Do all Cadillac GPS have a speech impediment?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By TheCaptain
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Do all Cadillac GPS have a speech impediment? in Cadillac SRX Forums; My GPS has a hard time sounding out even uncomplicated street names making it difficult to understand what it/she is ...
    Jcode68 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Do all Cadillac GPS have a speech impediment?

My GPS has a hard time sounding out even uncomplicated street names making it difficult to understand what it/she is saying. I always have to look at the screen for the street name because I cannot understand her. Contrast to either my wife's Toyta Sienna or my portable Garmin, both of these are perfectly clear even with complex street names. Anyone else have this problem or is it just me? I have a 2012 SRX AWD...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Re: Do all Cadillac GPS have a speech impediment?

No problems hearing all the names here... perhaps you might want to try and select a voice with a different accent?

On a more serious note this is the very first time I have heard anyone saying that they have trouble with understanding the voice in the GM Nav system. You don't show what part of the country you are from (I am not trying to be funny or wise here) but perhaps the NAV voice might be a little bit harder to understand in certain states??

I have noticed at times two different styles of speech or voices. The main NAV voice does seem to be a little more clearer or natural sounding than the one that reads out the street names. Usually I can understand the voice around 99% of the time so I really don't understand why you are having troubles understanding the names.

Marc, I am in MA. I wish it had a Boston accent, maybe I could understand it :-)
    I agree, the general navigation voice I can make out just fine, it's just when it tries to say the street names, sounds like she has a mouth full of marbles. Like I said, my experience with 2 other navigation systems are a stark contrast to the GM nav. That said, I am happy with the other features and capability of the navigation system. Interested in hearing from others, am I alone on this?

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Fortunately I don't use the Nav very often. However the few times I have around town, it's quite hilarious sometimes how the street names get butchered. If I weren't familiar with most of the names and the text wasn't available on the screen, I'd surely get lost. I agree that the main Nav voice is better than the street names speaker. I live in Austin, TX.

We have a lot of street names of Hispanic origin. You can imagine how well she speaks those. LOL!!

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I have a Garmin ($120) in my truck and can select from a list of about ten different voices (Male or Female), to best find the one that I can understand and like the best. Maybe someday GM will try out some of the other brands on the market and incorporate some of their good ideas. Part of the problem with the voice on our street announcer is the method it uses to create the voice. As anyone who has ever used a voice activation program on a computer can tell you there are some pretty funny moments.

Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

We rarely use our Nav systemn, but I have noticed that sometimes it garbles a name. I also have a Garmin,and on occasions it also flubs a name. Doesn't make much diffference to me, as each system is telling me when to turn,how many feet, and I really don't pay much attention to the name anyway. It is actually kind of humorous sometimes to hear how each system pronounces them.

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

I agree! BTW: There are times when the street names are almost impossible for a human to pronounce correctly the first time let alone the NAV to say. Now, I will give you a buck if you can say "Scajaquada Expressway" correctly on the first try?

Now try to put yourself into the NAV's voice recognition system... yes there will always be some difficult names the computer will just never ever correctly speak out properly. That is why I listen very carefully to the distance remaining and watch the NAV screen closely when I need to exit or make a turn. I just love going into a circle and then try to figure out which street exit I am suppose to take. The "beep" at the approach of the exit really helps me out tremendously for sure!

I find the nav display in the speedometer to be more helpful as I approach the actual turning point because it has the little scale that gets less and less as I approach my turn. It also clears up the data by eliminating all of the exit data and the foot to go index. To me it, the feet to go index, always seems to be off by about 100 feet. My Garmin does the same thing especially when approaching a big multi-lane intersection. The bottom line on all of these things is that it really helps if you know where you are going before you turn it on. Beware in big cities when you come out of a movie or a late night event and are not sure which way to go. It can really take you into some bad areas that you would never go into normally.

So sounds like everyone has a bit of trouble understanding the street names regardless of region or model year. At least I know it's not just me.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic

mmm. I'm glad we have normal names in Canada.

"Turn right onto Saskatoon Drive."
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Eh? Eh?

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic

Yea! I can complain about that! How come no nav systems say 'eh'!?

"Route confirmed, eh." "Turn right in half a kilometer, eh!"
    allgm and allgm like this.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

MarcV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '95 XLR, '94 DTS

Let's see, we've had STS, Escalade, SLS, XLR, and now SRX. SRX is the first one that has been so muffled as to be a joke. By contrast, the context voice is crisp and clear. My guess is that the Detroit people who approve these things already know their routes to work and imagine the street names are correct. They sure couldn't tell by listening.

Just this morning we were laughing at the unusable pronunciations from NAV in our brand new SRX. The joke is on us, that we paid for luxury but got gobbledygook.

frankrizzo135 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance

I agree with you about the marbles or slur sometimes. I live in upstate New York and have to say that certain street names that are said ,you won't know what they were by just listening to"HER" voice.

GitRDone is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Is it possible she consumed a couple adult beverages and as a result struggles with some street names.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.