Cadillac Owners Forum banner

TPMS Re-Learing Tool

18K views 69 replies 20 participants last post by  KRDCAD 
#1 ·
I understand that when you rotate your tires that it becomes necessary to match the tire pressure sensors to the TPMS and that a special tool is needed. Where can I purchase a DIY style TPMS re-learning tool for a 2012 SRX?

#4 ·
Thanks for the info classic. I also installed new TPMS sensors and the owners manual states that to pair the new sensors with my 2012 SRX TPMS it is necessary to purchase a so called "re-learning tool". I am going to try letting the air out first. Then I will let this forum know.

#5 ·
Here is the skinny, letting out the air will NOT work period if you installed NEW TPMS sensors on a 2012 SRX. They will need to be registered to the vehicle via a required initialization by a dealer. Or purchase a re-learning tool that range in price from $20 to over $600 which is why many tire shops do NOT have TPMS re-learning tool.

#6 · (Edited)
The relearning tool is for their convinence and is not necessarly required. The tool makes it fast for a dealer to relearn the tire positions with out adding or removing pressure.Your premium coverage should cover having the TPMS programed to each corner. They must have changed the procedure for the 2012 cars because I can change my regular tires and wheels for my snows and do the procedure in my owners manual and it works every time. I have a 2011.

#7 · (Edited)
I just read the procedure you used for the CTS and it is not the proper procedure for our cars. Here is the procedure: Start your car. go to the tire pressure page in the information page. press the end of the turn signal stalk until the horn sounds twice. Go to the front drivers side tire and add or remove air for 5sec. stop and wait until the horn honks once. Press the end of the turn signal stalk once, move to the passenger side front and add or remove air for 5sec stop and wait for the horn to sound once. go back and press the end of the stalk once and move to the passenger side rear and do the same procedure, press the stalk and finally move to the left rear and add or remove pressure for 5sec when your done the horn will honk twice. your done. Shut off the car and now go back and bring the tire pressures to 35psi and your ready to go. Remember you need to complete the learning procedure within 2min or you will need to start over. This procedure is in your owners manual that is in your car on page 10-66 to 10-67. The manual on line is different than the one in your car.

#8 ·
Hate to disagree with you. But the above procedure will not work on 2012. Starting with Late 2011 Model Year GM vehicles and all vehicles build after that point will support just one TPM relearn procedure - the Dealer Procedure. Or the purchase of a learning tool. Is anyone familar with the Relearn Tool (EL-50448) sold by SPX for about $60 ?

#13 ·
Glad I have a 2010. But really, what a crock! The old method works just fine. Why did they need to do this? If you buy your tires from someone besides the dealer, now you'll have yet another trip to the dealer just to get your TPMS reset. Oh! Maybe they can find something wrong with you car while it's there and make even more money off of you. Now, can someone give me a GOOD reason why GM did this?

#16 ·
The SRX uses a high level TPMS system, as compared to lower level systems which just kick off an idiot light when the pressure gets too low.

#19 ·
I think we need to clarify something. MnMs, are these TPMS's on a set of new(2nd) set you are putting on and programming? Or is this your first (original) set that you've rotated and need to relearn so the vehicle's DIC display is accurate?

#21 ·
For previous year GM products, the 'tool' is nothing more than a high intensity magnet in an easy to hold handle. I bought a couple of rectangular 'strong' magnets from (insert local hardware store here) for under $5 and have used them successfully on several prior GM vehicles (placing the base of the tire stem between the magnets when re-learning). To be honest, tho, I have not yet tried them on my 2012 SRX - I would suspect, however, they would still work as the sensors are still RF and the 'tool' merely helps the vehicle locate the specific tire during the relearn sequence. YMMV.

#29 ·
All 2010 and SOME 2011 SRX's can use the procedure in your manual pages10-66 and 10-67. Newer 2011 and 2012 cars need the relearning tool. They say. Nobody knows exacty when they changed the procedure during 2011. You will have to look in your manual to see which applies. My early 2011 works using the method in my manual by adding or removing pressure in the tires. It will be interesting to see if the magnets will work.

#30 ·
Tried the magnets today and they did NOT work. Now keep in mind that I purchased a tire and wheel package from Tire Rack with the tires mounted and the sensors installed. Contacted Tire Rack today and they confirmed that the correct sensors were installed. Next stop is a relearn tool.

#32 ·
Unfortunately, I get to concur with you (not unfortunately I'm concurring with you - unfortunately that the magnets don't work :rolleyes: )... I tried today on my OEM tires (what else am I going to do when it's 15 degrees and snowing?)... The magnets didn't work - and I also noticed the stems on these rims are much more 'plasticy' than the previous TPMS stems I've dealt with using the magnets. Sigh.

#35 ·
Today I tested a relearn tool (ATEQ VT5) from Tire Rack on my 2012 SRX. It worked like a charm and in less than (1) minute I had all four tires relearned. It sure beats the h@ll out of letting the air out and then adding air.

Just make sure that you press the tip of this tool on the side wall of your tire near the valve stem.

#36 ·
Staying with the 2012 models (Late 2011 models also) What is the part number for these new tire sensors? Someone said that it should be:
20922900 (GM Part number) Is this correct? and will older sensors from early 2011 and before work on the 2012? I think those may have a 25920615 or 20923680 numbers.

#39 ·
Syncing wheels after rotation?

Owners Manual says to take it to the dealer OR talk with your dealer about a special tool to purchase. I rotate tires about every 3000-4000 miles, depending on use (it's just an OCD). Does anyone have a sync tool, probably Kent Moore, that will accomplish this? Is there another method? One of my neighbors mentioned a magnet??????

#40 ·
Merged into a thread all about tire learning tools and 2011+ SRXs with TPMS.

Also, if it hasn't been clarified, only a tpms re-learn tool will work. (Like a GM/Kent Moore EL-50448)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.