2011 SRX Cabin Air Filter Step-by-step with photographs
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 2011 SRX Cabin Air Filter Step-by-step with photographs in Cadillac SRX Forums; I decided to replace the Cabin Air Filter in my 2011 SRX after one year of ownership. (Only 7,000 miles). ...
    2011_SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX

2011 SRX Cabin Air Filter Step-by-step with photographs

I decided to replace the Cabin Air Filter in my 2011 SRX after one year of ownership. (Only 7,000 miles).

This existing URL outlines the task for the 2010 SRX and provides a GM pdf, but I thought a few photographs may be helpful. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-2010-srx.html

I purchased my filter on eBay. It is the exact GM replacement part number 13271191. It arrived quickly and well packaged, delivered by US Postal Priority Mail. Here is the URL to the DelcoDirect eBay ad.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...OC%3AUS%3A1123
    4-new-boxed.jpg

Comparing the new and old filter in the photo, they are exactly similar except the OEM filter had a big crush in the side, I didn’t crush it so who knows? Also you can see the OEM is slightly dirty.
    5-new-old.jpg

The OEM filter has a 3/16 foam weather strip on both sides and across the back. The new filter does not have this foam but it is readily available at the hardware store, so I added some to my new filter.
    On the photos, yellow highlight indicates the approximate location of the screws and clips.

Here’s a step by step:
    1. Open the glove compartment and remove whatever items you have stored on the “tray”. (Note yellow marks the location of the left side fastening screws)
    1-car-tray.jpg

2. Remove the four screws holding the “tray” inside the glove compartment. Two screws on the left side and two on the right side. Below is a clear photo of the “tray”with the four screws.
    2-tray.jpg

3. Slide the “tray” out of the glove compartment.

4. Straight back you will see a plastic rectangle with one clip at the top and a tab on the right side and a tab on the left side (yellow highlights). Also, the wiring harness is partially obscuring a clear path to this door, so as best you can push the harness out of the way. Releasing the three tabs allows this plastic door to swing down. The door cannot be removed, it simply swings down.
    6-car-closed.jpg

5. You will now see the cabin air filter. NOTE the direction of the arrow. It is important you install your new filter with the arrow going in the same direction. In my SRX the arrow pointed DOWN on the OEM air filter.
    3-filter-exposed.jpg

6. You may need something to poke into the old filter just to get it partially moving straight toward you. Once you expose enough to grab the filter, it slides straight out.

7. I didn’t transfer the old foam strip to my new filter. Instead, I installed a new strip of foam. With the foam installed, slide the new filter into the housing and be sure to note the arrow direction.

8. Close the folded down door being careful to snap all three tabs where they belong.

9. Replace the tray and the four screws.
    Hulk_Mad likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: 2011 SRX Cabin Air Filter Step-by-step with photographs

nice writeup

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Indeed! You should be a tech writer if you're not already.

Thanks to both of you for the kind words. I just hope the photos help someone

frankrizzo135 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance

If the new filter did not have the foam strip ,how can you say it is the same ?

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by frankrizzo135 View Post
    If the new filter did not have the foam strip, how can you say it is the same ?
    I replaced mine a while back with the one below. It also does NOT have the foam strip. It's my belief that they realized the foam strip wasn't really necessary. I swopped them out and saw/heard/felt absolutely no difference. So if you're worried about the difference, don't be.

This really is an easy job with no technical proficiency needed. I would strongly suggest everyone do this one yourself. I believe the dealer charges about $100 for this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cabin...item5d2e819269

Sube

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

I am pretty sure Cadillac replaces these free of charge under warranty for the first four years and up to 50000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by 08SRX View Post
    I am pretty sure Cadillac replaces these free of charge under warranty for the first four years and up to 50000 miles.
    You're correct. I didn't realize this was covered. I just looked it up. Only 2010 owners (like myself) need to worry about changing the cabin air filter. For owners of the 2011 and later this is covered under the Premium Care Maintenance program for 4 years or 50,000 miles.

Sorry you're just getting this news now, 2011_SRX.

http://www.cadillac.com/owners/premi...intenance.html

Sube

smiley47 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon Black Diamond Tri-Coat

Quote Originally Posted by 2011_SRX View Post
    Thanks to both of you for the kind words. I just hope the photos help someone
    Great write up. Was there any way to tell if the old filter was dirty since you only had 7000 miles and one year on the car?

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    You're correct. I didn't realize this was covered. I just looked it up. Only 2010 owners (like myself) need to worry about changing the cabin air filter. For owners of the 2011 and later this is covered under the Premium Care Maintenance program for 4 years or 50,000 miles.

Sorry you're just getting this news now, 2011_SRX.

http://www.cadillac.com/owners/premi...intenance.html

Sube
    I checked on that freebee prior to changing it myself. Per Cadillac’s Premium Care website: http://www.cadillac.com/owners/premi...intenance.html The Passenger compartment air filter replacement is covered “when scheduled in accordance with the owner’s manual”. Page 11-5 in the 2011 SRX Owner Manual recommends “Passenger compartment air filter replacement Every 40,000 km/25,000 Miles or every 24 months whichever comes first.”
    I was willing to spend $19.22 and change it after one year and 7,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by smiley47 View Post
    Great write up. Was there any way to tell if the old filter was dirty since you only had 7000 miles and one year on the car?
    The original filter was dirty enough to warrant replacement in my opinion. The roads around here are muddy so I think a year is a good time to replace it considering the minor cost and it is easy to do.

Page 11-5 in the 2011 SRX Owner Manual recommends “Passenger compartment air filter replacement Every 40,000 km/25,000 Miles or every 24 months whichever comes first.” I was willing to spend $19.22 and change it after one year and 7,000 miles.
    Hmmmm. I smell something fishy here. The '10 and '11 SRX have the same HVAC system. However, in the '10 manual they recommend changing the cabin air filter at 12,000 miles/1 year. I think they changed this recommendation to save them money due to the Premium Care Maintenance program. Either way, like you said, $19.22 is worth spending once a year. It's just odd that their recommendation changes when "they" have to pay for it.

Sube

The original filter was dirty enough to warrant replacement in my opinion. The roads around here are muddy so I think a year is a good time to replace it considering the minor cost and it is easy to do.
    The roads near me are not particularly dirty, but I too felt my filter was dirty enough to be changed after a year. I would not recommend anyone wait two years to change this, especially considering how cheap and easy it is to do. Having a clogged filter decreases air flow as well.

Sube

Quote Originally Posted by smiley47 View Post
    I may not have correctly understood your question. The only way to tell if the old filter is dirty is to remove it. I figured if I went that far I should simply buy a new filter and replace it. The task is certainly easy enough. Sube raised an interesting point. The 2010 manual recommends 12,000mi/1yr. I agree with Sube, the one year interval is what I would recommend. GM stretched it in 2011 because it is "free".

MnMs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX

I have thought that the dirtier the air filter the better it filters but your HVAC will not work as good, no? In my 2012 there is an adjustment on the NAV screen to this filter from normal use to extreme. I guess extreme just means that more air is recycled thru the filter.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.