Cadillac Owners Forum banner

First Oil Change for 2012 SRX?

27K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Delta 
#1 ·
Looks like if I go by the oil life % gauge my first oil change wouldn't happen until the car has 6000 miles. I like to change oil the first time between 2500-3000 miles and 3500-4000 miles thereafter. I don't mind paying for the first oil change but what about the next oil changes, at what mileage will the dealer want to change oil? What if I want the oil changed sooner?
Bill

#3 ·
Since you have a 2012 SRX Cadillac which has free maintenance service I would not waste your money on paying for your own oil changes sooner than what GM (Cadillac's) recommended maintenance intervals are. GM's Oil Life indicator will accurately calibrate and monitor all your driving habits and conditions to estimate the proper time when your oil should be changed. If it says 6,000 miles I would go the distance and or I would wait at least until your oil percentage gets down to 20% or slightly below that and then make an appointment for an oil change.

I know .... you and I grew up being brain washed (in most cases rightfully so) into thinking we must change our oil religiously every 3,000 miles or so. However, that was back in the days when we didn't have such clean burning engines (ran rich a lot) and the poorer quality of the grades of oil back then which would get contaminated a lot quicker than they do in today's newer engines.

In today's newer and much better oil blends and along with very precise direct fuel injection delivery systems, virtually burns all the fuel there is. Thus producing very little oil contamination in today's higher quality built engines.

GM spent millions of dollars on research on this very import issue so please use the GM Oil Life System monitor as a gauge and trust in the fact that today's engines and oils are far superior and need far less frequent oil changes. Why do you think we now have 5 years and 100,000 powertrain warranty?

Today's engines will last up to 200,000+ miles easily being properly maintained. :yup:

#4 ·
The GM oil life monitor system is a joke, anyone that goes over 5k miles will have problems in the long run. I wouldnt buy a car from someone if the oil wasnt changed on a regular basis. Use the monitor if you dont plan on keeping it. Maybe thats why there are recalls on programming the ecm for the oil life monitor, they spent millions on repairs not research.

#6 · (Edited)
First of all 99ssconv sounds like many others who really don't understand what is really behind the technology of the GM Oil Life System. I posted this information back on my SSR website back in Feb of 2009 great reading!

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/info-gms-oil-life-system-ols-35695/#post1030335

I know that there has been quite a few threads pertaining to Oil Life and here is one more. I got the following information or Q&A from one off of one of our GM's websites. I believe this should help out some of our members who feel the need to continue using the 3,000 mile schedules. I too had been somewhat reluctant until I read some of these answers.

*Some great knowledge to know ...

Q&A On GM’s Oil Life System

We got a lot of feedback from our recent post about the GM Oil Life System, including a number of questions about how the system works. So we compiled some of the questions – and in a couple cases condensed a few questions into one – and asked GM’s OLS engineer Matt Snider to provide his insights. Here’s what he had to say. – Will Stewart, blog editor

Q: I agree with using the OLS, but why does the Chevy dealer put the window sticker showing the 3 MOS /3000 MILES each time I get my oil changed? Don’t their technicians know about this?

A: We work hard to promote the OLS Oil Life System technology throughout the dealer network because using it can help protect the environment and save our customers money. As a result, many dealers have wholeheartedly embraced the GM Oil Life System and are actively promoting its benefits to customers. However, dealers are independent businesses and some have chosen to continue to stick with the traditional 3,000-mile oil change interval. But you and other GM owners can change this mindset. The next time your service technician, whether at a dealer or a quick-lube establishment, hands you the “3,000 mile” sticker, tell them about the environmental benefits of the Oil Life System. Remember, if we all do our part and use the GM Oil Life System as intended, we could collectively save more than 100 million gallons of engine oil every year.

Q: I just recently purchased a new vehicle with the GM Oil Life System. Before that I owned a 13 year old car, and I was pretty careful to change the oil every 3000 miles. I now have ~3300 miles on my new car, and the OLS says I have 60% oil life remaining! My wallet is definitely happy, and if I can avoid crawling under the car to change the oil in these freezing Midwest temperatures for a while longer, I’m happy, too! One concern I have though is regarding the oil filter. If the oil filter gets clogged, or is defective, or for some reason or another isn’t performing correctly, will the OLS be able to accurately monitor the oil condition? Is it possible for my car to think it has a bunch of oil life remaining when it’s actually pumping dirty, contaminated oil through the engine? I’ll admit I don’t know much about the workings of the oil system, and this could be a non-issue. I just know that when I had my old car, the importance of changing the filter every 3000 miles was often stressed.

