Warning about On Star
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Warning about On Star in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hi Everyone! I am still stewing over this 4 hours later and wanted to tell you all what happened to ...
    cadigirlchicago2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

Warning about On Star

Hi Everyone!

I am still stewing over this 4 hours later and wanted to tell you all what happened to me today. So over a year ago, I renewed my onstar directions and connections package. Thanks to the tips on the forum, I negotiated the 1 year contract plus 3 mths free plus 100 phone minutes. Sweet. Today, I pressed my button for directions and the witch that took the call told me that this would be my last set of directions since I only have safe & sound plan. I told her, no, you are mistaken, I have directions and connections. Well, ended up getting into a battle with her over what package I had and I immediately told her to get me her supervisor. Guy comes on the line and says no, after your 1 year the extra 3 mths are only safe and sound package! WTF? Um, no.....why in the world would I negotiate an extra 3 mths of a package that is of no use to me? Makes ZERO sense! Long story short wanted to warn everyone who negotiated a better contract incase this happens to you as well. My blood was boiling and I requested customer care. I finally got someone who was nice and she said that they will review the call and escalate to upper managment. She gave me an extra 3 mths so now I have 6 extra months of DIRECTIONS & CONNECTIONS. This totally wasted 25 min of my time this morning not to mention it totally ticked me off. I told them that I was a member of the forum here and that I'd be sure to post about my experience. I'm seriously thinking about just buying a nice Garmin after the 6 mths are up. On star is nice but I think it's way too expensive considering what they offer. Yes, it's nice to have it built in with the extra features like accident sensors etc but still. Have any of you ditched on star for a garmin or like and are you happy with the switch?
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: Warning about On Star

So, you got a cheaper price to begin with, and now have 6 additional free months. And you are complaining why? Because you lost 25 minutes of your life? Sounds like they did more than they should be reasonably expected to.

I agree though, a Garmin is the best way to spend money on navigation.
    Rolex and Rolex like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    So, you got a cheaper price to begin with, and now have 6 additional free months. And you are complaining why? Because you lost 25 minutes of your life? Sounds like they did more than they should be reasonably expected to.

The reason I'm complaining is because it was a huge hassle. It was unacceptable and never should have happened to begin with. I think you'd be ticked off too if you bought something and was told uh sorry, the 3 mths we agreed to give you aren't what you thought you were getting. Yes, they made it right but it was beyond annoying plus a waste of time. So....that's WHY I'm complaining. I think that's the least they could do - they screwed up plus the advisor was beyond rude. I also thought it would be NICE of me to warn the rest of you because many other members called to get the same package, just wanted to give everyone the heads up incase it happens to others.

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Quote Originally Posted by cadigirlchicago2 View Post
    Hi Everyone!

I am still stewing over this 4 hours later and wanted to tell you all what happened to me today. So over a year ago, I renewed my onstar directions and connections package. Thanks to the tips on the forum, I negotiated the 1 year contract plus 3 mths free plus 100 phone minutes. Sweet. Today, I pressed my button for directions and the witch that took the call told me that this would be my last set of directions since I only have safe & sound plan. I told her, no, you are mistaken, I have directions and connections. Well, ended up getting into a battle with her over what package I had and I immediately told her to get me her supervisor. Guy comes on the line and says no, after your 1 year the extra 3 mths are only safe and sound package! WTF? Um, no.....why in the world would I negotiate an extra 3 mths of a package that is of no use to me? Makes ZERO sense! Long story short wanted to warn everyone who negotiated a better contract incase this happens to you as well. My blood was boiling and I requested customer care. I finally got someone who was nice and she said that they will review the call and escalate to upper managment. She gave me an extra 3 mths so now I have 6 extra months of DIRECTIONS & CONNECTIONS. This totally wasted 25 min of my time this morning not to mention it totally ticked me off. I told them that I was a member of the forum here and that I'd be sure to post about my experience. I'm seriously thinking about just buying a nice Garmin after the 6 mths are up. On star is nice but I think it's way too expensive considering what they offer. Yes, it's nice to have it built in with the extra features like accident sensors etc but still. Have any of you ditched on star for a garmin or like and are you happy with the switch?
    Glad to hear that things eventually worked out in your favor. However, if you go to the OnStar web site and login, it will show you what kind of account you have "Safe and Sound" or "Directions and Connections" on the right side of the screen. I would recommend after any renewal that you go online and make sure AT THAT TIME that you have what you "think" you paid for. Also, you must not take big advantage of the features of Directions and Connections if an entire year goes by before you realize you don't have it. Why pay the extra $100/year if you don't use the features of this plan?

Well, since I use directions and connections multiple times weekly, I think it's obvious what package I had. It's not like this is the first time I've pressed the button in a year to get directions.
    Hey, I was just trying to be helpful - take it for what it's worth. On star clearly screwed up and I just wanted to give everyone else the heads up - like I said before, when you negotiate something, does it make any sense to anyone that they would downgrade the package to safe and sound? I figured you guys would agree with me on how stupid it was.

