the additional information folks. I want the performance package but probably would not opt for the rear entertainment system since I rarely carry anyone in the back seat. I would like to stream music to my front seat passenger who might be wearing her bluetooth enabled headphones and wants to listen to her music privately on some of our longer trips. By the same token, we can just take our tablet or portable players which are loaded with tons of mp3 files and mp4 videos and she can listen to it through the internal headphone jack. That way she bypasses the vehicle system and bluetooth entirely. The only good thing about the ability to use the SRX bluetooth to stream audio would be to hear the car's radio that way. As far as streaming our own mp3 music, we have tablets and small mp3 players that can do that job when only one person wants to listen to music. I agree about waiting for reviews of any new model vehicle and I'm sure I won't be the first buyer. But if all goes well, by this time next year I'll surely have an SRX.

Forgot to mention there's also a 3.5mm AUX input. You could connect your tablet, smartphone, etc. to that and access all of your music files. It's not wireless, but works just the same. Only difference being you'd have to control it from the device, not the pop-up screen.

Sube

Sube, thx for the info. I have the premium model with the nav system. I just purchased this weekend, love it. If I copy the music to a thumb drive can I copy a playlist or do i have to copy song by song? Are you actually copy/downloading the music or recording it, thus having to listen to the song? And lastly can you copy movies to the hard drive or is only music supported?

Quote Originally Posted by SRXHippy View Post
    Sube, thx for the info. I have the premium model with the nav system. I just purchased this weekend, love it. If I copy the music to a thumb drive can I copy a playlist or do i have to copy song by song? Are you actually copy/downloading the music or recording it, thus having to listen to the song? And lastly can you copy movies to the hard drive or is only music supported?
    You can't copy playlists from a thumbdrive to the HDD. However, you can create playlists on the thumbdrive by creating folders you name. You'll then be able to select music by folder (playlist), Artist, Genre, Album or Song. The system reads ID3 tags, so make sure all of your music is "precisely" tagged. When recording music from a thumbdrive to the HDD, you'll have the option to record a single track, Artist or Album. To tell you the truth, I rarely even use the HDD anymore. To me it's just easier to do everything on a thumbdrive. I'm constantly adding new music and it's easier and quicker to copy it to the thumbdrive, then it is record to the HDD.

The term Cadillac uses is "Record", which is a bit of a misnomer. Actually, you're downloading. I think they use the term Record because it's more familiar to some older folks who may not be computer literate.

No, you can't copy movies to the HDD. It only reads Mp3 and WMA files. However, you can play DivX movies burned to a DVD. This is what I do. About six full length movies fit on a single DVD. If you have the rear seat entertainment system, you can also input your own video source (PS3, Xbox, PSP, etc.) using the RCA video connectors under the fold-up LCD screens.

Sube

Supe, you're awesome. Thank you.

Glad I could help.

Yes indeed, excellent information, Sube. So then, it appears the entertainment system in the SRX is capable of playing DivX encoded burned dvds. I wonder what other video formats it is capable of playing? I no longer use dvds (except blu-ray in my home theater). Instead, I have all my regular movies on thumb drives or SD cards. As was stated previously, with a reader the SD card will work in the SRX and of course so will the thumb drive for MP3 audio, but will the SRX system also support the video formats that these flash devices can use? For example, I record movies to my DishTV dvr and those I want to archive I send to my external hard drives for storage. These external portable drives can not be used in the SRX because they can not reproduce the movies elsewhere, they can only play back through the DishTV receivers. However, those programs I want to take on the road with me to play in computers and tablets (and also tvs) I download as MP4 video to thumb drives or SD cards via a device called Nerous OSD, which records the programs natively in MP4 video. I then simply take out a card or thumb drive, put it in my Toshiba Thrive tablet or my laptop and play away. If I want to play them on a tv while on the road, I simply run an hdmi cable from my tablet to the tv or play the flash devices through a mini-media player I carry around with me that hooks up to tvs that may not have hdmi, such as you often find in hotels.
    I guess what all this is leading up to is that I am wondering if I can take flash storage devices containing video and play it on the SRX entertainment system the same way I can with mp3 audio only?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.