Caution with your FOB - Page 2
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 39
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Caution with your FOB in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by sube5186 ...Not trying to chastise anyone, but everyone really should read their manuals... Sube RTFM. Idealistically, they ...
  1. #16
    xrs01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    128

    Re: Caution with your FOB

    Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post

    ...Not trying to chastise anyone, but everyone really should read their manuals...


    Sube

    RTFM.

    Idealistically, they should.

    Realistically, they don't.






    .

  2. #17
    inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    632

    Re: Caution with your FOB

    I hate to break this to you but some of us have lives and reading a 200 page manual on how to operate a f**king car is not high on my list. They went out of their way to NOT be intuitive about most of the things in this car. Like the windshield wiper switch/stalk. Think about it, if you want to turn on the washers in the FRONT why you pull BACK on the stalk. And if you want to turn on the REAR washer you push FORWARD on the stalk. On previous GM cars to adjust the steering wheel you would pull aft on the lock to adjust the wheel. Now you must push down on the lock even if you want to raise the wheel. These are little things but it seems there is no one at GM who is even aware of ergonomics. This ain't no Chevy and we should not expect it to be one but strangely enough I got a loane,r from my dealer, of a Chevy SUV and the mirrors had little convex sections molded into them and the total mirror was twice as large as the tiny mirrors on the SRX. You would think if Chevy could do that then Caddy could afford to do the same. I have already written about the front spoiler, the cup holder and how if you ever spilled anything into it you cannot clean it out, the nav display and it's pale yellow roads in the daylight mode that are unreadable, the auto seat that goes forward before you can get into the car seat (I did hear from another car guy about why some other brands do that but no one at GM knew why), the back up camera and display from a dark garage into a bright outside where the display stays dark until the back up is complete and finally the center console and its scatter-the-bread-crumbs switches all over the map. Did anyone ever sit down and analyze how a driver would use these switches? If it weren't for the wheel switches there would probably be more dead SRX owners than any other brand. IMHO

  3. #18
    stevec5375's Avatar
    stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX, USA
    Posts
    1,604

    Re: Caution with your FOB

    Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
    I hate to break this to you but some of us have lives and reading a 200 page manual on how to operate a f**king car is not high on my list. They went out of their way to NOT be intuitive about most of the things in this car. Like the windshield wiper switch/stalk. Think about it, if you want to turn on the washers in the FRONT why you pull BACK on the stalk. And if you want to turn on the REAR washer you push FORWARD on the stalk. On previous GM cars to adjust the steering wheel you would pull aft on the lock to adjust the wheel. Now you must push down on the lock even if you want to raise the wheel. These are little things but it seems there is no one at GM who is even aware of ergonomics. This ain't no Chevy and we should not expect it to be one but strangely enough I got a loane,r from my dealer, of a Chevy SUV and the mirrors had little convex sections molded into them and the total mirror was twice as large as the tiny mirrors on the SRX. You would think if Chevy could do that then Caddy could afford to do the same. I have already written about the front spoiler, the cup holder and how if you ever spilled anything into it you cannot clean it out, the nav display and it's pale yellow roads in the daylight mode that are unreadable, the auto seat that goes forward before you can get into the car seat (I did hear from another car guy about why some other brands do that but no one at GM knew why), the back up camera and display from a dark garage into a bright outside where the display stays dark until the back up is complete and finally the center console and its scatter-the-bread-crumbs switches all over the map. Did anyone ever sit down and analyze how a driver would use these switches? If it weren't for the wheel switches there would probably be more dead SRX owners than any other brand. IMHO
    As a former tech support person, I can tell you that most users who call in with "obvious" questions get the "RTFM" whisper across the aisle to a fellow supporter. It's nice to know that part of the high price you pay for the car you are driving is so that someone can RTFM the manual to you over the phone, only in different words so you don't get pissed that we are RTFMing the manual to you.

    Not trying to be provocative or piss you off, but I think you get my drift. Ergonomics can only go so far with our limited technology. Perhaps some day we'll have cars that look like the bridge of the Starship Enterprise. Until then, you're stuck with RTFM.

