Cadillac Owners Forum banner

TPMS Re-Learing Tool

18K views 69 replies 20 participants last post by  KRDCAD 
#1 ·
I understand that when you rotate your tires that it becomes necessary to match the tire pressure sensors to the TPMS and that a special tool is needed. Where can I purchase a DIY style TPMS re-learning tool for a 2012 SRX?

#44 ·
If you rotate your tires and want the display to show the appropriate wheel, then yes you need the tool for the vehicle to relearn the new positions.

#48 ·
I just removed the snows and replaced the OEM tires and wheels. I was under the assumption the TPMS would automatically re-read the sensors even if in the wrong location. Nothing so far.

Any more recent info as to when in the 2011 model year GM changed the TPMS sensor to one requiring a tool?

jack vines

#51 ·
Just buy the tool. It's $80. And it works with all new GM vehicles. And supposedly Nissan, which I plan to try soon.

It's only a matter of time before these tools cost less than $20. Look at OBDII adapters. They used to cost over $100 for a simple serial cable to connect to your computer. Now you can get a bluetooth adapter for $15 shipped.

#52 ·
What's that statement, "Just buy the tool."? Vendors absolutely love people like you. Never question anything, just fork over the money. If the 2010 is able to deal with TPMS without a tool, the ONLY reason I can see for the tool is yet another way for a vendor to price gouge the customer.

It may be "only" $80. But, in the end these things all add up. How did you come to this in your life that it's "only $80" ?

I should start a company and hope all my customers are just like you.

#58 ·
The purpose for changing the TPMS relearn procedure was to prevent errant signals from a nearby vehicle, that was also in a simultaneous relearn procedure, possibly being learned by the wrong vehicle.
There's that too. The range on these sensors is ridiculous. I swapped wheels once, and went for a drive before I did the relearn. I was almost 5 miles from the wheels that were still paired when I restarted the car. It was still reading them. There are alot of cars in a 5 miles radius. And the odds are there that two people could potentially be repairing at the same time.

#61 ·
I would say there is a lag of about 5-10 seconds or so on my Camaro.

Most of these tpms have incredible range. Lots of guys race their cars, and thanks to that range, they are able to leave their wheels with the sensors back in the paddock and still be able to turn off stabilitrak with their race wheels on.

#62 ·
Re: TPMS Re-Learning Tool

For what it is worth.....

At a recent GM Show, in Detroit, A GM engineer was answering questions of people in the crowd. One of the questions asked, was regarding the transmission distance of the TPMS. The answer was LESS THAN 100 FEET under ideal conditions. He also stated that one cars sensors would not receive with another cars receiver, because of the learning/sync required for each car. Kind of like your key fob. Works with your car, but no other, because it is encoded. The direction of the original question was focusing toward an accusation, and the engineer recognized it from the "get go".

If that is true, I can't understand how some people experienced what they said.

#63 ·
I have to start by saying that I do not have a definitive knowledge of the TPMS systems, but I have done some research to justify my understanding. Firstly, the TPMS sensors in the wheels must be "registered" with the specific vehicle control module. Part of the "registration" includes the identification code of the specific TPMS sensor and also its location. Whenever a TPMS sensor is moved (tire rotation) or replaced, it must be "relearned" by the vehicle control module. Only during this "relearn" mode is it possible for the vehicle control module to receive and register the signal of a TPMS sensor that is not associated with the vehicle, i.e. a nearby vehicle or loose wheel. Also, the communication protocol is specific to each vehicle (although the protocol may be shared by more than one model). Another aspect of the TPMS communication is the frequency being used. The combination of the specific vehicle communication protocol and frequency was creating a problem for aftermarket tire and wheel retailers that needed to maintain a large inventory of TPMS sensors for all the different makes and models of cars. Not to mention, the federal law that requires TPMS on new vehicles.

Back to the point:
There are two different problems affecting the current situation of the TPMS systems.

1) The inadvertant/incorrect "learning" of a wrong/nearby TPMS sensor during a relearn procedure.
This problem should be limited to TPMS sensors that share the same communication protocol and frequency, i.e. primarily the dearlership service department. As a means of addressing this problem, the GM engineers changed the "relearn" procedure to require a TPMS activation tool.

2) The myriad of TPMS sensors required for aftermarket tire and wheel vendors to maintain in inventory.
Several TPMS manufacturers, most notably Schrader, have developed a new TPMS sensor that cane be "programmed" to the necessary vehicle protocol. The Schrader EZ-sensor is available in two different frequencies (315 and 433 MHz) that Schrader claims will cover nearly 90% of the vehicle OEM sensors. I suspect that these types of TPMS sensors will become the norm. This could become a problem for the car owner that wishes to purchase a TPMS sensor. It will require the sensor to be programmed for the intended vehicle before it can be purchased and used. (then of course, it still has to be relearned when installed on the vehicle).

#65 ·
NotMine said:
For what it is worth.....

At a recent GM Show, in Detroit, A GM engineer was answering questions of people in the crowd. One of the questions asked, was regarding the transmission distance of the TPMS. The answer was LESS THAN 100 FEET under ideal conditions. He also stated that one cars sensors would not receive with another cars receiver, because of the learning/sync required for each car. Kind of like your key fob. Works with your car, but no other, because it is encoded. The direction of the original question was focusing toward an accusation, and the engineer recognized it from the "get go".

If that is true, I can't understand how some people experienced what they said.
I can tell you he is wrong. I was definitely miles from my house. I was gonna keep going to see how far but it was late. Maybe I will try again and measure the distance this time.

#66 ·
Jimmy, I dont know why you experienced the situation you did, and I dont doubt that it was the perception. But consider the size of the transmitter, and the power required to transmit a signal over the ground (with all associated things that would block the signal) that distance would be huge. And the batteries in the sensors would be dead in a day.

#67 ·
Update, after about the third startup, my wife's 2011 did eventually reacquire the OEM wheel sensors when the summer tires/wheels were reinstalled. Since I rotated them, they aren't in the correct location for the display, but all I need right now is for the light not to flash and there to be an indication if there is a low tire somewhere.

I will be buying the tool and four new sensors for the winter wheel/tire set eventually.

jack vines

#69 ·
ok I purchased this TMPS tool (the one listed in my owners manual by the way) because we have a lot of Gm vehicle's so I thought it would be cost effective. Well I have tried it with the engine running and not running and the tool doesn't work. I could be doing something wrong but ? all my other gm cars I could do the tire deflation thing but not this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.