A: The life of engine oil and the oil filter are calculated in the calibration of the GM Oil Life System. As long as you change your oil and filter in accordance with the GM Oil Life System, the filter will not get plugged.

Q: I am a do-it-yourselfer (please rest assured that I dispose of the used oil in a legal and proper manner), and from the old school philosophy of changing oil every three thousand miles. While this is a practice that will be hard for me to break, your material here is convincing me to trust the OLS. One question I do have is “What about the initial oil change during the engine ‘break-in’ period?

A: A lot of people ask this question. However, the thought and answer behind the question are often quite different. For example, this question has been asked with respect to the break-in period of an engine on an initial oil charge with “synthetic” oil. If we had more information about your particular concern with respect to breaking in an engine, we might be able to provide a better answer. I can tell you that we analyze used oil samples from hundreds of vehicles every year and many of these samples are from an engine’s first oil change after following the Oil Life System. I also can tell you that our engines “break in” just fine by changing the oil according to the Oil Life System, and the oil is always in good shape.

Q: Why is it that people in the USA seem to think that oil needs to be changed in 3.000 mile intervals where in Europe oil-change intervals of 12.500 to 18.500 miles are a common thing? Do people in the USA use salad oil or something equally bad in their engines?

A: One common myth is that engine oils in Europe are superior to engine oils in the U.S. This, like the 3,000-mile oil change interval, may have been true decades ago, but it is absolutely false today. The OEMs have worked hard with the oil and additive industry to vastly improve the quality of engine oils on the market. Partly because of these advancements in engine oils, GM can safely offer extended oil drain intervals to its customers through the use of the Oil Life System. In fact, many customers with vehicles equipped with the GM Oil Life System will regularly achieve oil drain intervals in the 12,500-mile range or further. I think much of the adherence to the 3,000-mile oil drain interval in the U.S. is because that is what folks are used to doing. That’s why we are trying to get out our message with respect to the GM Oil Life System. This simple technology can protect the investment customers have in their vehicles by safely extending oil drain intervals.

Q: So at what percentage am I to change my oil based on this system? 50 percent oil life? Zero percent oil life?

A: As the Oil Life System approaches 0% oil life remaining, some vehicles will display a “change oil” message, while other vehicles will display a “change oil” light. When this message or light comes on, you should change your engine oil within the next two fuel fill-ups.

• Oil quality has immensely improved since those days of mandatory oil changes every 3,000 miles or less.
With the advent of synthetic oil and the increased lubricity characteristics of said oil, we can now enjoy less frequent and sometimes costly oil changes.
Sensors within the crankcase can analyze the lubricity and cleanliness of oil many times a second while you drive.
This, combined with increased oil capacity, provides a cooler, cleaner and more efficient running engine.

One of the “secrets’ that European manufactures have used for many years has been the large oil capacities in their vehicles, hence longer oil change intervals and longer running engines.

Mercedes Benz has been utilizing 8-10 quart capacity for many years, thereby prolonging engine life well into the 200,000 mile range.
Synthetic oil has also been proven to add approximately 5 horsepower, depending on application due to increased lubricity and less breakdown associated with petroleum based oils.

Let technology work and enjoy the savings!

Does the oil life system work or synthetic oil? I know that the synthetics are typically darker to begin with so is it possible that the synthetics may cause the oil life system to run down faster than appropriate?

Great, science-based message. When confronted with old-school believers in the 3,000 mile rule, many of whom will say “that’s fine if you intend to trade your vehicle in every couple of years, but I want mine to last for 150,000 miles”, I offer……………..”If we took 2 vehicles with equal driving exposure and changed the oil in one of them every 3,000 miles and followed the Oil Life System recommendation in the other, then tore the engines down at 150,000 miles, you would not be able to see a difference in the wear or appearance of the components.

Synthetic oils were extensively researched by GM in the mid 1980’s.
An exhaustive study indicated that Mobil 1, which was the most popular synthetic oil available at that time, enabled the development engineers to actually raise their horsepower figures for the L98 5.7 engine by 5 horsepower.

The study researched all American oils, both petroleum and synthetic.
It was a hard sell to the Racing Circuit, who still believed in petroleum based, high detergent oils though!

Funny how old habits die hard!

