How long does it take your Nav to "acquire" satellites upon startup
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Avenger9
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, How long does it take your Nav to "acquire" satellites upon startup in Cadillac SRX Forums; Humor me, I need to convince myself this is abnormal before I add this to the list of service things ...
    Avenger9 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

How long does it take your Nav to "acquire" satellites upon startup

Humor me, I need to convince myself this is abnormal before I add this to the list of service things to be done.....

It takes our nav roughly 30sec to acquire the satellite signal (lock in our position) upon start-up. (We park outside, unobstructed) That's not normal?

We won't get into the WashingtonDC thing that still persists, and the clock that forgot about daylight savings. The issues with this nav system really are unbelievable. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

allgm is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX FWD Gray Flannel / Ebony Premium 3.0 Chrome Techs

Re: How long does it take your Nav to "acquire" satellites upon startup

I park in our garage back in. Never timed it but it takes a while for the XM to kick in. I takes about a block and half. Think it is slower in the winter position of the earth to satellite. ?? But the rest of the day seems to hook up faster on start up. Got to go, see what Santa left in the driveway. lol

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Mine usually takes <10 seconds with a normal field of vision (wood garage, outside), more if i'm under some heavy concrete or parking structure.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

algiorda is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 , 2010, 2014 Luxury Raven Blk w/Ebony

Mine is less than 10 seconds as well...Usually about the time it takes to backout the driveway and the time for my backup camera and pop up display to return to normal display.

I never seem to have Satellite acquisition issues with this system.

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

I think 30 seconds is reasonable, based on nearly every GPS receiver I have (phone, Garmins, etc). I should say, though, that 'aquiring satellites' and beginning to show movement on the display may be different. See next para.

That said, the Nav system is probably 'assisted' by Onstar or the compass. On my Trailblazer (04) the nav system would still accurately track me in tunnels and parking garages. Of course, it wasnt receiving any signal there. I did some checking and at least that old nav system would estimate position using the compass and speed info. As a matter of fact, I never confirmed it in any way, but I read that the system would actually only poll GPS location every 30 seconds or something, to refine position. I had a little tag that would pop up and say 'GPS'. I always thought it would do that whenever it had lost the signal. From what I read, that tag on the screen actually meant that it was using GPS at that time, rather than lost it.

The Nav system probably has much better smarts in it to deal with urban valleys (driving between buildings) etc in order to smooth out the nav experience... The SRX nav may have nothing of the sort I describe above, but it seems it would need SOMETHING to deal with GPS LOS, whether caused by dense trees, parking garages, tunnels, etc.

smiley47 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon Black Diamond Tri-Coat

My NAV and XM kick in almost the instant I back out of my garage, in fact the XM kicks in the moment I start the vehicle. Just a WAG, but could the difference in time have anything to do with satellite location and the farther south the vehicle is it connects faster than those who are in the northern latitudes?

XM depends on where you are, too. They have terrestrial repeaters that solve the urban canyon problems. Granted, they are mostly in heavily populated urban areas, where the payoff of keeping people happy with a good signal is at its highest. They have lots of repeaters in Washington DC, allowing a lot of people to even get a signal inside a building.
    XM and Sirius use S-band, in the 2-4 ghz range. GPS, I am pretty sure, uses L-band, in the 1-2ghz range; just above cell phones. The higher the freq, the more susceptible it is to blocking by structures. Think of your cell phone in an elevator. Of course, this can be overcome by broadcast power, but remember, GPS is in middle earth orbit (again, I think) which is about 7,000 miles away. A long distance for a 100w signal to travel. XM and Sirius are in GEO at 28,000 miles.

Trippy is offline Banned

for some reason, they like to use those crazy 'kilometers' as distance units! I remember GEO is 28,000 miles. Thats pretty much a constant. 'MEO' is a very 'fluid' range, depending on what the purpose of the orbit is.
    As for the band they use, that is especially important relating to its ability to penetrate objects. Up in the Ku range, the signal will barely penetrate a plastic weather-proof cover, and even higher (50ghz) wont even penetrate the atmosphere.

frankrizzo135 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance

I don't think Onstar has anything to do with it, I discontinued the service along with XM radio. My navigation comes on instantly.

Yeah, I didnt really mean the onstar service itself. There are computers that may be part of the onstar system, that estimate position as well. My old nav system would at least show the correct orientation, direction and movement using speed input from the vehicle and direction from the compass. These were some of the things Onstar relied on in case GPS wasnt available.
    All I was getting at was that the Nav system 'should' show info and update, EVEN if GPS satellite lock hadnt finished yet.

Avenger9 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Just to circle back and close out my own thread - after a new nav unit, we're back to 5-10sec (NORMAL!!) acquisition times. Just needed a new nav box, that's all.....no biggie
    MacMuse and MacMuse like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.