Driver's seat discomfort - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Driver's seat discomfort in Cadillac SRX Forums; I do not like the seats in my 2012 SRX. I do not find them comfortable. For me the problem ...
    SRX312 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX

Re: Driver's seat discomfort

I do not like the seats in my 2012 SRX. I do not find them comfortable. For me the problem is the back area of the seat. I would be more comfortable if the back area would raise about an inch. I have been unable to find the right combination of adjustments to make the seat comfortable for my 6' and 240 lb frame. I also use one of those thin gel seat cushions that is quite firm which I like and maybe 3/4 to one inch thick. It is small and fits on the back one half of the seat bottom. Kinda looks like some fancy bicycle seats I have seen or what someone in a wheel chair might buy. Mine is manufactured by Gelco Products and is called the G-seat. I like it alot and it has made the comfort of my SRX seats much more tolerable. I strongly recommend the G-seat. You can probably investigate it online. I do wish my 2012 SRX had more comfortable seats which I would expect in a car of this nature, luxury, and expense.

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

So, just to be clear....

You sit on a pad that is 1 inch thick. And the seat doesnt fit your right because all the pressure points are about an inch too low.

I can certainly understand how it doesnt fit you.... But you are certainly an 'average' height that GM was probably targetting with their seat design. How can you say you would expect better of "a car of this nature, luxury, and expense", when you modify the seat? And you say that you have modified the seat (by adding 1" of padding) exactly by the amount you say the seat doesnt fit you ("I would be more comfortable if the back area would raise about an inch").

Not trying to be argumentative, but come on.... The seat doesnt meet what some expect, but how can you say its Cadillac's fault when you modify it???

I think you misunderstood what I wrote or maybe I didnt communicate clearly. I meant to say that the seat in the vehicle is very uncomfortable for me. I sit on the Gelco Products pad and it makes the seat tolerable and more comfortable. Without the pad, I wouldnt be able to tolerate the vehicle seat. I do not find the vehicle seats to be comfortable without the pad and I would expect a more comfortable seat in a vehicle of this nature, luxury, and expense. For example, I find the seats in my old BMW to be much more comfortable as do I find the seats in my old Lincoln MKX. Otherwise, I am extremely pleased with my 2012 SRX in every other respect except that I cant turn the radio off which is a serious design flaw in a vehicle of this nature, luxury, and expense.
    spike330 and spike330 like this.

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Quote Originally Posted by SRX312 View Post
    I think you misunderstood what I wrote or maybe I didnt communicate clearly. I meant to say that the seat in the vehicle is very uncomfortable for me. I sit on the Gelco Products pad and it makes the seat tolerable and more comfortable. Without the pad, I wouldnt be able to tolerate the vehicle seat. I do not find the vehicle seats to be comfortable without the pad and I would expect a more comfortable seat in a vehicle of this nature, luxury, and expense. For example, I find the seats in my old BMW to be much more comfortable as do I find the seats in my old Lincoln MKX. Otherwise, I am extremely pleased with my 2012 SRX in every other respect except that I cant turn the radio off which is a serious design flaw in a vehicle of this nature, luxury, and expense.
    Push in on the radio volume knob and it's off.

Steve, if I push the radio volume knob then that also turns off the navigation system and the screen goes blank. I should have been more clear. I wish I could turn the darn radio off...and that didnt also turn off the navigation system. In other words, I would like to be able to get in the car and the navigation system is on but I dont get audio from the last radio station I listened to which is unexpected and undesired...and forces me to hit the mute button. In a car of this nature, luxury, and expense...we should be able to turn off the radio and it stays off until we want to turn it on...and use of the radio is not directly tied to use of the navigation system.

Quote Originally Posted by SRX312 View Post
    Steve, if I push the radio volume knob then that also turns off the navigation system and the screen goes blank. I should have been more clear. I wish I could turn the darn radio off...and that didnt also turn off the navigation system. In other words, I would like to be able to get in the car and the navigation system is on but I dont get audio from the last radio station I listened to which is unexpected and undesired...and forces me to hit the mute button. In a car of this nature, luxury, and expense...we should be able to turn off the radio and it stays off until we want to turn it on...and use of the radio is not directly tied to use of the navigation system.
    Here's a workaround: Tune your radio to XM station 0. I believe that is the XM station that displays only and has no sound. Now the radio is mute but the nav still works.

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

I still don't understand how one cannot discover a seat's deficiencies (for them) until after they buy.

I have, and have had, a back problem. The first thing that gets thoroughly checked out when reviewing my short list of next vehicles are the seats, through a lot of seat adjustments and test drives, and not the 10-15 minute sprints around the dealership neighborhood. Where I drive and the way I drive. No way I would drop that kind of money and not be positively sure about something I have to live with every mile of ownership, the seat comfort.

What am I missing here?

PJ
    Ponyman and Ponyman like this.

inspectorudy is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

This poor person is finding out what lurks on this forum. He was saying that he finds the seats to be uncomfortable for HIM, not for you or GM but him. Why jump down his throat for expressing an opinion. Some of you are so defensive about your choice of cars that it almost borders on self doubt. I agree with the guy who says that he thoroughly tries out any car for many hours to make sure he is buying the right one. Most of us are not that thorough and buy on shallower inspections only to find the deficiencies that make this forum. That doesn't mean that they are not real to us. Just because you find everything about your SRX "Perfect" why not let others express their opinions without challenging them? I think the gel pad is a good idea and already have one that makes a long trip much more comfortable for ME.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1520 View Post
    I still don't understand how one cannot discover a seat's deficiencies (for them) until after they buy.

