New Rattle - 2011 Luxury - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, New Rattle - 2011 Luxury in Cadillac SRX Forums; Well, it seems I spoke too soon. The license plate frame was only "part" of the problem. The rattling is ...
    sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Re: New Rattle - 2011 Luxury

Well, it seems I spoke too soon. The license plate frame was only "part" of the problem. The rattling is much better, but still present and emanating from a different area. Looks like the dealer will be doing some more investigating during my next service visit.

Sube

mm9351 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX AWD LUXURY

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    Well, it seems I spoke too soon. The license plate frame was only "part" of the problem. The rattling is much better, but still present and emanating from a different area. Looks like the dealer will be doing some more investigating during my next service visit.

Sube
    Please let us know the outcome of your visit; thanks and good luck!

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by mm9351 View Post
    Please let us know the outcome of your visit; thanks and good luck!
    Will do. But I won't be taking it in for awhile. I refuse to endure the inconvenience of making the trip to the dealer and getting a loaner for a rattle. I'll get it checked the next time I'm in for something else.

Sube

embassy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04CTS, 07STS,10 SRX,Now 13 SRX Premium and 13 ATS Premium

I am probably the rattle expert on here. For all but one of my 15 trips to the dealer, a loud annoying rattle has been included on my list of things to be fixed. Some have already been mentioned, but to summarize things to look at:

1. Loose roof liner clips. Either loose or you may find one or two actually pulled out. All of mine had to be replaced as the original ones kept coming loose or popping out when going around corners or over bumps.

2. The rear license plate frame is a source of rattle. I felt quite stupid about that one, but the service advisor thought that the design was not great and hadn't thought of it himself.

3. In the spare tire storage area are a couple of "black boxes". Not sure what they do, but the bolts holding them in place can come loose and cause them to rattle.

4. The plastic pass through divider behind the rear seat armrest. This has come loose twice on mine.

5. The actual rear seat armrest has come loose on mine.

6. The rear door window channels - both have vibrated loose on my vehicle and had to be re-tightened.

7. Cargo rail hold downs. (Proud that I found this one myself and fixed them).

8. Gas tank issue.

9. The side impact airbag right behind the drivers side. This can occur by itself or in tandem with rattling roof liner clips.

10. Loose front seat (not bolted properly down).

I have found that in the SRX it is very tough to find the source of the noise. What you think is coming from the rear can actually be coming from say the passenger side.

mm9351 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX AWD LUXURY

Quote Originally Posted by embassy View Post
    I am probably the rattle expert on here. For all but one of my 15 trips to the dealer, a loud annoying rattle has been included on my list of things to be fixed. Some have already been mentioned, but to summarize things to look at:

1. Loose roof liner clips. Either loose or you may find one or two actually pulled out. All of mine had to be replaced as the original ones kept coming loose or popping out when going around corners or over bumps.

2. The rear license plate frame is a source of rattle. I felt quite stupid about that one, but the service advisor thought that the design was not great and hadn't thought of it himself.

3. In the spare tire storage area are a couple of "black boxes". Not sure what they do, but the bolts holding them in place can come loose and cause them to rattle.

4. The plastic pass through divider behind the rear seat armrest. This has come loose twice on mine.

5. The actual rear seat armrest has come loose on mine.

6. The rear door window channels - both have vibrated loose on my vehicle and had to be re-tightened.

7. Cargo rail hold downs. (Proud that I found this one myself and fixed them).

8. Gas tank issue.

9. The side impact airbag right behind the drivers side. This can occur by itself or in tandem with rattling roof liner clips.

10. Loose front seat (not bolted properly down).

I have found that in the SRX it is very tough to find the source of the noise. What you think is coming from the rear can actually be coming from say the passenger side.
    Thanks embassy for the comprehensive review for potential sources of sqeaks / rattles/ etc. Can you provide additional details on # 6 and #9. The noise on my SRX appears to be coming from that location, but I'm not sure what to look for. Did you peform the repairs on both, or did the dealer intervene? I've already investigated / was aware of most others. I must admit, that plastic panel pass thru / latch in the rear seat armrest, item #4, is sub-par from a quality standpoint. How did you repair that (aside from removal?)

Thanks in advance for your reply!

embassy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04CTS, 07STS,10 SRX,Now 13 SRX Premium and 13 ATS Premium

Quote Originally Posted by mm9351 View Post
    Thanks embassy for the comprehensive review for potential sources of sqeaks / rattles/ etc. Can you provide additional details on # 6 and #9. The noise on my SRX appears to be coming from that location, but I'm not sure what to look for. Did you peform the repairs on both, or did the dealer intervene? I've already investigated / was aware of most others. I must admit, that plastic panel pass thru / latch in the rear seat armrest, item #4, is sub-par from a quality standpoint. How did you repair that (aside from removal?)

Thanks in advance for your reply!
    All my rattles have been looked after by the dealer under warranty. If GM is going to give me a warranty and they don't take care to ensure that the quality is there, then they can fix it and pay for it.

The right rear window channel was a real bear to troubleshoot. The rattle actually sounded like it was coming from just behind the drivers seat. It wasn't until I had my wife sit in the backseat that we were able to determine that it was coming from the right rear door. Even with her sitting beside it, she thought that is was coming from behind her. Dealer fixed it under warranty - if I remember the N/C invoice it was something like 1.8 hours to diagnose and another 1.2 to fix.

