First Oil Change for 2012 SRX? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, First Oil Change for 2012 SRX? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Years ago (late 80s, I'd bet) I called Mobil about M1 change intervals. They said to double the change interval. ...
    Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux

Re: First Oil Change for 2012 SRX?

Years ago (late 80s, I'd bet) I called Mobil about M1 change intervals. They said to double the change interval. They said the oil would 'not break down', but that after so long, it would just get too dirty. He said depending on where I was, it might need a filter change half way through.
    On my 04 trailblazer (I6), I think it had 7 qts in it, but it would routinely go 11k miles before the OLS said to change. At that point, it was going on a year, so it probably was due anyway.
    We talked about this last night at a happy hour; cars just arent the same as before. HEI systems were rumored to eat up spark plugs faster, but even now, plugs last 100k miles. GM backs the OLS with their warranty, and thats the commitment I want. Its hard to even think back to plugs and points and 3k oil changes, but I sure like what the technology has done for us...

Bejay is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX AWD Luxury

I had a 2004 Chevy Colorado I-5 engine. The first oilchange came at 8,500 miles, dealership changed using conventional motor oil. Next oil change occurred at another 8,500 miles. Got 2 free changes. I then changed my own using Mobil 1 synthetic, the oil change went 15,000 miles. The oil change system could tell the difference between synthetic and conventional motor oil due to readings the computer takes. After that Mobil 1 would go 15,000 miles between oil changes for 230,000 miles. Sold truck to friend and still running great. I do alot of highway miles, reason for long interval between changes. The oil change system works and using synthetic oil is far superior to conventional.

Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

Good post Bejay. I will have to say that in 30 plus years of owning GM vehicles, that I have never had any engine problems relating to the oil. Change it regularly, whatever that is nowdays, use a good quality oil and filter, and you won't have any problems.

frankrizzo135 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance
    This is an article in today's newspaper titled " Resist the 3,000- mile Urge". It tells you that there is a campaign in California to change your oil according to the manufacters specifications and stop wasting time and money on early oil changes. It suggests to look up the information on http://www.checkyournumber.org/ .

MacMuse is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS N* 1SE
    Quote Originally Posted by frankrizzo135
    This is an article in today's newspaper titled " Resist the 3,000- mile Urge". It tells you that there is a campaign in California to change your oil according to the manufacters specifications and stop wasting time and money on early oil changes. It suggests to look up the information on http://www.checkyournumber.org/ .
    Good sentiment, bad reference. That site just told me to change my STS oil every 3000 miles, which is wrong. Refer to your manual, currently available at http://www.cadillac.com/owners/auto-owners-manuals.html (they keep moving them around on-line, but by this time they should always be on-line somewhere).

frankrizzo135 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance

Just for kicks you should use the " contact us " at the bottom of the site and ask them about the figure.

iampinkandorange is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX Performance

I understand that the SRX's use Mobile One Synthetic. If you read in your manual and on the bottle it will give you a crazy high mileage per oil change. I used to drive a Hyundai Elantra and used Mobile One Synthethic for all 110,000 miles, and my mom now drives it and does the same. I changed the oil every 6,000 miles. I once made it to 9,000 miles (because I forgot) and the oil was good just dirty. No engine or transmission problems on that car. If you are using traditional motor oil, I understand the 3000 miles, but synthetic goes much farther. However, this is my first time time with the oil change monitor (2012 SRX) and I'm at 5,000 miles and 35% oil life.

I'd also like to note that my dad is a mechanic, GM and Hyundai certified, works on diesel trucks, 18 wheeler's ect and with 40 years of experience. Therefore, I trust and value his opinion and experience.

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Good advice!

Here is another article about the 3,000 mile myth.

Oil Change Education
    California spreading word that the 3,000 mile oil change is a thing of the past
    Posted: Dec 20, 2011

http://autos.aol.com/article/oil-cha...6pLid%3D121738
    Attached Images

Delta is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Some kind of CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Bejay View Post
    I had a 2004 Chevy Colorado I-5 engine. The first oilchange came at 8,500 miles, dealership changed using conventional motor oil. Next oil change occurred at another 8,500 miles. Got 2 free changes. I then changed my own using Mobil 1 synthetic, the oil change went 15,000 miles. The oil change system could tell the difference between synthetic and conventional motor oil due to readings the computer takes. After that Mobil 1 would go 15,000 miles between oil changes for 230,000 miles. Sold truck to friend and still running great. I do alot of highway miles, reason for long interval between changes. The oil change system works and using synthetic oil is far superior to conventional.
    A vehicles ecm has NO way to tell if you're using synthetic or conventional...

Quote Originally Posted by iampinkandorange View Post
    I understand that the SRX's use Mobile One Synthetic. If you read in your manual and on the bottle it will give you a crazy high mileage per oil change. I used to drive a Hyundai Elantra and used Mobile One Synthethic for all 110,000 miles, and my mom now drives it and does the same. I changed the oil every 6,000 miles. I once made it to 9,000 miles (because I forgot) and the oil was good just dirty. No engine or transmission problems on that car. If you are using traditional motor oil, I understand the 3000 miles, but synthetic goes much farther. However, this is my first time time with the oil change monitor (2012 SRX) and I'm at 5,000 miles and 35% oil life.

I'd also like to note that my dad is a mechanic, GM and Hyundai certified, works on diesel trucks, 18 wheeler's ect and with 40 years of experience. Therefore, I trust and value his opinion and experience.
    The new oil they use in the SRX's is Dexos, a synthetic BLEND. They dont use Mobile 1 synthetic.

And, how do you know the oil "was still good, just dirty"? How did you measure the additives that were left? Just sayin...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.