Navigation Maps Update? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Navigation Maps Update? in Cadillac SRX Forums; When the in-car map updates are free and downloadable via OnStar then the system will be much better. I am ...
    stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Re: Navigation Maps Update?

When the in-car map updates are free and downloadable via OnStar then the system will be much better. I am not paying $299/year for a maps update.

I just got rid of XM Radio too. I got tired of having to call them up and haggle over prices for music that repeats way too often.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

The map updates are $199 not $299 ... you're being over-charged if you pay more than $199

and the onstar turn-by-turn directions (if you have the directions and connections onstar pkg) are updated automatically but the maps in the internal nav are not

this is not a GM thing ... it's a map thing ... the maps are owned by two companies NAVTEQ (Nokia owns them) and TeleAtlas (TomTom owns them)
    they pretty much have the manufacturers over a barrel ... have you looked up what BMW/Merc/Lexus/etc map updates cost?

Google is probably the next navigation map company out there but for some reason the major manufacturers aren't partnering with them
    i'd really like to know the story behind that ... it's gotta be a good one
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

beachcad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury AWD

The idea of having a complete map database stored on a navigation system is an antiquated method, IMO. I prefer a realtime download of the area requested. The realtime maps provide the most up to date information possible. The lack of realtime maps is the single biggest reason that I do not like the built-in navigation system. I also prefer the choice of navigation software. At some point, GM and other vehicle manufacturters will catch up (maybe?)

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

In all honesty how often would one really need to update their NAV? IMO: Unless you are traveling a lot and are going to a new area that you aren't sure if things have changed or not I believe one should be ok to update your system every couple of years or so ... at least for the average user.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc NY View Post
    In all honesty how often would one really need to update their NAV?
    If they are realtime, the answer is never.

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by beachcad View Post
    If they are realtime, the answer is never.
    I agree having down loadable capabilities is the best thing to have but please share with us who has "realtime" (latest and most up to-date info) down-loadable Maps? Yes, there are systems that can receive down loadable software updates but how "current" are those updates? It is my understanding that there are two main vendors who make up data maps and who must collect their data throughout the year and then put out a new update every year in the fall. So please tell me who generates "REAL" time updates that are yes done in REAL TIME???

OnStar Advisor is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by algiorda View Post
    There is nothing wrong with my 2010 Nav system. It works great and beats the hassle of having extra hardware and wires all over the place with an external map unit. Could my Nav system use a map update, YES! Does the dealer do it, NO! Every time I ask my service manager he gives me a cockamamie story that my maps are updated automatically through OnStar, which is utter nonsense.

The question is; how much are you willing to pay for a map update DVD every year?
    algiorda,

OnStar can not update the maps in your embedded Navigation system, but you can check here for vehicle updates: http://mapupdate.navigation.com/GM/

I hope this helps!

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
    Social Media Team

Quote Originally Posted by Marc NY View Post
    I agree having down loadable capabilities is the best thing to have but please share with us who has "realtime" (latest and most up to-date info) down-loadable Maps? Yes, there are systems that can receive down loadable software updates but how "current" are those updates? It is my understanding that there are two main vendors who make up data maps and who must collect their data throughout the year and then put out a new update every year in the fall. So please tell me who generates "REAL" time updates that are yes done in REAL TIME???
    Marc,
    Surely you don't think that all of the vendor (NAVTEQ) map updates are 'held' and only applied to the map database only once a year. True, the 'updates' that get distributed via discs are only produced and sent yearly. A navigation system that utilizes NAVTEQ as the digital map database provider has access to a 'current' map database and will always be the most up to date.

This is an excerpt from the NAVTEQ website:
    "NAVTEQ Map data offers accuracy, detail, reliability, and flexibility. Continuously updated to maintain its freshness and precision..."

how do you propose these "realtime" updates "download" to the vehicle?

satellite?
    3g/4g/LTE?

and how would it be paid for? like xm/onstar where you have a monthly charge?
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    how do you propose these "realtime" updates "download" to the vehicle?

satellite?
    3g/4g/LTE?

and how would it be paid for? like xm/onstar where you have a monthly charge?
    Yes, to me a monthly charge is preferable. The monthly charge for my navigation is considerably less than $200/yr.

anything more than $20/month (basically) will cost you more than the $200/year

just about all cell service will cost you double that (think verizon mifi or wifi tethering for an iphone etc)

also... another reason that the maps are on disc (optical or solid state) is so that they are always available
    imagine navigating to a destination and then all of a sudden losing cell service (or maxing out your data limit!)

just about all cell service will cost you double that (think verizon mifi or wifi tethering for an iphone etc)

also... another reason that the maps are on disc (optical or solid state) is so that they are always available
    imagine navigating to a destination and then all of a sudden losing cell service (or maxing out your data limit!)
    I pay $4.99/mo, and I have voice guided turn by turn, lane intructions, and realtime traffic. The map data is downloaded dynamically, so the entire North American continent does not have to be loaded or stored. Only the pertinent area is downloaded (from a current map database) and only kept for the duration of the navigation trip. I understand your concerns, I have seen them listed before. I've been using my navigation app for over 4 years and never had any of the problems you cited. I'm not trying to sell anything here, and I'm not going to advertise for anyone. I just think a better alternative exists for the built-in navigation system. I'm really surprised by the support being given to the disc approach, by anyone, but to each their own.

Who do you pay 4.99/mo to?
    For the nav app? Or the connectivity?
    Or both?

Who do you pay 4.99/mo to?
    For the nav app? Or the connectivity?
    Or both?
    I sent you a PM

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

So you're supposed to wait an entire year for Nav updates? The roads here in Austin are updating on a daily basis. If they downloaded the Nav updates to the hard drive then you wouldn't be stuck if your cell service was out of range. The updates could be done perhaps monthly via OnStar. Believe me, if they can stream XM music and get diagnostics from your car via OnStar, it's just a matter of some programming for them to download map updates on a more frequent basis.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.