Anyone else have tire problems?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Anyone else have tire problems? in Cadillac SRX Forums; I have not seen any other posts about any tire troubles, so I must be the only one. I could ...
    Caddybill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Luxury w/nav

Angry Anyone else have tire problems?

I have not seen any other posts about any tire troubles, so I must be the only one.
    I could not take in my 11 Lux for tire rotation until beyond 8,000 miles as we were out of town on vacation. A trip that was over 2,000 miles. After dealer rotated the tires I noticed a little vibration at 70mph that was not there before the rotation. Since it was not too bad, and I was not going to do very much Interstate long distance driving for a few months, I decided to wait until it was due for the next oil change service, to have the tires balanced.
    I did call the service manager to ask why the tires were not balanced with the rotation and was told they don't cover balancing under the Premium Service, just the rotation. I never had tires rotated without balancing before. He did offer to cover the balancing when I brought it in for the next oil service.That would come in about a month later at about 12,000 miles, when the OLM reached 20%.
    When I did take it in for the scheduled service he told me that the tires were so far out, they could not be balanced. The only remedy was to "true" the tires by cutting or grinding off the surface of the tires. Which would cost me a total of $250.00. I told them to go ahead and do it as I cannot stand to ride on "square tires". As I was waiting for this service to be done (over 4 hours), I started to do a slow burn. This is not right! The tires were fine before they rotated them!
    I went back out to confront the manager and ask him why Michelin wouldn't cover this problem. He said that the OEM tires would only be covered by the manufacturer up 8,000 miles. Knowing I was not a happy camper, he did offer to cover the cost to true the tires if I would cover the $65.00 to balance them. I did agree to that, but now I'm thinking about the lost miles. It looks like I will be lucky to get 20 or 25,000 miles.
    Let me know if anyone else has had problems with the tires and what can be done to remedy this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadigirlchicago2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

Re: Anyone else have tire problems?

I've had my tires rotated 2x already, I have just over 30K miles on my vehicle. I'd like to know more about this.....again, you assume that what you pay for would cover things like this. WHY do we always have to second guess everything we pay for now?

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

I rotate my tires myself on my Escalade's and SRX's every 3k to 5k miles, I get all my tires road forced balanced (hammer on weights removed, thanks GM) the first week I get my new trucks, I never have to get them rebalanced again until I get new tires, doing it myself also stops the careless knocking off of weights by people who don't care what they are doing. You should not have to get your tires and wheels rebalanced when you rotate them.

SoCalSRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Luxury with Navigation

I have NEVER had to re-balance tires when they were rotated. Think about it. It's the same tire on the same rim. It was in balance when it was on the rear of the car. Why would it be out-of-balance when moved to the front? It makes NO sense. And even if the rear tires needed re-balancing (because they were out-of-balance to begin with and you didn't notice it because they were in the rear), there's no reason to "cut and true" the tires. The Service Manager was trying to hose you.

If it were me, I would have immediately taken the car to an independent tire shop and had the tires checked. If the tire shop told me that the tires could not be balanced, my next call would have been to Michelin customer service. I have a difficult time believing that Michelin would not stand behind tires that had less than 10,000 miles on them; OEM or not.

My $.02.

99ssconv is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): fix them every day

you can have a tire that is out of balance on the rear and not feel it until it is put on the front. Seen it many times, balance is not covered under warranty after 7,500 miles. If the tire has excessive Road Force Variation that exceeds 26 lbs then they can warranty it no problem. All you should be out of pocket it the cost to balance the tires.

GGMiv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX (Mocha Steel); 2008 SRX (Gold Mist)

I was out of town this summer when the first oil change came due. Took the car in to the local dealer where I was visiting my brother (Concord, NH) and they did the oil change and rotated the tires no problem, no questions.

Caddybill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Luxury w/nav

Road force was 26. Could that have been balanced or was "truing" the tire the only fix to stop the vibration?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.