Washing Your SRX
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Washing Your SRX in Cadillac SRX Forums; Am I the only one with an SRX who won't use an automated car wash? Automated car washes seems to ...
    paid4c4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX/AWD Premium

Washing Your SRX

Am I the only one with an SRX who won't use an automated car wash? Automated car washes seems to spider web the paint and tends to dull the finish over time. I use a hand car wash which uses soft towels and mitts and leaves the paint clear and shiny. Maybe I'm a little anal about my cars. Comments welcome.
    Bill

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cooper10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

Re: Washing Your SRX

Automated car washes recycle the dirty water and use it over and over. The soution is now made up detergents and fine grit. Over time the paint is sandblasted from high pressure cleaning and the paint becomes dull.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

I wand wash and scrub with a sponge on days I have time, in the middle of winter I hit up a 'Lazer Wash' (touchless auto wash) and wipe down with microfibre when it gets back in the garage and thaws for awhile.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

allgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX FWD Gray Flannel / Ebony Premium 3.0 Chrome Techs

I have never ran a car through a car wash in my life time. I have hot water if it is above 32 I will wash it out side. Then pull in garage to dry off.
    In the winter if roads are salty I will hose the salt and sludge off before I pull into garage. Neighbors think I am nuts wasting hot water.

Lencarguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2015 XTS - 4 Premium

Never use a car-wash either. I wash vehicle in the garage by hand in winter. I agree that car-washes scratch the finish and don't do a very good job anyway.

cvettr/cts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Infrared CTS-V

We never use car washes. We have found 2 places that will hand wash when it is not convienient to do ourselves and in winter. The more expensive place also has touchless and they really try to talk you into that instead. I don't understand trying to talk someone out of a premuim service, If you don't want to do it, be like most carwashes and don't offer hand washes. They charge $40.00 for hand wash and dry. The other place is a small 2 guy shop who hand wash and dry with microfiber towels for jusy $8.00. I still can't understand why so cheap other than they are relatively new and trying to build up a good customer base. I hope they stay in business for a long long time.

22velocity is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 cadillac srx performance

I use 2 capfulls of optimum no rinse wash in 2 gallons of water. I start from the top down, doing the tires and wheels last. If the SrX is real dirty I will use a seperate bucket of clear water to rinse the applicator cloth prior to putting it in the bucket of optimum solution. I do a panel at a time drying with a soft towel as soon as i put on the no rinse. I can do the entire vehicle in 30 minutes. When you dry the panel, the optimum no rinse leaves a nice slick finish over the several coats of Zaino sealant that I have on the SRX. Frank

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper10 View Post
    Automated car washes recycle the dirty water and use it over and over. The solution is now made up detergents and fine grit. Over time the paint is sandblasted from high pressure cleaning and the paint becomes dull.
    Some of the best automatic car washes do an excellent job with the care that is taken on your car's finish.

One of the best car wash chains out there is based in the WNY area called "Delta Sonic". They use only fresh water and they do not recycle their old water. No spinning brushes and they use various types of environmentally safe solution sprays along with very soft 2-3 inch vertical cloth strips. They also spray the undercarriage with a two step process. First step, they use a soap and water solution to help remove dirt, road grit and salt particles and in the second step they apply a rust inhibitor. That helps to keep the heavy salt we use in our harsh winters from accumulating and or building up onto the brakes lines etc. etc. A friend of mine ran his hand over my year and half old 2010 SRX last summer and asked me what kind of wax I had used. He said it was very smooth to the touch and had an awesome shine. He almost fell over when I told him all I have done is gone through the Delta Sonic car washes with their wax and spraying solutions. I even told him that there was a 2011 SRX at my plant that I was going to buy but after looking at the rear brake calibres I noticed there was this ugly salt corrosion built up film on them. I could tell he hadn't taken very good care of his vehicle at all. That is what will happen when one does not wash your vehicle enough during the high salt winter months.

Even though no car wash is perfect I have used them since the early 70's and with today's newer technologies they sure do keep my new cars looking brand new. I have to admit that my 2010 SRX did encounter some wheel damage to the front rims due to the fact I came in at a very bad angle and the track pulled me back into alignment and that hard impact onto their padded rail was hard enough to damage and or crack the plastic under the chrome tech wheel coating causing the chrome to eventually start to flake off. If I had chrome over steel it would have been a mere small ding instead.

Yes, I still use that car wash at least 3 times a week.

NOTE: I see a lot of Mercedes, BWM's, Cadillacs, Corvettes, Camaros and Dodge Challengers etc go through the Delta Sonic car washes with absolutely no problems ... however I have to admit I will only wash my Chevrolet SSR (Super Sport Roadster) by hand even the undercarriage gets special treatment (See Below).

FYI: I don't like to wipe down all the water spots after a wash so I usually hand wipe with a spritzer show polish spray and soft towel between my rare washings.

paid4c4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX/AWD Premium

Quote Originally Posted by 22velocity View Post
    I use 2 capfulls of optimum no rinse wash in 2 gallons of water. I start from the top down, doing the tires and wheels last. If the SrX is real dirty I will use a seperate bucket of clear water to rinse the applicator cloth prior to putting it in the bucket of optimum solution. I do a panel at a time drying with a soft towel as soon as i put on the no rinse. I can do the entire vehicle in 30 minutes. When you dry the panel, the optimum no rinse leaves a nice slick finish over the several coats of Zaino sealant that I have on the SRX. Frank
    I thought you sounded like a Zaino geek! I was just able to complete the Zaino process on our SRX. It will be a lot easier to keep
    clean now that I have it sealed with Zaino. When rain water and dirt don't stick the car just stays cleaner.
    Bill

22velocity is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 cadillac srx performance

Hey Bill, I detail about 20 vehicles a year in my retirement,my go to sealant is zaino.My customers love the way their cars look and the finish lasts for at least 6-7 months. Currently I am looking forward to a product being developed out in Pennsylvania by Ross Technologies called "Never Wet" superhydrophonic coating what a breakthrough, water and dirt will literally fly off the finish, I just hope that when it is released next year, the coating will last. Stay tuned,Frank

cvettr/cts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Infrared CTS-V

Wow! I just googled them very interesting product and crap load of uses if it lasts. I could see some body shops having panel blend issues but with sanding prep maybe not an issue. Some of the videos are wild. Gonna have to try to remember to look into when it is available.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Yea, i've seen that neverwet stuff! I really hope that stuff turns out as good as it looks!
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

I don't even auto-wash the 160K mile A6 with clear that is praticly toast..

MacMuse is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS N* 1SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc NY
    Some of the best automatic car washes do an excellent job with the care that is taken on your car's finish.

One of the best car wash chains out there is based in the WNY area called "Delta Sonic". ...
    I'm a big fan. They have a bunch of stores in the Chicago area also.

greyghost04 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, '14 SRX 3.6 AWD

I lease so it's not my SRX. Go thru car washes all the time and never seen any swirl marks. In the winter I can't see any other way to get it clean. I'm not going out on my driveway when it's 20 below with a bucket of hot water.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.