Navigation Maps Update?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Navigation Maps Update? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hi Folks, I've got a 2010 and was wondering how I go about getting the maps updated on my nav ...
    JChen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS AWD Performance, 2010 SRX AWD Luxury

Navigation Maps Update?

Hi Folks,

I've got a 2010 and was wondering how I go about getting the maps updated on my nav system?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

allgm is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX FWD Gray Flannel / Ebony Premium 3.0 Chrome Techs

Re: Navigation Maps Update?

You can buy a updated disc on E-Bay ect or have the dealer do it. Or wait for the Washington D.C. defualt and get it done under warranty.

algiorda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 , 2010, 2014 Luxury Raven Blk w/Ebony

Don't shoot the messenger, but when I went to the dealer for my last service I inquired about a map update, and they told me; "Your maps are updated automatically via OnStar"? This was from the Service Manager. I said; "Huh?", how come they sell Map Disks from GM Direct Parts and he said that's for OEM installs? WTF?

To this date I cannot find anyone to corroborate.

Avenger9 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I should think so long as you're under warranty, all you need to do is ask for it? Shouldn't be a problem to update to the latest map database version. FWIW, my dealer now says the Washington DC default is NORMAL. Yeah, right.....

Quote Originally Posted by allgm View Post
    You can buy a updated disc on E-Bay ect or have the dealer do it. Or wait for the Washington D.C. defualt and get it done under warranty.

Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

Normal if you live in DC maybe.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic

Maybe all the SRX's just want to go to Washington? I wonder what they want?

algiorda, my salesman told me the same 'OnStar updates the maps via a download'. I think something might have been mentioned about the dealer having to initiate the download though. I might be making that last part up... i can't remember completely...
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

larryk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 10 SRX Previously 01 BMW X5

Maps are not updated via Onstar, they have nothing to do with it...
    GM no longer provides any free map updates through their dealers (they used to , at one time, provided one years worth)
    You must purchase your updates via http://www.gmnavdisc.com/ or a third party source such as ebay.

allgm is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX FWD Gray Flannel / Ebony Premium 3.0 Chrome Techs

No Navigation updates for me. After one reprogram and two radio replacements to fix Washing D.C. default. I wil leave well enough alone.
    That was the only issue I have had with my 2010 SRX . My 2008 SRX 3.6 only issue was timing chain at 32,000 under warranty.
    davedogcaddy and davedogcaddy like this.

larryk, I did find it incredulous that they could update maps via the OnStar radio. Maybe the Service Manager who told me was confused with "turn-by-turn" directions.

I've always been skeptical of purchasing new maps, especially for $200.00, because they never indicate the scope of the changes from one year to the next. At least they could advertise something like we have updated x,xxx number of roads, exits, streets, highways, access roads, restaurants, gas stations, etc. But you never see that published. It makes you wonder if your getting true value or not.

waad@tnt21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have the 2010 SRX with NAV and I find in Canada outside of Toronto it is next to useless I ahave taken to using a 99 dollar after market device which has a much better set of maps. Had NAV fail along with some memory and needed a radio replacement , this is not an uncommon failure

llj0621 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): srx

I just hookup the iPhone and use its Google Maps. The turn by turn instructions come over the radio. The radio volume is automatically lowered when the iPhone nav "speaks". Its free and better and always up to date.

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Quote Originally Posted by llj0621 View Post
    I just hookup the iPhone and use its Google Maps. The turn by turn instructions come over the radio. The radio volume is automatically lowered when the iPhone nav "speaks". Its free and better and always up to date.
    I wish these car makers would just make an iPod like screen that you can hook your phone up to and use it instead of making all this custom stuff. I much prefer Google Nav over the SRX's Nav anyday.

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    I wish these car makers would just make an iPod like screen that you can hook your phone up to and use it instead of making all this custom stuff. I much prefer Google Nav over the SRX's Nav anyday.
    Well you really can't compare your 2010 SRX navigation features to the new navigation on the 2013 SRX. If you get a chance I would highly recommend that you try out the new CUE with the built in navigation on the 2013 SRX. It is in one word "phenomenal" If the driver needs a better view the map will even zoom in and out automatically depending where you are in your programed route. The instructions are more user friendly and the interaction is much more accurate and more detailed especially when you have to make any turns in a busy area with a lot of cross streets or access roads. It will even tell you to take the second right instead of just telling you to turn right in a quarter of a mile so when you are approaching a street you don't have to start wondering if that is the correct street to turn onto or not. I have a Garmin and I have goggle maps and an iPhone with directions too. All in all I love the huge screen size that shows split information etc and combined with more information that can be displayed on your driver's DIC cluster too. The music is lowered automatically when directions are being announced and there is so much more... thus it is no surprise that I am highly recommending using the standard SRX navigation over any other option out there by far.
    HDI0390 likes this.

There is nothing wrong with my 2010 Nav system. It works great and beats the hassle of having extra hardware and wires all over the place with an external map unit. Could my Nav system use a map update, YES! Does the dealer do it, NO! Every time I ask my service manager he gives me a cockamamie story that my maps are updated automatically through OnStar, which is utter nonsense.

The question is; how much are you willing to pay for a map update DVD every year?

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

Quote Originally Posted by algiorda View Post
    There is nothing wrong with my 2010 Nav system. It works great and beats the hassle of having extra hardware and wires all over the place with an external map unit. Could my Nav system use a map update, YES! Does the dealer do it, NO! Every time I ask my service manager he gives me a cockamamie story that my maps are updated automatically through OnStar, which is utter nonsense.

The question is; how much are you willing to pay for a map update DVD every year?
    WOW! That IS a load of crap! I don't care who's map data you use, it will never be as accurate as you'd like it to be. A human has to drive around and collect the data first. I personally find the nav in my 2012 SRX to be decent. I like the way it integrates with the XM Traffic and it does what it's supposed to do. Even the portable units are quickly eclipsed by new models. As mentioned above, the clean look is head and shoulders above any aftermarket unit-no matter how good the install job. Having the nav also gives me the pop-up/full sized screen. I can't even imagine having that tiny little display in my SRX. So glad I got the nav. I don't use it alot, but it does just fine when I do. I recently let it re-route me around a mess on the NE Extension of the PA Turnpike just north of Philadelphia. That was worth the entire the cost of the unit to me. I know that a smart phone can probably do a similar thing, but the factory unit is very user friendly.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.