There is no reason to take things so personally. We appreciate your info and warning. I just think you overreacted based on your account of what happened. Considering Onstar gave you a bonus, a free three months of anything, I feel it's a little unappreciative on your part to be upset that it wasn't exactly what you thought you were getting. As for the hassle of having to call them and spend an hour on the phone, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but that's part of life. If you are expecting every service you pay for in life to perform exactly the way you expect it to, you are in for a letdown.

inspectorudy is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

This story with OnStar is exactly why I let my wife handle things like this. I do not have the patients nor the personality to work with a person whom I think has screwed me. My wife treats them like long lost friends and gets it all worked out without any trouble. The thing is I KNOW my limitations.

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

cad- did you ever get your other srx problems resovled ? If you have issues with dealing with Onstar than you better have some anxiety medication on hand if you ever have to call XM

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    There is no reason to take things so personally. We appreciate your info and warning. I just think you overreacted based on your account of what happened. Considering Onstar gave you a bonus, a free three months of anything, I feel it's a little unappreciative on your part to be upset that it wasn't exactly what you thought you were getting. As for the hassle of having to call them and spend an hour on the phone, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but that's part of life. If you are expecting every service you pay for in life to perform exactly the way you expect it to, you are in for a letdown.
    JimmyH I could not have said that any better...

Unfortunately in all walks of life you will encounter those kind of bumpy roads... it is how you handle and deal with those kind of issues that will help you smooth out those bumps.

BTW: There is no better place for members who are looking to share their experiences and for advice than to come to forums like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
    This story with OnStar is exactly why I let my wife handle things like this. I do not have the patients nor the personality to work with a person whom I think has screwed me. My wife treats them like long lost friends and gets it all worked out without any trouble. The thing is I KNOW my limitations.
    If you are a doctor, that has to be a huge problem for you

SRX312 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX

Dear CadiGirl...I fully understand your position and reaction to how you were treated by OnStar. And I thank you for reporting this situation to us on the forum. What surprises me is that other members of this forum have personal issues with other people's anger and that it seems to upset them and maked them come down on you...the actual victim in this situation. Sounds to me like these people are taking too much Valium and Prozac...and have lost their normal and expected human feelings, emotions, passions when something like this happens. Of course you would get rip roaring mad to find out the plan you bought was changed without full disclosure and it makes one mad to be mistreated by a customer service rep. And for those of us who are super busy in life, we dont have the time to waste 25 mintues during our waking hours. We're not sitting around smoking pot with the #OWS crowd, we're not beach bums in California, we're not surfing for a living in Hawaii. We're busy to the max. We dont have time for this. We dont treat other people like this or run our own businesses like this. You were mistreated and of course it would be upsetting. I support you and understand. Thank you for your post. Please continue to post on this forum any time you want !!

algiorda is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 , 2010, 2014 Luxury Raven Blk w/Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by cadigirlchicago2 View Post
    Hi Everyone!

Have any of you ditched on star for a garmin or like and are you happy with the switch?
    I assume you do not have the Navigation Unit installed in your SRX?

My NAV unit in the SRX blows away any Garmin unit. I am so impressed with the directions and the routes the Nav unit selects for me in my Geographic area. I have only used OnStar directions ONCE and that was when I was driving and I needed a waypoint to an address which couldn't be entered while I was moving. VERY HANDY!

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

One of the biggest differences between a Garmin (or any other brand) and the SRX's Nav is the size of the screen. 8 inches is huge compared to most stand alone Nav units, and even surpasses the size of most built-in units. I was browsing at new cars the other week with a friend and the first thing I noticed was how small some of the nav screens were. Then it dawned on me. They weren't small. Ours is just big. The pop-up design also puts the screen higher than in most cars, and therefore closer to ones line of sight, making it safer to use.

OnStar came into existence at a time when no cars had built-in navigation systems. Now, using Directions & Connections is kind of redundant. Even when I was still in the free trial period I always had OnStar download directions to the car, as opposed to them telling me where to turn. It felt a little creepy having some complete stranger talking to me in the privacy of my own car. Probably just my own hangup, but creepy none the less.

Sube

frankrizzo135 is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance

I am on your side and agree with you 100%. I know how you feel because I have been in the situation myself. It's not really the 25 minutes you or I have spent on the phone ,it is dealing with the incompetence of some of these so called "service rep's" . They do not know how to explain themselves or really how to resolve an issue. My similiar issue started off with xm radio after the trial period. I was promised something by one of them and after a period another one told me the deal I received was not what I got and had to pay more for what I have. Eventually I told them to take their XM RADIO and XXXXXX it. I do not need to pay and pay extra again to listen to a radio when I have other sources to use. As far as onstar I called to delete the auto-renewal feature on my account. I have heard if they renew your account and you decide that you do not want the service,it is tough getting your money back.

Directions and Connections makes more sense for the lower end vehicles, like my Camaro, that doesn't have built in nav. It's pretty slick actually, because upcoming turns and distances display on both the DIC in the gauge cluster and on the radio display.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.