2011 SRX Liftgate Problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 2011 SRX Liftgate Problem in Cadillac SRX Forums; Had our 2011 SRX about a month and the power liftgate is opening at random times without pushing the key ...
    ILCIVENG is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS and 2011 Cadillac SRX

2011 SRX Liftgate Problem

Had our 2011 SRX about a month and the power liftgate is opening at random times without pushing the key fob. It's my wife's car and she came out in the garage one morning to find the liftgate lodged against the garage door and of course we now have a scratched liftgate and two times at work it was found open when she went to the car. Not a good thing if you have something in the car or if it is raining or snowing. Luckily other employees let her know it was wide open. I have a suspicion that the fob key button is being pushed by something in her purse when she sets it down. We blamed our cat who likes to sit in her purse!

Anyone know of this being an issue with the SRX? Can the button on the key fob activate the door from a distance over 200 feet which is how far away she parks at work? Just wanted to post to see if similar problems before taking it in to the dealer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

classiccars is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury AWD

Re: 2011 SRX Liftgate Problem

Had the same problem. 2012 model. I think the liftgate button was being depress in my wife's purse by other keys on the fob ring. I picked up a "Key Fob Cover" on ebay. I haven't had any problems since. This fob cover, covers the liftgate button. You have the press the rubber fob cover to open the liftgate. Also the cover keeps the fob section attached to the key section and the key inside the fob. (My wife said she once found the fob detached from the key ring.) Search ebay: "Key Fob Cover SRX"
    fob.jpg

scurling is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '94 Fleetwood Brogham, '94 Fleetwood, 2010 SRX 4WD, F250

Never had this lift-gate problem, but I and my wife have used this brand key fob cover since a week after buying the SRX 2010 and love it. It is a simple, but very good product. It is made of a stretchy silicone type rubber.

allgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX FWD Gray Flannel / Ebony Premium 3.0 Chrome Techs

I have the same cover I like it. I was waxing the SRX today. I had my two step stool close to the back bumper waxing the rear roof panel key fob in pocket. I am standing on the 2nd step streched out toward the back glass panel when I hear the motor turn on to open rear hatch. Anyway would of made a good video me backing off the stool & hatch opening. I think the fob hatch button is sensitive I try to keep it in my coat or shirt pocket. It would be a good idea to make hatch open on two clicks instead of one.

MnMs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX

I thought that if you turned the alarm ON that you had to de-activate the alarm before the gate would open.

99ssconv is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): fix them every day

#PI0636: Intermittent Unwanted Liftgate Opening While Vehicle is Parked and Unlocked - (Dec 22, 2011)
    Subject: Intermittent Unwanted Liftgate Opening While Vehicle is Parked

Models: 2010-2011 Cadillac SRX

Equipped with Power Liftgate (RPO TB5)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment on unwanted opening of the liftgate without pressing any of the release buttons while the vehicle is parked.

This condition may be caused by the power liftgate button on the remote transmitter being pressed inadvertently while the transmitter is in their pocket or purse.

Note: When the vehicle is locked, the power liftgate system disregards the open request from the exterior touch pad located above the license plate.

Recommendation/Instructions

Important: When installing the new BCM calibration, the technician will have the ability to turn off or leave the express open window feature. Please be sure to download the proper calibration for the customer’s needs.

An updated software calibration has been released that increases the amount of time the power liftgate remote transmitter button must be depressed before the liftgate operates. The press time has increased from 0.3 seconds to 1 second.

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

I noticed this on my 2012. I have to hold the button for (what seems like) a long time before the liftgate opens. Makes it seem to me that inadvertent openings would be more, errrr, inadvertent...

poolandgolf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX, 2012

I noticed too that it seems like the fob button had to be held for a long time on my 12 SRX. Thinking about it, that is a good feature. Bought a couple FOB covers shown above, anyway. Personalizes the keys!

Jim

etexlady is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 Luxury SRX Crystal Red Tintcoat

Happened to me today at work. I left the building and went home for lunch. Upon return I parked the car (2011 SRX Luxury), locked it and went back into the building. My boss calls me about two hours later as he entered the parking lot and asked if I knew the hatch was up on my car. No. He was nice enough to walk over and close it for me. It was parked in a gated parking lot just for our building but it could have been at the mall, grocery store, etc. It's happened a couple of times before but it was always at home. I have a detached garage and when I would open the garage door the hatch was open. I'm assuming it was an "inadvertent" press of the liftgate button. I'll have to invest in one of the remote covers.

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

This is an old problem that's been covered in an earlier thread. In addition to using the remote cover, be sure to turn the button on the inside of the driver's door to the "off" position at times you're unlikely to need it to remotely open (e.g. in the garage). Other remotes require a quick "double press" of the button to open the rear hatch. This makes inadvertent opening almost impossible. Even with them increasing the time to 1 second, something could accidentally press the button, especially in a cluttered pocketbook. You'd think GM would have learned this by now and changed the design.

Sube

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

Ya think?

qualitylad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX 2011

I have had the same issue with my SRX 2011 model. It has opened at least four tiimes the last time I was opening the garage door and the garage door hit the tail gate. The dealer said there was not an issue with the tail gate. I had just walked around the car to help my friend get in the car. I passed the tailgate twice. It was closed.

Jackbanker is offline Cadillac Owners Member

We have a 2011 SRX and had the same problem. The dealer replaced the trunk liftgate switch on September 13, 2013. It has been installed for 5 days now and hasn't opened by itself.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbanker View Post
    We have a 2011 SRX and had the same problem. The dealer replaced the trunk liftgate switch on September 13, 2013. It has been installed for 5 days now and hasn't opened by itself.
    Hello Jackbanker,

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you as part of the Cadillac community. I see you worked with the dealer towards your liftgate issue and they were able to replace the part for you. I am happy it seems to be working properly now and has not opened on its own recently. Continue to monitor and if you ever notice any new concerns or have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us. We are here to help and can be contacted via private message or email at socialmedia@gm.com.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by qualitylad View Post
    I have had the same issue with my SRX 2011 model. It has opened at least four tiimes the last time I was opening the garage door and the garage door hit the tail gate. The dealer said there was not an issue with the tail gate. I had just walked around the car to help my friend get in the car. I passed the tailgate twice. It was closed.
    Hello qualitylad,

I am sorry you have also been experiencing an issue with your liftgate. If you would like to further discuss this concern with us, please reach out via private message. We are here to help!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

carbeck is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX AWD Premium, previously 2011 AWD Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello qualitylad,

I am sorry you have also been experiencing an issue with your liftgate. If you would like to further discuss this concern with us, please reach out via private message. We are here to help!
    Laura - that post was from November 2012. I'm guessing they've probably addressed it in one of the other threads by now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.