Replacement Antenna for SRX
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Replacement Antenna for SRX in Cadillac SRX Forums; I've checked the posts, and several people have inquired about replacing the OEM antenna for various reasons. I also need ...
    Ted K is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX - Crystal Red AWD Performance with DVD (Hers)

Replacement Antenna for SRX

I've checked the posts, and several people have inquired about replacing the OEM antenna for various reasons. I also need to consider this as we park our cars in the garage and the OEM antenna has twice banged the bracket for the garage opener (we live in a high ranch style home and the garage ceiling is lower than ideal). I've read that the antenna has either XM or GPS wire rapped around the main antenna. I don't believe this to be true. We also own a 2011 GMC Acadia Denali with XM and onstar. I changed that antenna to a stubby one from StubbyAntenna.com 12 months ago and have had no ill effects with XM or Onstar. The OEM antenna on that car also had the wire rapped around it under the plastic/rubber coating. Interested in finding out if anyone has actually tried changing the antenna. I still have a shorter one from the car the SRX replaced and my try it before ordering to see if it causes any problems. Would really appreciate hearing from any informed sources on this. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cvettr/cts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Infrared CTS-V

Re: Replacement Antenna for SRX

I thought one person went to the body colored shark fin through aftermarket with some success.[COLOR="Silver"]

----------

----------

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...5mnFD0Won3CTFg

try this link

You are correct, I hadn't mentioned that. I was looking for an easier swap though without having to visit the paint shop for a car that's 5 days new. I think a screw type replacement will work fine. I'm not really sure to be honest what the wire rapped around the antenna mast is, but like I mentioned, it didn't have any ill effects with our Acadia Denali; everything still works a-okay so I'm skeptical that changing the SRX's antenna won't work. I was really hoping someone had experimented with this. I might just have to play guinea pig.

2012SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

I have bought 3 shark fins from VG for 3 different vehicles and have had no issue with installation or performance...do live in the Dallas metro area though. Just provide them with your paint color code and make/model/year. Send an email if your vehicle does not come up as an option on their website. They have it painted at apparently an excellent local paint facility...my silver matches exactly including a smooth, professional finish.

What's the replacement process? Clearly it isn't a five minute swap of the screw on type. Also, where did you purchase it and what was the cost? Thanks.

TN 2011 SRX is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Premium

I did replace my antennae with a Shark Fin Antennae shortly after purchasing my 2011 SRX Premium Color Platinum Ice Metallic. The antennae works great with FM & XM with no problems. I did notice a loss of reception with AM but, I can't remember when I last used a AM radio station. No effect with Onstar at all. The installation process is simple and complete instructions came with my Shark Fin Antennae. Anyone can do this installation as it only requires installing one screw into the base where the old antennae mast was located. Then cleaning the area around the base with alcohol prior to sticking the Shark Fin Antennae with supplied tape. The antennae has been on my SRX since Aug of 2011 and washed numerous times with no signs of any separation. The color match from the vendor was a perfect match as you provide your color code from the vehicle when ordering. Please see my thread that I started about the Shark Fin. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...na-update.html

FYI for those that are interested. As I suspected, the XM and Onstar are NOT running through the antenna. I removed the OEM antenna completely and had no loss of XM or Onstar performance. Even called Onstar to check signal strength and everything was fine. Problem I'm having with replacement is the threads on the OEM antenna are very fine. The replacement I have from our previous car would be the perfect length but the threads are not the same. The diameter of the screw works but not the threads. It has several adapters and none work. I also tried the OEM antenna from our 2011 Acadia Denali. It has the same wrapped wire but is two inches shorter. I had to replace it on the Denali as it was too long but it would work perfect on the SRX. However, the threads are the same as the replacement antenna I have and won't screw into the srx properly. Ughhh! May have to do more research on a shark fin.

If you have no performance difference what about leaving off and find a cap of some sort to plug hole left by unscrewing antenna?

Well, I thought about that. WOuld like to have AM/FM though in a pinch. Ordered the shark fin from VG. Kinda pricey for an antenna, but didn't really feel I had another choice and been driving around for a week without an antenna. Worried about a downpour getting in the roof. Carrying the old one just in case, but it's my wife's car so she's not likely to get out in the rain and climb up to screw it in. Thanks for the input though.

good points.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.