2012 SRX Luxury some Nav observations
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 2012 SRX Luxury some Nav observations in Cadillac SRX Forums; Just picked up my Xenon Blue SRX a couple of days ago and have been playing with the nav, etc ...
    Jonkarn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 Xenon Blue/Ebony SRX Lux AWD w/N av

2012 SRX Luxury some Nav observations

Just picked up my Xenon Blue SRX a couple of days ago and have been playing with the nav, etc trying to figure things out. Overall the Nav system is pretty good, it's function outweighing its aesthetic appearance. The software seems a bit outdated graphics wise, at least compared to my Infiniti system I just came from. However, I think it is actually more functional and usable, in terms of ease and helpfulness.

Not sure how I feel about the pop up screen, although the size is impressive and you have a bit of wow factor when you raise the screen. I think I may be a bigger fan of the screen fitting into the dash as commonly seen, than sticking up. Not a big deal though.

The touchscreen is more sensitive and accurate than what I'm used to. I like the iPod controls, as close to the actual iPod controls as I've seen. My problem comes when I try to use my iPod while also following a gps destination. It seems that I can no longer use the arrow up/down on my steering wheel to skip through ipod songs while the navigation system is activated(a destination has been programmed). Those wheel buttons will function correctly when the regular radio is on, to switch stations, but it won't skip songs on the iPod while nav is on. Am I doing something wrong here? Is there some setting I need to change?

Also I find it odd that GM would take the functional and effective "source" button on the steering wheel, and replace it with the steering wheel heater button on Lux and above models. Granted I like the heated steering wheel, but I also tended to use the source button n my previous car to toggle between radio sources, as I often like to switch to my iPod when nothing good is on the radio. Now I have to reach to the dash and find the ambiguous button to push to do this(all buttons same size and shape) taking my eyes off the road. Why not put a dedicated steering wheel heat button somewhere else and a more important button like "source" on the wheel. Oh well.

Along these same lines, you cannot control any of the navigation functions from the steering wheel, u can only use the touch screen. My previous car had a toggle button that you could skip through Nav menu items, including going back, canceling route, traffic updates, as well as controlling the iPod to change playlists not only to go forward and back through songs, etc. The button was limited for safety reasons, but you could do some simple things to save you from reaching the screen while driving, an even bigger safety hazard.

Overall I love the tech in the car, just figured I would add my 2 cents about some of the details of the system, and maybe you guys could help clear up a couple of questions I had about it, especially the iPod control while a navigation destination is directing me.

All cars have their quirks, and there is no perfect Nav systems out there. This one has it's pros and cons as do most, but it's still pretty good. Infiniti has one of the best, and Cadillac is not far behind. Curious as to other peoples opinions of it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

paid4c4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX/AWD Premium

Re: 2012 SRX Luxury some Nav observations

Jon, I picked up our 2012 SRX Premium AWD the last week of October. I also had an Infiniti, while you didn't say which model you had I had the FX35. I agree with all of your observations regarding the NAV system. Overall I like the SRX Nav better than my FX NAV. Regarding the GraceNote hard drive song recording system there is no comparison at all, my SRX is far superior. It might be that GraceNote made improvements between 2009 and 2012 and Infiniti's new models might be similar? So far the SRX has been a step up. I love the heated steering wheel, power lift gate, and NAV screen and programing when compared to the FX. I'm also getting much better fuel economy.
    Bill

Trippy is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paid4c4 View Post
    Jon, I picked up our 2012 SRX Premium AWD the last week of October. I also had an Infiniti, while you didn't say which model you had I had the FX35. I agree with all of your observations regarding the NAV system. Overall I like the SRX Nav better than my FX NAV. Regarding the GraceNote hard drive song recording system there is no comparison at all, my SRX is far superior. It might be that GraceNote made improvements between 2009 and 2012 and Infiniti's new models might be similar? So far the SRX has been a step up. I love the heated steering wheel, power lift gate, and NAV screen and programing when compared to the FX. I'm also getting much better fuel economy.
    Bill
    How old was your FX35?

doctormstein1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

I have a 2010 SRX. For me nothing beats a TOMTOM. Way too cluttered on the screen plus live traffic on the TomTom can't be beat. Its so much better then the Caddy. I really only use the SRX Nav for an emergency along with ONStar help. Just my opinion.

I had a 2008 EX35. I believe the Nav is the same as the FX. I also like all the things the caddy has that the Infiniti didn't, like lift gate and heated steering wheel, and bigger back seat, organizer system in hatch, quiet ride, and more solid construction. I will miss the quickness and overall handling of the smaller, lower EX35, I'm not yet confident with the bigger taller heavier caddy to throw it around like I did the EX. One of the best small things the SRX has is the drivers seat thigh bolster extender! I'm 6th but with long legs and I felt the Infiniti seat was so short, coming barely halfway down my thigh. This one reaches almost to my knees whcich is much more appropriate.
    As a former Infiniti owner, do you miss the engine and exhaust note? I do. I can only hear the computerized Type sound of the SRX when it revs up, and it's much less organic than the Infinitis growl. And other than revs over 4K I can barely hear anything the SRX is so quiet. That's good but a bit boring. It does have more than enough power though.

