Cadillac CUE First to Offer HD Radio™ Standard - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Cadillac CUE First to Offer HD Radio™ Standard in Cadillac SRX Forums; If it's a sham gimmick, it's a damn good one. I would never buy a car based on its radio, ...
    JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: Cadillac CUE First to Offer HD Radio™ Standard

If it's a sham gimmick, it's a damn good one. I would never buy a car based on its radio, but I put an HD radio in one of my previous cars, and it sounded phenomenal. The only thing that sounded better was an actual CD. The sound quality blew away ipod, and XM, well that's not even a comparison. I did lose HD signal out in the boonies, but other than that, it was always good.

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux

Without being argumentative, I think this is a difference between the receiver/amplifier and the actual signal.

There is really nothing about HD radio that should make it better than a CD (or XM or FM for that matter) unless you are listening to an actual 5.1 broadcast. The dynamic range is usually limited by the receiver, not the signal. iBiquity even admits, 'HD' does not 'mean' ANYTHING. In some cases, HD means 'hybrid digital', but it doesnt mean 'hi def'. I've heard it used as 'high density' for its ability to put more info on the same signal.

I believe that the HD radio sounded better, but that is probably because the radio was better, not the signal. I also firmly believe that PEOPLE will hear what they want to hear. If you are predisposed to like XM, you will think it sounds better than FM. If you hate satellite radio, I believe people when they say FM sounds better. That said, XM dynamically allocates bandwidth (and thus, dynamic range) allowing them to make some channels sound better than others.

I'm not an audio engineer, but I would bet that one would agree with me that if your over-the-air signal (whether digital or analog) sounded better than an IPod or CD, its more related to the source of the latter (ie, MP3 sample rate for ipod) than the superiority of the OTA signal. There just isnt any spec where radio beats the dynamic range of an equivalent media.

It all makes sense tho. With all the noise and interference that exists in a car vs a custom listening room, who wants to spend thousands of dollars to replicate every bit of sound. Thats why things like compression and encapsulation were created. With a relatively expensive MP3 device, you dont want to use up all the memory on a high sample rate when all you are doing is listening on bus or city street using cheap earbuds. You use a lower sample rate so you can store more stuff...

But, all these are great for one (or more) reasons, they provide maximum choice in format. :-)

Don't know what to tell you. I had a JVC aftermarket head unit that was about $300 or so. Not high end, but certainly not low end. I spent some time flipping between FM, FM HD, ipod, and CD (didn't have XM at the time). HD sounded about as good as CD, I couldn't really tell much difference, but I will assume a CD still sounds better. But it was noticeably better than ipod, and immensely better than FM. I know that for sure because I was able to flip back to back from identical broadcast on FM and FM HD. fwiw, near my house, which is about 40 miles or so from downtown Chicago, I would get occasional dropping of HD. As I got close, maybe 30-20 miles, it didn't drop at all. But I also get static on FM and AM near my house, and as I get closer to the city, that static goes away.

XM is not what I would call horrible. It is probably about the same as FM. I can't really tell to be honest. But even ipod or USB playback it is noticeably better.

Doesn't really matter to me so much anymore as I don't listen to radio anymore. I strictly listen to my ipod now.

jcarlilesiu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Ice SRX4 Luxury Collection +Nav +RSE - 35,000M

Quote Originally Posted by mrl859 View Post
    Ford has offered HD radio as standard with the Sync/Nav since the 2011 model year. Doesn't anyone at GM substantiate these claims???
    I was going to say the same thing.

My 2012 ford focus has it standard.

I see now... it wasn't "standard".

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Willo View Post
    HD Radio has much less listenable range than your normal FM coverage. (Unless you are in an urban asrea, it's useless..certainly not for long trips.) On AM, it's even worse. It's a "sham" gmimmick being promoted by a company called iBiquity who makes the technology broadcasters have to pay to transmit it and very few stations even offer HD. Most broadcast engineers will tell you it's a flawed technology and likely won't be around in a few years. Best to buy the car based on the vehicle itself. It's not a radio on four wheels, after all!
    I disagree.

HD radio is a digital signal, and thus does not transmit as far as analog.

When FM was introduced, many people complained about its limited range verses AM.

I do agree that its limited to urban areas, but that isn't necessarily a downfall considering millions of people live in urban areas.

AM is awesome. I can get news radio 780 from Chicago almost all the way up to Green Bay.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.