#9 ·
First of all 99ssconv sounds like many others who really don't understand what is really behind the technology of the GM Oil Life System. I posted this information back on my SSR website back in Feb of 2009 great reading!

Yeah, I suppose your right. My 23 years experience with GM as a world class technician probably means nothing. Not to mention the 500 plus hours of training I have done at GM. Published articles are exactly that, real world issues are what I see on a regular basis. I noticed you have a two seater Trailblazer. Look at your cooling fan shroud, its attached to the radiator with ZIP ties.

#13 ·
Just a comment to 99ssconv;
I appreciate your comments and give them a lot of weight. I've always thought if you want to know how to dig a ditch you ask the guy down in the ditch with a shovel doing the digging. Engineers would be much better off if they would ask those of you who work on cars how to fix or improve the cars. I also thank you for taking time to post on the forum after you've worked on them all day.
Bill
Yeah I'm the one in the ditch, anytime.

#5 ·
I appreciate the comments and it is true that a lot of my oil changing habits were formed from past necessity and that today's engines run cleaner and we do have better oil. That said I'll probably change the oil the first time at 3000 miles with a Blackstone Labs test, http://www.blackstone-labs.com I'll monitor the oil and the oil life % gauge and see what it looks like at 4000-5000 miles. I won't go over 5000 miles on an oil change no matter what the life gauge says. Sometimes old habits are hard to break, however I bet I wouldn't have engine problems either.
Bill

#7 ·
Marc, thanks for a great thread about oil, improvements and OLS. Before I retired I was a CEO of an operation with a large fleet of vehicles which were in emergency service and had to run when the key turned. Keeping vehicles maintained was of great importance not only to keep vehicles running but to keep them running for long periods of time. We used synthetic lubricants in all areas of vehicle maintenance and found synthetics provided a longer vehicle life. Instead of doing engine and transmission rebuilds at 75K miles we were able to go the life of the vehicle or 100-125K miles. It's much cheaper to do proper maintenance than to rebuild or replace and engine or depending on it age at time of engine failure an entire vehicle. Advancement in oil and the chemical packs in oil has gone a long way towards engines making 200K miles or more with relatively no problems. Better oil and much cleaner burning engines sure make our new X's that much nicer to own and drive.
Bill

#8 ·
I changed mine myself at 1K miles. It was nice to get under the car and see all the details that go into it. I also found a leak that looks very slow and might be from casting porosity. I didn't reset my monitor so I will plan to have the balance of the service complete per the monitor. I will also see if there is any oil leaking when the dealer does the first service.

#11 ·
Not to over kill our members with too much info here but I remembered reading a great article that was on AOL a long while ago and I found it again. I thought I would repost this very informative article made back in Feb 2008.

http://autos.aol.com/article/gmols/

Is the 3,000-Mile Oil Change a Thing of the Past?

Posted: Feb 14, 2008

A few months ago I wrote and recorded a car care tip that aired on XM Satellite Radio. To the best of my recollection, the tip was an answer to a question addressed to me from a listener in California. She wanted to know why her vehicle's 'oil light' was telling her to change the oil in her new Chevy Trailblazer (having changed it just 1500 miles previously). I advised her to ignore the light because that system (GM's Oil Life System) only counted engine RPMs since the last oil change, and therefore was reading inaccurately. I advised her to follow the 3,000 miles (severe service) schedule and have the vehicle checked under warranty, after which all would be fine. That tip was heard in Milford, MI and prompted a letter from an engineer in GM's PowerTrain Division, exhorting me to conduct a bit more research about GM's Oil Life System. He informed me that I was correct in my statement that the system monitored engine speed, but that there was much more to the system than I realized.

Curiosity got the best of me, and I accepted his invitation to discuss the matter. I contacted Tom Read of GM's PR Department for GM's PowerTrain Division. That phone call led to a conference call with four GM engineers, two from GM Parts & Service Division and two from GM's PowerTrain Division. Their goal? To convince me that GM's Oil Life System (GMOLS) has changed things drastically regarding conventional oil change philosophy. I took the challenge rather aggressively ... as they did.

I began my 'attack' by pointing out that the GMOLS only monitored engine RPM since the last oil change (providing the system had been reset when the oil change was done). I asserted that there was much more to take into consideration when determining oil life and quality. Conditions such as engine temperature, load, and ambient temperature had to be taken into consideration. I went on to state that these factors could adversely effect the life of the oil. For instance, load from towing could raise engine temperatures to the level that the oil would break down. Or ambient temperature could effect the performance system by causing a richer fuel to be delivered, contaminating the crankcase and resulting in oil breakdown. The engineers politely agreed, and then they proceeded to enlighten me.