I have, and have had, a back problem. The first thing that gets thoroughly checked out when reviewing my short list of next vehicles are the seats, through a lot of seat adjustments and test drives, and not the 10-15 minute sprints around the dealership neighborhood. Where I drive and the way I drive. No way I would drop that kind of money and not be positively sure about something I have to live with every mile of ownership, the seat comfort.

What am I missing here?

PJ
    PJ, I don't have any seat issues but I only drive 15 minutes to work and 15 minutes home. I have only 12K miles on my 2010 SRX which shows that I don't drive much. Perhaps the problem lies in long distance trips? I have yet to do one of those so I can't speak to that. The problem with test drives is that most dealers won't let you keep the car for long weekends to take it on a long drive. You're lucky to get to keep it for a day where I live.

Ok, valid point. But please explain why it is a design flaw if only one (or a small number of people) experiences it.
    So may here here are so quick to point out how 'GM got it wrong', when it is personal preference.
    I get that people discover issues over time, and I think its good to provide thorough feedback to GM. I'm just not going to jump to blaming them for problems.
    I actually am a little 'upset' with the visibility in my car. It seems that the front 'A pillars' are right in my line of sight at every intersection. But that is a function of where I put the seat that is comfortable to me, not a 'design flaw'...
    To pretty much turn what you say upside down; you can express dissatisfaction with your experience, without saying its a problem that needs to be changed. The poster said he expected different results from a car of "this nature, luxury and expense" (several times). Does that mean that everyone that is satisfied with the (in this case) seats is suddenly wrong and 'settling' because they want things left as they are?
    Remember, every change you demand probably removes something that many people like...

When you buy a Porsche, you can hand pick almost every single thing about the car. But look what you have to pay to get that kind of choice. Sometimes price forces a compromise.

I meant to add, I DO NOT begrudge anyone the right to express their opinion on this forum. The simple fact is that the 'internet' tends to be overwhelmingly negative. People who feel they are wronged are MUCH more willing to express their opinion over those that are just happy and quiet. If anyone here has an issue, then I fully support their right to express it here. And I hope that GM is listening and at least CONSIDERING the suggestions that are made.
    Several here think those who don't have problems, and are expressing their opinions to the contrary of complaints, are 'thin skinned'. I suspect in most cases this is just not true, rather an opposing viewpoint.
    I would encourage all to remember that just because it isn't done exactly the way you want it (or if GM decides not to implement your suggestion) that there may be other reasons... To rage against the machine can sometimes make them seem thin skinned.

I'm all for the open exchange of ideas and opinions, but we should remember they are not FACT. Probably everyone knows the similarity between opinions and a certain part of the human anatomy... :-)

I think he was asking if anyone else had experienced the seat problem and was looking for advice/help with a solution. One person's gripe does not warrant an attack on their motives and I do not believe that the word "Rage" belongs in this conversation since no one appears to be angry. I agree with Huey that the A pillars are way to wide for good visibility. I noticed it on the first test drive but figured it would get better with time. It didn't. My 25 year old daughter who loves our new SRX would not take it into Atlanta, one of the nations hell holes of driving experiences, because of the poor mirrors and A pillars. For some reason the pillars seem to fall in exactly the wrong spot when approaching a curve or left hand turn. I have gotten used to moving my head back and forth like a turtle when traversing a winding road. And I too tried to change the seat position and it didn't help. The A pillars in the SRX are actually wider than the pillars in my much bigger Tahoe were. I am sure there is an engineering reason but that doesn't make it better.

Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

The only person in this thread that seems to be mad is you. You complain about those posting their positive experiences with the car in relation to those posting their negative ones. Don't you think this is the pot calling the kettle black? This and all car forums tend to lean heavily toward the negative, so posting the positives is more important than ever to give people an accurate view. Do you have the right to post your gripes, complaints, and wants? Yews, but don't be suprised when others disagree with you. We are like Steve, and drive ours mostly short distances, thus we also have low miles, but we have taken several long trips, and the seat is comfortable to ME and I am a big guy. I can certainly tell everyone that to ME the seat is much more comfortable than the one is our 08 CTS. Everything discussed on this board is subjective to the individual. So to ME the SRX has been a very good trouble free car. Is it perfect, no, but it is much better than the majority would lead others to believe. So, this is MY personal opinion, take it with a grain of salt, or don't read it at all, I don't care. Others may find it helpful. Would I buy the SRX again? Yes. Will I buy the SRX again? I don't know, we are approaching retirement, and may opt for a cheaper car, such as the Equinox LTZ, to saved a few bucks, and still get many of the SRX features. If we don't buy the SRX again, it won't be because of problems and flaws though.

I noticed today while cleaning out my Avalanche that the rake on the windshield A pillars is much less than on the SRX. That seems to be part of the problem because if you slant something but look at it from the same angle the object becomes thicker due to the slant. Then Germans found this out in WWII with their tank armor and they slanted it about 30 degrees which effectively made it thicker. So if you measure the A pillar it will not appear to be any wider than on other cars but due to its steeper slant it effectively becomes thicker and the area where your eyes are see it as mu7ch wider than normal. This is really noticeable when the SRX is parked next to a normally raked windshield.

Ponyman, the people that replied to the seat question were not posting positive things about thier cars. They were questioning the poster on how he could possibly have such an problem since no one else had one like it. That is not the same as saying you like your car and your seat. If I tell you that my seat is not comfortable to me then it is not comfortable to me. How you like your seat has nothing to do with me or my seat. If you want to ask if he has tried this or that to make it more comfortable then fine but to say no one else is complaining about there seat so why are you doing so is attacking the messenger. I can see that some people here might be intimidated to ask a question for fear that they will be subjected to ridicule. I have experienced that on this forum myself but I am not easily intimidated. All questions are valid and have value to the questioner.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.