Anyway, anyone come up with a solution to my IPod and Navigation usage simultaneously and being able to use steering wheel control problem?

In reference to the Tom Tom, I know that standalone GPS units are great these days, but I just can't see myself paying 45K for a car and have a small Nav screen suctioned to my windshield. Just me though. I like seamless integration.

paid4c4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX/AWD Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Trippy View Post
    How old was your FX35?
    I had a 2009 FX35.
    While the FX was a little quicker off the line the better gas mileage of the SRX over the Infiniti sounds better than the FX exhaust note. I enjoyed the FX and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one or to buy another. But for me the SRX was a step up and I'm not looking back.
    Bill

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux

I agree, but since you've already bought, I cant offer much help. I specifically went looking for a Lux WITHOUT Nav. I'll use my phone if I really need it (which sits nicely against the dash, behind the shifter lever... I love the nav systems but just couldnt justify a couple grand for something that only added to the gadget factor (of which I am still a big fan)...

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

I have used my 'Source' button on the steering wheel once. In 48 xxx kms and almost two years.

When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

jcarlilesiu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Ice SRX4 Luxury Collection +Nav +RSE - 35,000M

There is a source button on the steering wheel?

I am kidding. Yes there is. I have never once pushed it.

I hate cycling button functions. I either push too many times to get to where I want to go, or I have to push, wait, push, wait. Its annoying. I like buttons that take me where I want to go in one push.

Just my .02

Oh, and yes, you should be able to use the steering wheel to skip tracks on an ipod while the nav is activated.

Trippy is offline Banned

I think the Source button is a waste of good space on the steering wheel. I drove a 2009 SRX over a weekend while my 2010 was being "delivered". I loved the heated steering wheel and was disappointed that it went away in the 2010 model. I'm glad to see they came to their senses and returned that feature in 2012.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Actually Trippy, a few early build 2010's made it out of the factory with heated wheel's. I have a buddy who's parents pulled one from the states and it has it!
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux

I almost feel lame posting it, but as someone who has never had a heated steering wheel, I thought that was the stupidest option ever... I mean, has no one ever heard of gloves???

Of all the options on my 2012, I would have to say, that stupid little option HAS to be in my top 3 (only because I wont admit to it being #1)... A heated wheel is MONEY!

Trippy is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Huey Driver View Post
    I almost feel lame posting it, but as someone who has never had a heated steering wheel, I thought that was the stupidest option ever... I mean, has no one ever heard of gloves???

Of all the options on my 2012, I would have to say, that stupid little option HAS to be in my top 3 (only because I wont admit to it being #1)... A heated wheel is MONEY!
    I have gloves now! Thanks to no heated steering wheel on my 2010 CADILLAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Huey Driver View Post

I feel the same way about the heated steering wheel. Until you have it you never know you would have wanted it. Yes you can wear gloves, but there's nothing like a heated wheel to warm u up on a cold morning. I'll compare it to heating floors in a bathroom. Sounds stupid, but when you have it you wouldn't want to live without it

Yes, I now see the iPod can be controlled when the navigation is plotting a course. What has happened to me several times is that the iPod controls will freeze, and I have to unplug and replug my iPhone. The music will p,ay but I cannot control it. Does this happen to anyone else? Seems it happens almost every time I get in the car and plug in my iPhone. Always needs a replug. Will have to look into this more.

I'm a big source button user. As soon as the radio or XM lets me down with the music selections, or there's a commercial, I immediately switch to my iPod. Oh well. Would rather have heated wheel if that's the only option.

Something else I'm surprised about. There is an electric petal adjustment button thingy, but no electric steering wheel adjustment? Tough to get that perfect wheel position with a mechanical lever, especially when your short wife is driving the car after you. A lot of adjusting going on there. I could do without the pedal controls and would rather have the steering wheel controls. Infiniti does this well. Everyone has their peeves I guess.

Still loving the car though. I do notice the 10 speaker Bose system is way better than the one in the Infiniti. That had 10 speakers as well, but I think the sub was smaller and located in the spare tire, and the 2 back hatch speakers were located too low and to the sides. Anyone know the location of the sub in the SRX?

cz9h3d is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX and Escalade...and sometimes a CTS

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    Actually Trippy, a few early build 2010's made it out of the factory with heated wheel's. I have a buddy who's parents pulled one from the states and it has it!
    What? Impossible - have you actually see this car in person? They don't accidentally create wire harnesses, switches, and heated wheels 2 years early. This feature was never planned until the 2012MY to my knowledge.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.