They pointed out that I repeatedly used the term 'viscosity breakdown,' and that I must understand that this term has a two-fold meaning. Before the breakdown of the oil occurs, it actually thickens! To draw an analogy ... oil is much like the value of your new car. The moment you drive it off the lot, it begins losing value. As soon as fresh oil begins circulating through a vehicle's system, it loses value. How, you ask? Chemical packages start breaking down immediately when introduced to the harsh environment of the engine. So, hypothetically, you could find yourself six weeks after an oil change and suddenly the oil becomes thicker, resulting in hampered flow (viscosity or flow-ability breakdown) within the engine. This results in increased friction (heat) and thus shorter engine life (and the condition is multiplied dramatically when outside temperatures drop below 35 degrees). Sometime after this occurs, oil breakdown takes place, meaning the oil loses its ability to lubricate. This breakdown differs with each vehicle because engine demands vary, depending on driving habits and vehicle use. The key to maintaining oil stability is to keep the oil temperature at 200 degrees consistently. Oil life is maximized under these conditions. Highway driving exemplifies this type of operating condition.

While consulting with the GM engineers, I discovered that GM takes into consideration more than just engine RPMs with the GMOLS. Below is a brief history of the system and how GMOLS works (taken from GM's website).

The GMOLS Offers Significant Benefits

"First introduced in 1988, the GMOLS is a computer-based algorithm that determines when to change oil and filter based on engine operating conditions (this is the key to accuracy). The system enables owners to maximize the performance of their vehicle engine oil by sensing engine speed (not RPMs, but actual engine revolutions) and temperature. There is no actual oil condition sensor. Rather, the computer continuously monitors engine-operating conditions to determine when to change oil." "With the GMOLS, consumers have an accurate and reliable way to monitor engine oil life. When the system is activated, consumers can go to their nearest GM Goodwrench dealer and a technician will change the oil and filter, properly dispose of the old oil, then reset the vehicle's oil life system. Overall operating costs for the customer will be lower, because they only have to change the oil when needed, and they can be reassured that their engine is always running with good oil, improving the long term performance and reliability of their GM vehicle."

"Use of the GMOLS will often double or even triple the oil change interval for a typical vehicle when compared to the 3,000-mile oil change. "

"The GMOLS will automatically adjust the oil change interval based on engine characteristics, driving habits and the climate in which the vehicle is operated. For instance, mild highway driving in a warm climate will maximize the interval between oil changes. Depending on the vehicle, this could be in excess of 7,000 miles and as high as 12,000 miles (in some models). On the other hand, short trip driving in a cold climate may limit the oil change to 3,000 miles or less. In general, most people that drive a combination of city and highway find that the GMOLS will indicate an oil change every 5,000 to 6,000 miles. GM data shows the OLS extends oil change intervals without risks to the engine."

(And for the Militant Tree Huggers and Energy Conservationists)

The GMOLS can offer significant benefits to the environment by reducing unnecessary use and disposal of oil. GM has built more than 20 million vehicles to date with the GMOLS. In the next five years, if the GMOLS is used as intended - oil changes performed only when necessary - millions of gallons of oil could be saved."

(Oil conservation and a cleaner environment?! Is everybody happy?!)

GM has so much faith in the OLF system (based on countless individual tests performed by engineers) that they have issued a new "Simplified maintenance Schedule." It goes like this:

"The new GM simplified maintenance schedules are performed in two phases. The first phase, 'Maintenance I,' includes basic services such as an oil and filter change, lubrication of chassis components, tire rotation and inspection of the brake system and fluids. The second phase, 'Maintenance II,' includes all services included in Maintenance , as well as inspections on the steering system, wiper blades, restraint systems and lubrication of body components. "Customers don't have to worry about deciding when the best time is to change their engine oil because our Oil Life System technology adapts to their driving conditions and habits, and determines the right interval," said Peter Lord, executive director, GM Service Operations. "Since the new maintenance schedule is based on oil change intervals determined by this technology, customers can save time and cost."