  4. #19
    sube5186's Avatar
    sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,806

    Re: Caution with your FOB

    Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
    I hate to break this to you but some of us have lives and reading a 200 page manual on how to operate a f**king car is not high on my list.
    Well, I too have a life, yet I manage to squeeze in time to RTFM. I do so just so I don't get on this forum and embarrass myself by asking ridiculous questions. You spend thousands and thousands of dollars to buy a car and then refuse to spend as much time as it takes to read the average newspaper learning how to use it?


    Sube

  5. #20
    stevec5375's Avatar
    stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX, USA
    Posts
    1,604

    Re: Caution with your FOB

    Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    Well, I too have a life, yet I manage to squeeze in time to RTFM. I do so just so I don't get on this forum and embarrass myself by asking ridiculous questions. You spend thousands and thousands of dollars to buy a car and then refuse to spend as much time as it takes to read the average newspaper learning how to use it?


    Sube
    By your own post, I got to thinking. Are they part of the the 1% or 99%. And I don't want to hear about the 53%. You people are a waste of good fodder in a discussion.

  6. #21
    inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    632

    Re: Caution with your FOB

    I read the manual through once retaining the stuff that appeared germane to what I needed to know as I am learning the new car. RTFM and tell me why the driver's seat goes forward when the door is opened. I have heard from another user but NO ONE I talked to at GM knew why. My dealer sure as hell didn't know why.Sube thought the dead battery in the fob would start the car. It won't. How many more items do we ask about that no GM tech can answer? I called the GM tech line to ask about the stupid seat and she read me the chapter in the manual. No answer! There are many things that users will discover that obviously GM didn't have time to try out before going into production. You may think it's funny or clever to ridicule forum members but it's not to bright if you pants are unzipped. That's a metaphor for you GM types.

  7. #22
    sube5186's Avatar
    sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,806

    Re: Caution with your FOB

    Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
    Tell me why the driver's seat goes forward when the door is opened. I have heard from another user but NO ONE I talked to at GM knew why. My dealer sure as hell didn't know why.
    My original comment about the owner's manual was directed toward those who ask a question on the forum simply because they don't want to expend the effort to open the manual. If you already tried to find an answer in the manual but were unsuccessful, then this does NOT apply to you. As for "GM Types", I'm not sure if I was included in that or not. However, those who have been on here from the beginning know that I'm nobody's "type". I've freely criticized and commended GM whenever applicable. I don't hold any loyalty to any one brand.

    Now that we've dispensed with the trivialities, can we get back to the original purpose of this forum......solving problems? I didn't read your original post on your seat problem. Did you turn off the "Easy Exit" feature in the Config Menu?


    Sube

  8. #23
    inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    632

    Re: Caution with your FOB

    Yes I did turn it off but by doing so I had to give up a feature that I paid for because of a design that had a one time safety concern for a borrower of my car issue, (As stated by a forum reader it was done so that if a big person borrowed your car and used your wife's fob and he was a big guy, he could be crushed against the wheel because the car would think it was the little woman). The sad thing was that my dealer and the GM customer service line could NOT tell me why it did what it did. Look, until the bailout of GM I had nothing but respect for their products. I traded a 2002 Tahoe, probably the best car I have ever owned, in on my SRX. I had been a Cadillac owner many years ago but had to give up on them as their products got to be so undependable. I bought a 1986 De Ville that had a thump in the front end and it turned out to be the the FACTORY had left out one of the main bolts that held the front suspension on the car! I had two little children and would not give Cadillac another chance to kill my entire family. I had big issues after I switched to Ford and discovered their total lack of any concern for their repeat customers. I had three new Ford products when the transmission on my SHO came loose. It had been recalled by Ford to replace a washer in the tranny and the idiots forgot to tighten the four bolts that held the tranny onto the engine. Ford refused any responsibility for the problem. It was GM for me after that. I do not hate GM or it's workers but feel that a company that has smelled the breath of doom might have a better attitude towards the buying public. It appears to be business as usual. My dealer is great and works with me on every issue. One word of advice to all of you that have the SRX. If you plan to own this car for more than the warranty you had better get an extension on the TOTAL car because when any of this electronics stuff fails you will not believe how much it will cost to fix. On my Tahoe that was nine years old and totally trouble free I got a "Check Auto Ride" light on the dash. I spent over $1200 and the light was still on when I traded it in. Google Tahoe/GM autoride light and you will see what a nightmare it is. That one system has three computers serving it and about twenty sensors plus two $400 each shock absorbers and a $600 air compressor. If the car will not give a good code then the GM manual says to start replacing parts. The SRX doesn't have the autoride but it has a ton of electronics that will fail with time. Don't wait get it today.

