TPMS Re-Learing Tool - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, TPMS Re-Learing Tool in Cadillac SRX Forums; I would say there is a lag of about 5-10 seconds or so on my Camaro. Most of these tpms ...
    JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: TPMS Re-Learing Tool

I would say there is a lag of about 5-10 seconds or so on my Camaro.

Most of these tpms have incredible range. Lots of guys race their cars, and thanks to that range, they are able to leave their wheels with the sensors back in the paddock and still be able to turn off stabilitrak with their race wheels on.

NotMine is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux, with several upgrades

Re: TPMS Re-Learning Tool

For what it is worth.....

At a recent GM Show, in Detroit, A GM engineer was answering questions of people in the crowd. One of the questions asked, was regarding the transmission distance of the TPMS. The answer was LESS THAN 100 FEET under ideal conditions. He also stated that one cars sensors would not receive with another cars receiver, because of the learning/sync required for each car. Kind of like your key fob. Works with your car, but no other, because it is encoded. The direction of the original question was focusing toward an accusation, and the engineer recognized it from the "get go".

If that is true, I can't understand how some people experienced what they said.

beachcad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury AWD

I have to start by saying that I do not have a definitive knowledge of the TPMS systems, but I have done some research to justify my understanding. Firstly, the TPMS sensors in the wheels must be "registered" with the specific vehicle control module. Part of the "registration" includes the identification code of the specific TPMS sensor and also its location. Whenever a TPMS sensor is moved (tire rotation) or replaced, it must be "relearned" by the vehicle control module. Only during this "relearn" mode is it possible for the vehicle control module to receive and register the signal of a TPMS sensor that is not associated with the vehicle, i.e. a nearby vehicle or loose wheel. Also, the communication protocol is specific to each vehicle (although the protocol may be shared by more than one model). Another aspect of the TPMS communication is the frequency being used. The combination of the specific vehicle communication protocol and frequency was creating a problem for aftermarket tire and wheel retailers that needed to maintain a large inventory of TPMS sensors for all the different makes and models of cars. Not to mention, the federal law that requires TPMS on new vehicles.

Back to the point:
    There are two different problems affecting the current situation of the TPMS systems.

1) The inadvertant/incorrect "learning" of a wrong/nearby TPMS sensor during a relearn procedure.
    This problem should be limited to TPMS sensors that share the same communication protocol and frequency, i.e. primarily the dearlership service department. As a means of addressing this problem, the GM engineers changed the "relearn" procedure to require a TPMS activation tool.

2) The myriad of TPMS sensors required for aftermarket tire and wheel vendors to maintain in inventory.
    Several TPMS manufacturers, most notably Schrader, have developed a new TPMS sensor that cane be "programmed" to the necessary vehicle protocol. The Schrader EZ-sensor is available in two different frequencies (315 and 433 MHz) that Schrader claims will cover nearly 90% of the vehicle OEM sensors. I suspect that these types of TPMS sensors will become the norm. This could become a problem for the car owner that wishes to purchase a TPMS sensor. It will require the sensor to be programmed for the intended vehicle before it can be purchased and used. (then of course, it still has to be relearned when installed on the vehicle).

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Well, now we know why we need the tool!
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Quote Originally Posted by NotMine
    For what it is worth.....

At a recent GM Show, in Detroit, A GM engineer was answering questions of people in the crowd. One of the questions asked, was regarding the transmission distance of the TPMS. The answer was LESS THAN 100 FEET under ideal conditions. He also stated that one cars sensors would not receive with another cars receiver, because of the learning/sync required for each car. Kind of like your key fob. Works with your car, but no other, because it is encoded. The direction of the original question was focusing toward an accusation, and the engineer recognized it from the "get go".

If that is true, I can't understand how some people experienced what they said.
    I can tell you he is wrong. I was definitely miles from my house. I was gonna keep going to see how far but it was late. Maybe I will try again and measure the distance this time.

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Jimmy, I dont know why you experienced the situation you did, and I dont doubt that it was the perception. But consider the size of the transmitter, and the power required to transmit a signal over the ground (with all associated things that would block the signal) that distance would be huge. And the batteries in the sensors would be dead in a day.
    stevec5375 and stevec5375 like this.

packardv8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Saab 9-4X Premium XWD

Update, after about the third startup, my wife's 2011 did eventually reacquire the OEM wheel sensors when the summer tires/wheels were reinstalled. Since I rotated them, they aren't in the correct location for the display, but all I need right now is for the light not to flash and there to be an indication if there is a low tire somewhere.

I will be buying the tool and four new sensors for the winter wheel/tire set eventually.

jack vines

Hopefully I will have a chance to test it out this weekend. Prove a point, I must.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.