My conference call lasted one hour and fifteen minutes. The engineers were passionate in their arguments. These experts are committed to getting the message out there with respect to oil changes. The information they shared was compelling, to say the least. The conversion was complete ... I am a believer. Everything they stated was consistent with my knowledge of the internal combustion engine. GM has invested millions of dollars in research and development and exposed themselves to potential warranty claims ... they've put it all on the line with this innovative approach to timely oil changes. That says a lot. A wise person is one that admits they can always learn something, and I learned something from GM that day ...

'Til next time ... Keep Rollin'

#15 ·
Marc, sounds like the world class engineers at GM have put a lot of thought and money into this system. It is hard to break old habits. I still can't force myself to go 10,000, but have learned to live with 5,000 mile oil changes. Perhaps if I live long enough, this old dog will learn a new tricdk and go with what the oil life monitor system says.

#16 ·
Years ago (late 80s, I'd bet) I called Mobil about M1 change intervals. They said to double the change interval. They said the oil would 'not break down', but that after so long, it would just get too dirty. He said depending on where I was, it might need a filter change half way through.
On my 04 trailblazer (I6), I think it had 7 qts in it, but it would routinely go 11k miles before the OLS said to change. At that point, it was going on a year, so it probably was due anyway.
We talked about this last night at a happy hour; cars just arent the same as before. HEI systems were rumored to eat up spark plugs faster, but even now, plugs last 100k miles. GM backs the OLS with their warranty, and thats the commitment I want. Its hard to even think back to plugs and points and 3k oil changes, but I sure like what the technology has done for us...

#17 ·
I had a 2004 Chevy Colorado I-5 engine. The first oilchange came at 8,500 miles, dealership changed using conventional motor oil. Next oil change occurred at another 8,500 miles. Got 2 free changes. I then changed my own using Mobil 1 synthetic, the oil change went 15,000 miles. The oil change system could tell the difference between synthetic and conventional motor oil due to readings the computer takes. After that Mobil 1 would go 15,000 miles between oil changes for 230,000 miles. Sold truck to friend and still running great. I do alot of highway miles, reason for long interval between changes. The oil change system works and using synthetic oil is far superior to conventional.

#24 ·
A vehicles ecm has NO way to tell if you're using synthetic or conventional...

I understand that the SRX's use Mobile One Synthetic. If you read in your manual and on the bottle it will give you a crazy high mileage per oil change. I used to drive a Hyundai Elantra and used Mobile One Synthethic for all 110,000 miles, and my mom now drives it and does the same. I changed the oil every 6,000 miles. I once made it to 9,000 miles (because I forgot) and the oil was good just dirty. No engine or transmission problems on that car. If you are using traditional motor oil, I understand the 3000 miles, but synthetic goes much farther. However, this is my first time time with the oil change monitor (2012 SRX) and I'm at 5,000 miles and 35% oil life.

I'd also like to note that my dad is a mechanic, GM and Hyundai certified, works on diesel trucks, 18 wheeler's ect and with 40 years of experience. Therefore, I trust and value his opinion and experience.
The new oil they use in the SRX's is Dexos, a synthetic BLEND. They dont use Mobile 1 synthetic.

And, how do you know the oil "was still good, just dirty"? How did you measure the additives that were left? Just sayin...

#20 ·
frankrizzo135 said:
This is an article in today's newspaper titled " Resist the 3,000- mile Urge". It tells you that there is a campaign in California to change your oil according to the manufacters specifications and stop wasting time and money on early oil changes. It suggests to look up the information on http://www.checkyournumber.org/ .
Good sentiment, bad reference. That site just told me to change my STS oil every 3000 miles, which is wrong. Refer to your manual, currently available at http://www.cadillac.com/owners/auto-owners-manuals.html (they keep moving them around on-line, but by this time they should always be on-line somewhere).

#22 ·
I understand that the SRX's use Mobile One Synthetic. If you read in your manual and on the bottle it will give you a crazy high mileage per oil change. I used to drive a Hyundai Elantra and used Mobile One Synthethic for all 110,000 miles, and my mom now drives it and does the same. I changed the oil every 6,000 miles. I once made it to 9,000 miles (because I forgot) and the oil was good just dirty. No engine or transmission problems on that car. If you are using traditional motor oil, I understand the 3000 miles, but synthetic goes much farther. However, this is my first time time with the oil change monitor (2012 SRX) and I'm at 5,000 miles and 35% oil life.

I'd also like to note that my dad is a mechanic, GM and Hyundai certified, works on diesel trucks, 18 wheeler's ect and with 40 years of experience. Therefore, I trust and value his opinion and experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.