Caution with your FOB
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Caution with your FOB in Cadillac SRX Forums; I experienced something that I didn't even know was possible yesterday with my fob. I usually clip it to my ...
    inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

Caution with your FOB

I experienced something that I didn't even know was possible yesterday with my fob. I usually clip it to my belt loop on the side of my trousers with a carabiner and never think about it. But today as I was clipping it on the black part fell to the ground. It was't broken but I was surprised that it came apart so easily. It turns out that there is a small button at the top/side of the fob that disconnects the rest of the fob from the hook at the top along with some sort of a key. Be careful because all I did was squeeze the fob when I was squeezing the carabiner and off it came.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadigirlchicago2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

Re: Caution with your FOB

I use that feature when I valet my car - you can lock valuables in your glove box and still have your key. The fob still allows them to start the car.

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux

and the key will allow you to unlock and open the driver door if the fob doesnt work (battery dead on either fob or car, etc).

Thanks for the info.

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Yes, your salesperson was lacking. They should have explained all of this to you when you took delivery.

One of these should solve the problem.

http://www.thejacketstore.com/servle...Keyless/Detail

Sube

algiorda is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 , 2010, 2014 Luxury Raven Blk w/Ebony

I have the Jacket on mine and when the service manager at the dealer saw it, he gave me compliments because it prevents that very issue.

While were on that subject, do NOT drive with the FOB in your POCKET!!!

I had the fob in my pocket one day and the entire instrument cluster went nuts; like it rebooted or was first started. I lost all my personalization. Apparently, a key sequence was "butt dialed" in my pocket that reset the cluster.

allgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX FWD Gray Flannel / Ebony Premium 3.0 Chrome Techs

Thanks Sube, I just ordered two. Should save wear & tear on the FOB.

I also just ordered two. I'm still not clear if you can start the car if the remote is totally dead or not? If you are sitting in your car and the remote is dead can the key be used some how to start the car? Would carrying a spare remote battery be the answer?

macklobell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac XTS Platinum

My 2012 SRX Luxury key fob will only start and unlock the door around 16 feet from the vehicle...I remember my 2010 SRX Performance performing this much farther away...Can there be an issue with my key fob? Anyone else notice the same on their 2012?

When the salesman handed me my fob, the first thing I asked was about a key.
    I cant remember exactly why, but I had to use one to open my previous trailblazer, although it always used a key to start (no pushbutton). That was when I first noticed no keyhole in the passenger door. Since he just handed me the fob (no obvious key), I thought there should be SOMETHING that would at least open the door.
    Perhaps someone here knows more, but I'd guess that a dead car battery is more likely than the fob dying. With the fob, you'd get a weaker signal (ie, have to get closer and closer to open doors or start) as the battery dies, but if something goes screwy and a light gets left on and the car battery dies suddenly, you at least want to be able to open the door to pop the hood.
    But that brings up a good point, how to even tow with a dead battery, if you cant take it out of park... After checking the manual, there are directions for manually releasing the shifter lock. Beyond that, I think the best having a key does is allow you to open the door (and lock the glove compartment for valet).

The range of operation for the remote is 195 ft., at least with the 2010 model. I can't imagine they would have changed this for 2012. Keep in mind this is "line of sight". If the signal is going through walls, windows, etc., expect the range to be less. The DIC warns you of a low battery in your remote. Even with no battery installed at all the remote can still start the car. You lay the remote in the little indentation at the bottom of the center console and the car detects the chip inside. In this scenario the retractable key inside is used to unlock the driver's door.

Not trying to chastise anyone, but everyone really should read their manuals to get the most out of this vehicle. If you don't, there are dozens of things you'll likely never discover on your own. I damn near memorized the manual and after two years I'm still finding miniscule features not even mentioned in the manual.

Sube

I agree with you on the manual, although, as you say, every time I read it, I find something new.
    For all I remember, the salesman may have told me, there was so much stuff we went over. And he was pretty proud of the certifications he got from GM for keeping up to date on all the new stuff. He said they did monthly training sessions on the features and quarterly testing on how to show (for sales and delivery) the functions...

Quote Originally Posted by Huey Driver View Post
    I agree with you on the manual, although, as you say, every time I read it, I find something new.
    For all I remember, the salesman may have told me, there was so much stuff we went over. And he was pretty proud of the certifications he got from GM for keeping up to date on all the new stuff. He said they did monthly training sessions on the features and quarterly testing on how to show (for sales and delivery) the functions...
    My salesman was totally inept. His lack of knowledge was obvious. Rather than admit he didn't know the answers to my questions, he just flat out made stuff up off the top of his head. Some salespeople are lazy and don't really think they need to know their cars inside and out. Their only aim is to bamboozle you into buying a car so they can move on to the next customer. Some of the younger salespeople take their jobs seriously and make a concerted effort to know the car's features. If I sold cars for a living I'd make it a point to study all of the owner's manuals of every car I sold. I'd never want to be in the position of having a prospective customer ask me a question that I didn't know the answer to. That would make me look and feel incompetent.

The bottom line is don't rely on any of them to inform you. Educate yourself. We live in the information age. If you can read, have a computer with Internet access and know how to use a search engine, it's pretty easy to find out almost anything.

Sube

I must be dense but I cannot find where it says that the fob will start the car "Even if the fob battery is dead". I read where it says that if the battery is weak place it in the detent in the center box. Maybe someone could quote a page number for me. I'm not sure how the car "Detects" a chip if the chip has no power going to it.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
    I must be dense but I cannot find where it says that the fob will start the car "Even if the fob battery is dead". I read where it says that if the battery is weak place it in the detent in the center box. Maybe someone could quote a page number for me. I'm not sure how the car "Detects" a chip if the chip has no power going to it.
    Thanks
    You're right. I went back and re-read that section. It does say "weak" and not dead, so I'm not sure if it'll work with no battery. I think I'll try it once my battery dies. I don't want to risk the remote losing its pairing by trying it now.

Sube

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.