Potential new SRX owner... nervous about pulling the trigger! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Potential new SRX owner... nervous about pulling the trigger! in Cadillac SRX Forums; I added the endorsement for Moore just so you had something to compare. It sounds like your dealer is your ...
    Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux

Re: Potential new SRX owner... nervous about pulling the trigger!

I added the endorsement for Moore just so you had something to compare. It sounds like your dealer is your preferred route. I never even really visited any of the DC area dealers. Some did better on price, but I had to consider trade as well. So driving 80 miles to a dealer that would sell at cost, but made it up on the trade, wasnt worth my while.

That said, I am very happy with the car! I have some small issues, but I'm kinda making up a list and will probably go in a few weeks and get them worked. I tend to be a pretty tolerant person tho, and rather than spending every friday afternoon in the service waiting area, I'll live with my seat memory problem until its convenient for me to get in to the dealer. Its warranty service, so I'm not worried at all.

I know you werent seeking negatives, I was just relaying my feelings on what I read here (and isnt it just true about everywhere). Generally, people with negative comments are more vocal and louder than those who are just happy. Someone with a list of issues and multiple visits to a dealer is just by nature going to have more and longer posts than someone who just posts how much they love their car. I am in latter category.

Willo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

Our 2010 Luxury with over 30,000 miles on it has been virtually trouble-free since our January 2010 purchase. Any new car is going to have "issues" and as a rule, Cadillac dealers go out of their way to render excellent service. As a former Michigander, I wouldn't think of owing a foreign vehicle..and the one Honda we had did have an out-of-warranty defective part which should have been covered, but their attitude was that of, "sorry, no extension of warranty for this and you.... customer...., be dammed."

Our actual experience with the SRX has been that of total satisfaction..excellent long trip vehicle, fun to drive anywhere, respectable gas mileage with the 3.0 (now improved to the 3.6) engine and it has that "Cadillac" feel inside with the soft surfaces and outstanding seating/controls/audio/nav system.

Should you have any problems the dealer can't resolve, GM gives out many options and really stands behind customer satisfaction as a mandate under their new reorganization...seriously, they "want" to keep you as a customer now and for repeat business.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong...the SRX is an excellent car and far "cooler" than anything else in it's price range.

leekes is offline Cadillac Owners Member

@Huey: I understand where you are coming from. We are not overly picky either... but, at the end of the day, I just want a car that is going to work right and maintain it's build quality over the years. I'm really not interested in paying a lot for a car that will have the roof liner coming apart... squeaks... and failing electronics... in 5 years or so. That's what has always led me to consumer reports and their rankings of reliability. And their rankings and comments have held true in my experience, with the exception of the VW Passat that we purchased which turned into a repair nightmare.

This is where I find myself... looking at the overall rankings of reliability for auto manufacturers. Not to say that they top rated ones don't have their issues - obviously they do - but it's no mystery that the same two or three sit at the top almost every year and I've owned most of those brands with a lot of success. On the flip side, American car manufacturers have - with the exception of Ford - been middling to very low. Again - not to say that all cars made by US makers are prone... but it's a measuring stick. It's almost like telling someone they can cross an alligator infested lake on bridge A (which has been prone to collapses far less than) bridge B. Bridge B might work... but Bridge A has an obvious advantage!

The reasons I am interested in the SRX are many... for me it comes down to what will happen in the long haul with the car and my dealer experience. In terms of the dealer, I understand I can take the car anywhere for servicing... and I've read that Cadillac is making an effort to educate and re-innitate strong customer service at it's dealerships. It really then becomes an issue of the longevity and build quality of the car. For someone who has watched the US Auto companies get surpassed by foreign car makers when it comes to overall quality ratings, it is a little tough to trust.

So, the real point of my post was to get folks such as yourself to give me your impressions. Yourself, Smiley, Bill... Willo(!), etc have given me some good feedback... and I really appreciate it.

doyall is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by leekes View Post
    ... but, at the end of the day, I just want a car that is going to work right and maintain it's build quality over the years. I'm really not interested in paying a lot for a car that will have the roof liner coming apart... squeaks... and failing electronics... in 5 years or so. ...
    As the current SRX version is only 2 1/2 years young I suggest that it is going to be difficult for anyone, including testers/pollsters, to do any more than speculate on long term aspects of the vehicle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This may or may not make you feel better as the SRX is hecho en México:

"General Motors Co., 10 weeks after ratifying a new labor contract with the UAW, said union hourly employees achieved vehicle-quality targets and will be eligible for about $12 million in bonuses."

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/2011...EM01/312079811 <meta name=#ixzz1g3didQVn

MnMs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX

My 2012 SRX is my third consecutive Cadillac. My first was a 1st generation SRX not one problem. Because I was so happy with it I traded that for a 2008 CTS wow what a vehicle, never a problem in over 48K miles and quality was first class. My satisfaction with the quality was the reason I traded my 08 CTS for a 2012 SRX AWD Performace. I have only owned it for about 2000 miles so I cannot tell you the long run quality. I tell you this, I looked at all of the crossovers you mentioned and there was no comparison to the SRX. If its been a few years since you purchased a new GM vehicle its time to give them another try. I suggest you do a three year lease.

