Weird Phonebook Problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Weird Phonebook Problem in Cadillac SRX Forums; I'm having a weird phonebook problem. I have a Motorola Droid X, running Android OS 2.3.3 (Gingerbread). The phone was ...
    SoCalSRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Luxury with Navigation

Weird Phonebook Problem

I'm having a weird phonebook problem.

I have a Motorola Droid X, running Android OS 2.3.3 (Gingerbread). The phone was updated automatically a couple of weeks ago. I just recently noticed that my phonebook had disappeared from the SRX's phone screen. I decided to delete the pairing and then re-pair the phone and the SRX. The re-pairing went fine.

Now what happens is that the phonebook will appear on the SRX's screen for awhile, and then disappear (never to return). The phone's call lists remain accessible through the SRX's screen, but the phonebook is gone.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? More importantly, I'd appreciate suggestions on how to fix it.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Re: Weird Phonebook Problem

Possibly a conflict with the the phone's OS. Do you have all of the latest updates for your radio? If so, you may be stuck with this until/unless they update the SRX again. I don't believe the X is scheduled for an update to ICS. I plan on getting the Galaxy Nexus and I'm worried about this being compatible with the SRX too.

Sube

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

PM me Sube. Galaxy Nexus? I was thinking the same thing. However, I have been pissed with Samsung with the way they have handled the upgrades to the Samsung Vibrant on T-Mobile.

smiley47 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon Black Diamond Tri-Coat

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    Possibly a conflict with the the phone's OS. Do you have all of the latest updates for your radio? If so, you may be stuck with this until/unless they update the SRX again. I don't believe the X is scheduled for an update to ICS. I plan on getting the Galaxy Nexus and I'm worried about this being compatible with the SRX too.....

Sube

I'm waiting for the Nexus as well (hopefully late November) and am also concerned about general compatability issues. At least we 2010 SRX owners don't have to worry about any phonebook download problems. LOL

UPDATE: Now the phonebook doesn't appear at all. Only the call lists. It's not a big deal in that I can simply use Bluetooth dialing, but it's an annoyance that a feature of the car that used to work doesn't anymore. And, one thing I will miss is that before the name of a person in my phonebook would pop up on my screen when that person called. That doesn't happen anymore. Again...an annoyance and a feature that used to work but now doesn't.

I'm thinking this has to be related to the recent Android update, because before the update everything was fine.

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by smiley47 View Post
    I'm waiting for the Nexus as well (hopefully late November) and am also concerned about general compatibility issues. At least we 2010 SRX owners don't have to worry about any phonebook download problems. LOL
    You're reading my mind.

Sube

UPDATE:

The problem appears to be solved. For the next person that might have this issue, here are the details:

I am running TouchDown on my phone to handle email and contacts via my office's Exchange server. I theorized that possibly the link between TouchDown and the native Android contact app could be causing the native app to not want to link with my car's BT phonebook. I queried TouchDown's tech support people, and got this response:

“I would suggest turning off the Update Contacts to phone setting in the last tab of TouchDown to prevent auto creation of this account, then go into Android's Account&Sync properties, locate the TouchDown account and remove it and see if the syncing works.”

I did that, and also deleted the pairing of the phone and the car -- both on the phone and in the car's BT system. Then I powered down the phone and did a battery pull, just to be sure all of last vestiges of the pairing were gone. I re-booted the phone and paired it with the car. The phone got a phone book access request from the car (PBAP) and I clicked "OK." In a few seconds the phone book appeared on the SRX's screen. I was able to access my numbers and dial out. To be sure, I then shut off the car and powered down the phone. I rebooted the phone and turned the car on, and the phonebook appeared on the screen. I've yet to take it out for a road test, but I'm guardedly optimistic that the issue was a conflict between TouchDown and the native contacts app.

Jcode68 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

I have the Droid X and am running Touchdown and do not have this problem. I'm trying to verify whether or not I have the Update Contacts to phone enabled or not, but can't seem to find this in the config screen. I can tell you that all of the contacts listed in Touchdown contact list are also in the native Droid contact list, which leads me to believe this must be enabled. Glad you got your problem fixed, but not sure the issue was with Touchdown.

Have you done the latest Android update? That's when my problems started. Prior to that, everything was fine.

There are lots of variables here...all I can tell you is that once I did what TD tech support suggested, the problem was resolved. I have to believe that it's more than a coincidence.

The "update contacts" setting is found in TD's settings, on the third tab (advanced settings), under options. There's a radio button for "update contact changes to phone" about halfway down the list.

Jcode68 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Yup, did the Android update a few weeks back also. I just checked the settings in Touchdown and that box is unchecked, so looks like that is the related issue. Thanks for documenting what you found.

FURTHER UPDATE: Just took the car out for a drive, and the phonebook seems to be working fine. It would appear that the issue was the sync link between Touchdown and the native contacts app. Since I've made the folks at TD aware of the problem, maybe they'll deal with it in a future release. In the meantime, the fix is to be sure that the "update contact changes to phone" setting in TD is not checked.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.