Tire pressure
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Tire pressure in Cadillac SRX Forums; I have just one thought. I looked in the manual for the car. It says read on the tires what ...
    toggan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX AWD Sport Luxury, 3.0 V6

Tire pressure

I have just one thought. I looked in the manual for the car. It says read on the tires what max pressure you should have.
    Ok I can do that. But do anyone of you know the answer?

Summer tires 235/55 20
    Winter tires 235/5 18

Regards
    Torgny

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Re: Tire pressure

Uhhh... I give up. What *is* the answer?

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

I'm going to take a chance here and say NO, NOT the max for the tire! Use the placard that is posted on the drivers door!
    Somewhere, I got 35psi for my Lux model. Thats what I run. The max for the tire is only that, whatever max pressure it can take. It doesnt take in to account recommended ride quality, weight or wheel construction.
    I'm sure most here would say, never exceed the tire markings, but sometimes the vehicle (or wheel) manufacturer may want LOWER pressures, for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Huey Driver View Post
    I'm going to take a chance here and say NO, NOT the max for the tire! Use the placard that is posted on the drivers door!
    Somewhere, I got 35psi for my Lux model. Thats what I run. The max for the tire is only that, whatever max pressure it can take. It doesnt take in to account recommended ride quality, weight or wheel construction.
    I'm sure most here would say, never exceed the tire markings, but sometimes the vehicle (or wheel) manufacturer may want LOWER pressures, for whatever reason.
    Of course if you have OnStar, you're going to get a report telling you your tires have invalid pressures if you fall outside the given range for "normal". I would imagine that in order to be consistent, they are using what's on the vehicle sticker for "normal".

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Not really. Its not 'normal', its the CORRECT inflation. The only trustworthy place to ALWAYS get the correct inflation is from that placard. It lists the correct inflation for your vehicle based on loading, etc. Mine says, for P235/65R18 and the rated vehicle weight, the correct inflation is 35 psi. I'd almost be willing to bet the 20-inch wheels have different settings.
    I never like to talk in absolutes, and we all probably remember the ford explorer fiasco. They lowered pressure (some said) to improve ride quality, but the lower pressure caused too much flex resulting in high temps and blowouts.
    Some may adjust based on their preferences, and I wouldnt fault them for that, but you can never go wrong following the final assembly manufacturers guidance.
    I drove a GSA livery Chevy HHR about a year ago that had a recommended inflation of something like 48psi... Crappy maintenance (from GSA) handed it to me with a couple tires as high as 80psi. I dont know how long it had been driven at that, but they held together. As some here will attest, its actually usually LOW pressure that usually causes blowout (due to sidewall flex and temp buildup) rather than high pressure (which is usually better at resisting heat buildup or dissipating heat).

nickleman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 premium edition 20011 SRX Premium Edition

I have 20" wheels , placard says 35 front and rear.

toggan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX AWD Sport Luxury, 3.0 V6

Thanks for the answers. I guess that 35 psi is as close it can be.

MnMs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX

Unless you are pulling a trailer or carry heavy loads then you may want to add a couple of pounds. Might be in your OM

GMJim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    Uhhh... I give up. What *is* the answer?
    Mean.

allgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX FWD Gray Flannel / Ebony Premium 3.0 Chrome Techs

2010 FWD 20's I run 34 lbs. 24,000 miles rotated twice, all four tires show 6/32 in center and 7/32 outside tread.
    Due for a rotation soon. Center shows less tread than outside is this normal ?

scurling is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '94 Fleetwood Brogham, '94 Fleetwood, 2010 SRX 4WD, F250

Generally you want even tread wear across the tire. More wear in the center indicates a little over-pressure, but you are measuring only a 1/32 in. difference in tread depth, so I'd say you are right on the mark with tire presure. The center and edge tread wear will vary between the front and back tires due to the difference in static and dynamic loads. Stay with that rotation schedule and you can't go wrong!

djspl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance AWD

Quote Originally Posted by MnMs View Post
    Unless you are pulling a trailer or carry heavy loads then you may want to add a couple of pounds. Might be in your OM

The tire shop set mine at 39 and I could instantly tell the ride was off. It's a big diffference IMO. 35 cold is not too hard and not too soft.

I set mine according to a calibrated gauge that I double check against another gauge as my TPMS always reads 3 P.S.I less. (32 PSI TPMS = 35 PSI actual).

We've had temps in the 40-50's during the day. My tire pressure dropped to 32 as is expected. I dutifully air it up to 35 as the door sticker indicates. Then in a few days we'll warm up into the 60's and the tire show as 37. Now they're overinflated!

What is one to do with fluctuations like this? Set it in the middle and forget about it?

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Yep.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.