The side impact airbag on the B pillar on the drivers side was also another bear to troubleshoot. It has rattled on and off since I hit about 1000 km, but with all the rattling coming from the loose roof liner, it was not until the roof liner was fixed that this one could be tracked down. It sounds like metal on metal, but is not constant. It was particularly annoying when the temperature was colder and would go away when the inside of the vehicle heated up or the outside air temperature got above 10C. The dealer basically put some sort of insulation in the void around the air bag and it has been good every since. There was a post on this forum a while back by someone who actually took some pictures with the weather stripping pulled away around the B pillar. They had the same problem.

I don't actually know what the dealer did to fix the plastic pass through coming loose. I am concerned that this will happen again.

westham is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

I took my 2010 Lux to the dealer today due to the rattle/squeak coming from the passenger side rear of the car, I figured it belonged to the replacement fuel filler pipe installed yesterday as the first time I had heard it when I drove away from the dealership yesterday.
    I took the tec for a quick ride around the block and he agreed there was a noise which was loudest between 30 and 40 mph, he said it was not coming from the filler pipe he fitted yesterday but coming from the back seat, I have made an appointment for the car to return to the dealership tomorrow to try and get this annoying rattle/squeak taken care of. Hope they can solve it.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hello westham,

Please keep us informed on your dealership visit. I do hope the issue will be quickly resolved for you. Let us know at any time if further assistance is needed!

Jessica (assisting Laura)
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by westham View Post
    I took my 2010 Lux to the dealer today due to the rattle/squeak coming from the passenger side rear of the car, I figured it belonged to the replacement fuel filler pipe installed yesterday as the first time I had heard it when I drove away from the dealership yesterday.
    I took the tec for a quick ride around the block and he agreed there was a noise which was loudest between 30 and 40 mph, he said it was not coming from the filler pipe he fitted yesterday but coming from the back seat, I have made an appointment for the car to return to the dealership tomorrow to try and get this annoying rattle/squeak taken care of. Hope they can solve it.

retcad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

I find that many rattles/squeaks often disappear of their own volition. If you live in a cold climate, you may notice these annoyances due to the natural expansion and contraction of metal, hinges, rubber, etc. If it's something major that goes on for several days and is bothersome, by all means have it checked. Trips to the dealer are also time consuming and annoying. Often, in an effort to correct a problem, another is created. In the long run, taking a 'wait and see' on the small stuff often works out for the best. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by retcad View Post
    I find that many rattles/squeaks often disappear of their own volition. If you live in a cold climate, you may notice these annoyances due to the natural expansion and contraction of metal, hinges, rubber, etc. If it's something major that goes on for several days and is bothersome, by all means have it checked. Trips to the dealer are also time consuming and annoying. Often, in an effort to correct a problem, another is created. In the long run, taking a 'wait and see' on the small stuff often works out for the best. Good luck!
    Hi retcad,
    Thanks for your advice, yes sometimes these rattles do come and go, my SRX has been at the dealers for the past 6 hours and no call to come and pick it up yet, they did give me a 2013 SRX loaner with 1,270 miles on it and more bells and whistles than my 2010 has got so I can't say that I'm put out at all !!

Well all is now well, The dealer discovered what and where the rattle/squeak was coming from and fixed it, it was coming from the rear seat frame assembly which was loose (bolts) they partially removed the seat to re secure properly. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by westham View Post
    Well all is now well, The dealer discovered what and where the rattle/squeak was coming from and fixed it, it was coming from the rear seat frame assembly which was loose (bolts) they partially removed the seat to re secure properly. :-)
    Hi westham,

Thank you for keeping the thread updated on your situation. I am glad your dealer was able to locate the rattle/squeak and was able to resolve this concern for you. Enjoy driving your SRX around! If additional questions arise, don't hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

dmurphy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 Evolution Green Luxury SRX (Shale/Brownstone Interior)

It's not a rattle, per se, but I'm finding that the adjustable cargo fence makes some weird clunks when I hit a bump. I've taken it down and stowed under the cargo compartment lid for now. At least I think it's the fence.

I do also agree that the plastic pass-thru door is cheap cheap cheap! By far the flimsiest part of the interior.

Quote Originally Posted by dmurphy View Post
    It's not a rattle, per se, but I'm finding that the adjustable cargo fence makes some weird clunks when I hit a bump. I've taken it down and stowed under the cargo compartment lid for now. At least I think it's the fence.

I do also agree that the plastic pass-thru door is cheap cheap cheap! By far the flimsiest part of the interior.
    Hello dmurphy,

Have you experienced this clunking noise after you have stowed the adjustable cargo fence? If you would like any assistance working with a dealership to look into this concern, I would be more than happy to assist. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me via private message if you would like to further discuss your concern.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

dmurphy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 Evolution Green Luxury SRX (Shale/Brownstone Interior)

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello dmurphy,

Have you experienced this clunking noise after you have stowed the adjustable cargo fence? If you would like any assistance working with a dealership to look into this concern, I would be more than happy to assist. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me via private message if you would like to further discuss your concern.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    Not a worry; I've been traveling for work since I stored the fence so I can't tell you if it's still happening or not. If it is, I'll have the dealer address it when it goes in for its first oil change - not worth the time to make a separate trip 'just' for that. Thanks!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.