18" vs 20" tires curious your thoughts on ride
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 18" vs 20" tires curious your thoughts on ride in Cadillac SRX Forums; Can anyone comment on differences in ride based on 18" vs 20" Basically I'm looking at the FWD luxury with ...
    tmw
    tmw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

18" vs 20" tires curious your thoughts on ride

Can anyone comment on differences in ride based on 18" vs 20" Basically I'm looking at the FWD luxury with Nav preferred over the performance package. Any thoughts on mpg differences? One being a smoother ride over another ?

My personal assumption is the 18" will be a better ride and a little easier on the pocket book in the long run....but the 20"s look nicer...which to be honest don't really care all that much on the look of one over the other, but that is just me.

Thoughts ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

larryk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 10 SRX Previously 01 BMW X5

Re: 18" vs 20" tires curious your thoughts on ride

I have the 20's, and every time I get a loaner SRX that has the 18's I notice that the 18's have a much smoother ride, so much so, that I would probably never get 20's on another vehicle...

Likely is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium Collection FWD

I have the 20's on my premium model. I have driven the 18's also, I don't notice that much difference. I do know that the 20's handle the vehicle so much better and they look so much nicer

Do the 20's, you won't be disappointed. Good luck with your new ride!!!!!

Likely

tmw
    tmw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Thanks for sharing. Seems like my gut feeling was on. Smooth ride vs handling and looks...well at least 2 responses in anyway

classiccars is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury AWD

Go with the 18's. Much better ride. A Lot cheaper down the road. There are a ton of past post here from members wanting to switch out their 20 inch wheels. (especially the chrome clad)
    "Smooth Ride vs. Handling" That's a correct statement. Its a Cadillac, a smooth ride is a must. I'm not sure if you will see the handling difference between the two sizes on the SRX. You really have to be pushing the vehicle into and out of the turns to get that difference. (Camaros, Mustangs: Yes - SRX, Not too sure about.??)

TheCaptain is online now Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic

There is a considerable ride/handling difference between the two rim/tire sizes. I run my 20's in the summer and love them, and they are very sporty. I run 18's with winter tires in the winter, and the ride is improved but the performance is diminished by enough to notice! You just can't stick it in the corners as well with the extra bodyroll the 18's deliver!

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

I am not an expert on how the 18" wheels ride feels like on the SRXs vs 20" ride, but just for point of comparison, I have now owned two newer style SRXs. The first one was a 2010 Performance with 20" rims and the ride was a wee bit harsher than I had originally expected it to be (I still liked the ride). My 2012 SRX Performance with same 20" wheels I find that the ride quality is definitely a bit smoother and slightly more refined ride than my previous 2010 SRX was.

However, it is really all about your own personal preferences... you need to decide what you like the best. For me I just love the look of the 20" rims on the SRXs Performance and Premium models. IMHO: Those 20" rims and the lower profile tires are what makes the SRX's sleek style really stand out!

Just my .02

Cooper10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

2012 MSRP without freight on FWD Luxury Collection with Nav $42205
    2012 MSRP without freight on FWD Performance Model $43405
    Freight is $875

Performance has HID headlights, 20 inch wheels and Nav standard

Price difference is $1425

I checked on Edmunds.com for pricing

----------

Above typo Luxury is $42405
    Performance is $43830

SeaYaLater is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance

I ran my 2010 SRX performance with 20 inch wheels for 30,000 miles and traded it for a 2012 performance.
    The 2012 rides much better and I notice a significant improvement in handling. I have 9,000 miles on the 2012
    really enjoy the new engine and noise reduction improvements.

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

The suspension settings were changed for 2012. Also doesn't the performance model get different shocks? That may acct for the ride difference on 20s. I felt like the 2012 luxury I test drove rode better with the 20s than the 2010 i drove with 18s.

allgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX FWD Gray Flannel / Ebony Premium 3.0 Chrome Techs

The AWD only Performance & Premium get the Variable Real Time Damping Shocks FE3. The FWD Performance & Premium get regular shocks FE2

JohninBC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Performance AWD Crystal Red/Ebony

A question for TheCaptain. What size tires do you run on your 18" winter rims. Any problems with the odometer?

bsze is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX4

Quote Originally Posted by JohninBC View Post
    A question for TheCaptain. What size tires do you run on your 18" winter rims. Any problems with the odometer?
    Why would he not run the stock size of 235/65/18 on his 18" winters? Go check out his pictures and u will see he runs the Blizzak DM-V1 in stock size.

TheCaptain is online now Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic

Yes, bsze is right, I do run the stock 18" size of 235/65/18 for my winter tires. And it is about .5% difference, but that is about it.

bsze is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX4

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    Yes, bsze is right, I do run the stock 18" size of 235/65/18 for my winter tires. And it is about .5% difference, but that is about it.
    just wondering how your chrometech wheels holding up? I just got a brand new set for 1000bucks from a dealer on ebay and found a set of stock Micheline tires for 600bucks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.