  9. #24
    sube5186's Avatar
    sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,806

    Re: Caution with your FOB

    OK, I did some digging. Go into the Config Menu/Vehicle/Remote Locking, Unlocking, Starting/Memory Remote Recall. If this is checked, uncheck it. This may have been turned on, which associates memory seat positions, mirrors & pedals with one specific remote.

    Remote Memory Recall

    This allows the Remote Memory
    Recall feature to be turned on or off.
    Remote Memory Recall is when the
    memorized settings will be recalled
    when you remotely unlock the
    vehicle and open the driver door.


    Sube

  10. #25
    Jake2010 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX - Premium - Black Raven / Titanium - Chrome Tech
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    88

    Re: Caution with your FOB

    You're a good guy Sube... I've read portions of the manual but probably learned more about the car by simply reading your posts! You are very helpful - Thanks!

  11. #26
    Maximumkk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium AWD - Silver Coast w/ Shale-Brownstone
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Winnipeg Manitoba
    Posts
    193

    Re: Caution with your FOB

    I don't own an SRX (yet), but I suspect the remote will start the vehicle when the battery is dead. It most likely has a proximity circuit that allows communication without having an internal power source, but only works when placed in the indent in the console. Similar to the imbedded chips in new credit cards. The chip cards have no battery but they receive and communicate via "induction" power circuits when placed within a few inches of a reader.

    Just IMHO.

  12. #27
    sube5186's Avatar
    sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,806

    Re: Caution with your FOB

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximumkk View Post
    I don't own an SRX (yet), but I suspect the remote will start the vehicle when the battery is dead. It most likely has a proximity circuit that allows communication without having an internal power source, but only works when placed in the indent in the console. Similar to the imbedded chips in new credit cards. The chip cards have no battery but they receive and communicate via "induction" power circuits when placed within a few inches of a reader.

    Just IMHO.
    Interesting. This makes sense because your battery could be weak enough to be effectively dead, which is the equivalent of having no battery installed. If this happened and the remote required at least a "weak" battery installed, you'd be stranded. Like I said, I do intend to try this whenever my battery gets too weak to work. This will probably be years off, so don't hold your breath waiting for my test results.


    Sube

  13. #28
    sube5186's Avatar
    sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,806

    Re: Caution with your FOB

    Quote Originally Posted by Jake2010 View Post
    You're a good guy Sube... I've read portions of the manual but probably learned more about the car by simply reading your posts! You are very helpful - Thanks!
    I appreciate the kind words. I do try.

  14. #29
    cadigirlchicago2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    188

    Re: Caution with your FOB

    Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    Not trying to chastise anyone, but everyone really should read their manuals to get the most out of this vehicle. If you don't, there are dozens of things you'll likely never discover on your own. I damn near memorized the manual and after two years I'm still finding miniscule features not even mentioned in the manual.


    Sube
    Sube,

    This is why we love ya so much - you are a wealth of information! I have gotten so many valuable tid bits from you and I'm always thankful! I came to this forum to 54ou/rget information. Being a woman it's hard alot of the time since vehicles just aren't really our "thing". I come to the guys because well, many of you are experts in this area and know stuff that I wouldn't even think to ask. I always learn SOMETHING here to help with my car!


  15. #30
    Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Age
    51
    Posts
    272

    Re: Caution with your FOB

    Ok, I tried using my car today with no fob...

    I opened the fob (using the 'replace battery' instruction) and separated it into two halves. The circuit board was in one, the battery in another. No contacts with the battery appeared to do anything in that half, but I admit, I didnt completely take the battery out. I opened the door with the key... No alarm (first hurdle gone!). I put the two halves of the fob in the indent (not knowing which might have the 'magic parts'). I pressed the start button. I might have just 'tapped' it, but no response, so I pressed again and the engine started. I was able to put the car in gear and drive away. I snapped the pieces back together and the fob is working fine.

    As mentioned above, this is probably like the PASS key system; a passive ID system that authenticates when in the indent. No power necessary to start and run.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting