New Rattle - 2011 Luxury
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, New Rattle - 2011 Luxury in Cadillac SRX Forums; I have had a 2011 SRX luxury model on lease for approx. one year. About two months ago I started ...
    etexlady is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 Luxury SRX Crystal Red Tintcoat

New Rattle - 2011 Luxury

I have had a 2011 SRX luxury model on lease for approx. one year. About two months ago I started hearing a little rattle which seemed to be toward the the back of the car. I checked to be sure there was not some item in the trunk that was not secured and all was fine. Nothing in terms of trim, tailpipes, gas lid, etc. seems to be loose. I hear the noise usually if I hit a rough spot in the road or on my city's brick streets and occasionally on smooth roads. I can't describe the noise, it's not a "clunk", it's not very loud and the noise seems to happen only once at a time as opposed to continuously. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Re: New Rattle - 2011 Luxury

Sorry no. But I can add that this is typical of American cars.

Greg Franklin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX

Exhaust pipe? Check clearances.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

A trip to the dealer may be in order etexlady. Describe to them how and when you hear the sound, and about where its coming from, and they can have it repaired for free!
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

mm9351 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX AWD LUXURY

I have the same model and year, and interestingly enough, I also experienced the same noise. I traced the problem to the cargo fence U-Rail system. Just move the rail to a different location on the rail where it sets up more securely, and be sure to lock down the securing knobs. You probably moved it a some point to accomodate a large package, and didn't re-secure the rails. I find the best location to stow the rail is approx. 3" from the rear seat. Problem solved! Let me know how this works for you.

Thanks for the replies. I've been busy and am just now getting back to read them. Greg, I thought about the exhaust pipe first thing but they seem to be very secure and do not "wiggle" at all. The license plate is secure. I'll have to doublecheck the cargo fence system. I took it off the track a week or so ago to accomodate a large box. I can't recall if I set it back up again or not. Come to think of it, I have not heard the noise for the last few days so maybe it is related to the cargo system. Thanks for that idea. I'll let you know the outcome.

Just an update. The cargo fence was was not the source of the rattle as I never put it back in place after taking it down to transport a large box. I had not heard the noise for several days but heard it again today. I guess a trip to the dealer is in my future.

Bejay is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX AWD Luxury

This may sound crazy, however I have heard others say this and the conclusion was gas in the gas tank. The way the tank is the gas will move and make a clunk sound. I have heard it on mine once in awhile in the short time I've owned it. May depend on how much gas is in the tank to get the "clunk".

Grizz262 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX LUX

I had the gas tank thumping, abd that has been fixed with the new tank install. However, this sounds like the other rattle I had a problem with, and that is the tailgate rubbing against the contact pads where it closes. Try putting some petroleum jelly on the pads and see if that doesn't quiet it down. One other place to look is if you have any objects in the rear seat arm-rest. That one drove me nuts for a few days.

Trippy is offline Banned

Be sure to check that you have your rear seat belt holders securing your seat belts. If you leave them off the belts, they will flop around and hit the plastic parts and make noise.

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

check the side impact airbag right behind the drivers side in the drivers side rear passeger section uptop by the window.

Help! The dreaded squeak in my rear compartment is back. I stripped out the cargo fence, pull shade system, checked everything behind the carpeted panels, even in the wheel wells. Going to try the petroleum jelly on the pads...driving me nuts here too!

Denny41 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX-AWD. 2012 SRX Performance AWD

I have the occasional rear compartment squeak in my 2012 and I believe it is in the attachment point in the pull shade system, on the passenger side. The squeak is very sporadic and if I remove the shade from its stationary position the occasional squeak is gone. When I put the shade back in place the squeak comes back. Not very scientific but......

Thanks to all for the ideas...unfortunately nothing seems to work. Maybe a trip to the service dept. is in order?

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

I had the most annoying rattle coming from the rear of the car almost since I took delivery. I only heard it when going over bumps. My service dept. has been more than accommodating. They tried everything you could imagine, stuffing insulation everyone. I kept waiting and eventually expecting them to say, "Look, we've done all that we can. You're just going to have to live with it." Kudos to them! They never did. I spent months crawling around the passenger compartment, cargo area and even underneath the car, all to no avail. The noise was definitely coming from the rear of the car, but it sounded like it was on the exterior of the vehicle. After over two years of frustration, this thread prompted me to take another look. So here I go again, with my trusty little flashlight, crawling around tapping everything I could think of to find the rattle. I finally found it. Would you believe it turned out to be the license plate rattling within its metal frame. There's a rubber strip mounted on the car under the plate to stop the plate itself from rattling against the rear hatch, but this does nothing to prevent the plate from rattling within the frame. After mounting foam tape along the entire inner perimeter of the plate frame, viola, no more rattles. What makes the whole thing so bad is that I was the one who installed the stupid frame in the first place. The dealer had nothing to do with it. As you could imagine, I wanted to kick myself!!!

Sube

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.