Quote Originally Posted by MnMs View Post
    My 2012 SRX is my third consecutive Cadillac. My first was a 1st generation SRX not one problem. Because I was so happy with it I traded that for a 2008 CTS wow what a vehicle, never a problem in over 48K miles and quality was first class. My satisfaction with the quality was the reason I traded my 08 CTS for a 2012 SRX AWD Performace. I have only owned it for about 2000 miles so I cannot tell you the long run quality. I tell you this, I looked at all of the crossovers you mentioned and there was no comparison to the SRX. If its been a few years since you purchased a new GM vehicle its time to give them another try. I suggest you do a three year lease.
    Why a three year lease? I'd actually prefer cash... but I'm curious to know what you would suggest not keeping the car beyond 3 yrs?

smiley47 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon Black Diamond Tri-Coat

If you randomly peruse this board, I'll "guess" that you will find fewer complaints about the 2011 SRX than the 2010 and even fewer yet for the 2012 SRX. My first model year 2010 was pretty much trouble free and I believe the vehicle has gotten improved each subsequent model year. I wouldn't hesitate five minutes to buy a 2012 if I was in the market.

You can make yourself crazy waiting to find the perfect vehicle because none exist. At some point you have to take a leap of faith.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Because a lot of folks just want a new car every 2-3 years.

paid4c4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX/AWD Premium

Quote Originally Posted by leekes View Post
    Why a three year lease? I'd actually prefer cash... but I'm curious to know what you would suggest not keeping the car beyond 3 yrs?
    I've done the math on several occasions and can't make a lease work in my favor. But I do agree with you about the purchase of the 2012 SRX4. With 1800 miles we love it. It probably will go in about three years simply because I'll want something new and I can sell a three year old SRX with factory warranty remaining easier that a 4 or 5 year old SRX. I generally pay cash for my new cars and sell my old car myself usually on EBAY.
    Bill

CaddyShack CTS4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac Cts4 ; 3.6L DI

My family is actually in the market for a SRX as well. Their best friends bought the 2nd generation SRX I think in '09 though. So it has the smaller engine, possibly 3.0? So far they haven't had any trips to the shops. The thing is, it's all statistics and not 'personal' stories, because everyone has their good and bad stories. The judgement is up to you, but I think American car manufacturers and others too have improved their quality/dependability a lot. For instance, I believe buick/lexus/porsche tie first in dependability as manufacturer makers. Varies each year between those three. The only sound advice I can give you is that I would buy the 2012 version (If you can afford to buy new) because I think the 3.6DI is a more reliable engine. I don't have much evidence to support that claim other than Ward put it in the top 10 engines list (Believe in 2008). Whether that is related to reliability or my 'perceived' reliability is something I'll leave it to someone with more knowledge to answer. The 3.6 is definitely more responsive, that's for sure. You won't be disappointed, so far my car has run great. I have the 08 cts4 w/ the 3.6l DI. Like the other posters have wrote though, moving parts are subject to breaking no matter how well engineered the vehicle is. The SRX imo is a beautiful car, but than again that's an opinion.

I really like all of this feedback! This is exactly what I was hoping for...

I know much of this is going to hinge on the Volvo vs the SRX once I get a chance to test-drive the Volvo. Sounds like the cars are both similar... very close matches with a few distinct differences.

To be honest, so far most of you have made me feel much better about giving the SRX a really fair shake. I will say this: It's a very sharp looking car. It has some great bells and whistles. It has nice interior room for it's class. A side from my concern about reliability (which I won't rehash... ), the only thing I don't love about the car is it's turning radius. Could learn to live with it.

paid4c4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX/AWD Premium

I've also enjoyed the posts in this tread. Regarding reliability I feel better with a GM car than a car company owned by the Chinese auto manufacturer Geely. But thats just me.
    Bill

Cooper10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

Geely XE Sedan
    The Chinese know how to build a better mouse trap

Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

Caddyshack, the 3.6 is a great engine. Had one in my 05 CTS, and then got the DI in my 08 CTS. Before 1300 miles, Cadillac had to replace the engine. Getting water i n the oil, and it wasn't the head or head gasket. After that the car was trouble free and a neighbor is still driving it about 60 miles daily with no problems. I just post this to prove that even the most reliableof products can have faults, and also to prove that Cadillac willstand behind their products. Will I buy another SRX? Maybe, our local dealer sucks, and I have to go at least 70 miles to buy one. We do however have two outstanding Chevy dealers in small towns close by, so we could end up with a heavily optioned Equinox next. Will just have to wait and see.

DarrinMI is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX

I have owned my 2010 SRX since November 09. The only trips to the dealer have been for oil changes, to have fog lights installed and the defective piece of trim that fell off of most of the early build vehicles. I am someone who is very fussy about the car and believe me if I had rattles or anything that was not right my dealer would be paid a visit. I currently have 30K on the SRX and it runs as good today as the day I picked it up at the dealer. I also check out Consumer Reports and agree many times on their reviews, but they are not always right. Ultimately you need to buy a vehicle you are comfortable with from a dealer you trust.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.