2012 SRX Luxury headlight question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 2012 SRX Luxury headlight question in Cadillac SRX Forums; First let me say hi to all, I am new to your Forum. Just took ownership of a new 2012 ...
    xchief is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX 2012

2012 SRX Luxury headlight question

First let me say hi to all, I am new to your Forum. Just took ownership of a new 2012 SRX Lux .
    Very nice new car and very happy with the purchase. I am waiting for my fog lights (on back order) and
    knew going in that the headlight low beam is not the greatest, my question is has anyone changed out
    there lamps for silverstars. I did this in my other truck (H-3) on both the headlights and fog with much
    better results. I was just wondering how difficult it is to get at and change the lamps in the SRX and also
    which lamp is the proper replacement H-10 or H-11 , owners manual says H-10 (low beam and fog) but
    that seems questionable for the low beam????
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bwclemons is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Luxury

Re: 2012 SRX Luxury headlight question

The main problem is getting to the drivers side headlight. It requires taking the fuse holder apart to get to the bulbs. It is much easier to take the front bumper off and remove the headlights. It will take about a half an hour to remove the bumper. At that point you may as well put in HID's for a much better light. Removal of the front bumper DIY is in this forum.

Thanks I got that, but does anyone know which lamp size is correct for the low .
    Owners book says H-10 for low and fog. I think that is wrong and should be
    H-11 low and H-10(9145) fog ????

jeff618 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

Arrow Re: 2012 SRX Luxury headlight question

I use solux upgrade halogens. They are not obnoxiously white/blue but they are the color of natural daylight which I like. Much brighter - a big improvement from the standard headlights. The lines on the road seem to "pop" better. Also, they plug right in without a kit...which is nice.

carman603 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX

Jeff, What size bulb ???

srx2012 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury w/ Nav

Hey,

The bulbs are H11. I also changed to the sliverstart Ultra (I think it is H11SU) and they work well and than tried the H9 bulb with slight mod. Just google H11 H9 mod. I returned the sliverstarts, the H9 are just as good and cheaper. They are 10 watts more power but I can't imagine that will be any problem.

I did not remove the bumper to change out the bulbs. I don't see taking the risk of scratching or breaking something removing the bumper for this. The driver side one is a bit tougher but not hard. You will need to remove the fuse box cover (all of 3 seconds) and then you can undo the cap on the blub and get it out (this will only work on the low beam...if another blub than yes you will need to remove the fuse box or bumper). Just requires a bit of wiggling. For the passenger side you will need to remove the air filter housing... again not hard at all. The manual says to undo the connector at the housing but you do not need to. Once you remove the cover just keep the wire connector connected and just place it on top of the engine. Do note there are 3 torx screws to remove, 2 in the air box housing, one under the upper rubber intake which if you just grab and squeeze will pull out of the housing and the 3 or 4 "finger" like holders. The screw is right under that... you will see it. The passenger side is VERY easy to change out once you remove the housing.

What I find is the beam projection is to narrow. After looking at it a while I noted they put covers on the adjusters for the side to side and high beam. If you pull on those covers you can see a "crown gear" there and there has to be a tool they use (a stick with a small gear on the end) to turn that gear which would change the side to side and high beam projection. Why they decided to protect and make this harder to adjust is beyond me.

I am going to ask the dealer first, if not figure out a way to make a little tool to widen my projection.

hope that helps.
    taus

classiccars is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury AWD

That H11 to H9 mod seems to be the way to go. Do you remember what brand and type of H9 bulb you went with? Was it a 5900K temp?
    Are there "Good", "Better", and "Best" when it comes to these H9 bulbs? (65watt, 2100 lumens, at what "K" temp scale.)

Question about the mod: Did you have to remove the little plastic key in the bulb's connector along with trimming a little off one of the stainless steel mounting legs on the bulbs?

classiccars is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury AWD

Quote Originally Posted by srx2012 View Post
    Hey,

What I find is the beam projection is to narrow. After looking at it a while I noted they put covers on the adjusters for the side to side and high beam. If you pull on those covers you can see a "crown gear" there and there has to be a tool they use (a stick with a small gear on the end) to turn that gear which would change the side to side and high beam projection. Why they decided to protect and make this harder to adjust is beyond me.

I am going to ask the dealer first, if not figure out a way to make a little tool to widen my projection.
    After thinking about what you stated, "... beam projection is too narrow..." Maybe that whole setup that you seen was for the "Daytime Running Lights". (DRL)
    I believe the DRL uses the same low beam bulbs with only a lower lumens output. Are they lowering the output by moving the "Gears" that control the bulb loaction or some sort of blockers (Shields)?

Does anyone know how the DRL work along with the low beam bulbs?

Hey,
    Well I spent quite a bit of time on the lights last night . There are 3 adjustments, one which is easy to change since it is right at the top and does not have the shield. This one moves the light up and down. The other is for the high beam and has a shield on it... but to remove you just need to pry it off with a flat screwdriver. Once done just snap it back on. This one moves the brights... I assume up and down.

The third and HARDEST of all is under the low beam and to the outer edge. It also has a shield and you will have to pry it off. This is where taking the bumper off and light would help. It is HARD to get to but can be done. Once I got the shield off, dropped my small socket into the “abyss that is lights” I realized I could twist the adjustment (same as the one for the low beam) by hand little by little. I think the screw must be much finer as it must take a lot more to adjust them left and right. I thought about removing the bumper but decided against it at this time (mostly to get my little socket out).

I actually just bought H9 blubs from the auto store, nothing fancy… they were $15 each. Sylvania H9 65W. I could not find other “fancy” ones there and wanted to see if they compared to the $54 silverstar ultras. If you have a dremel I’d use it. Put a ceramic tile grout bit (fishtail router) on it and grind away the little tab flush in the adaptor. Than just cut about ¼ off the metal tab (you can use the same bit or a cut off wheel coming from under the metal tab so you don’t grind the rubber gasket). The mod really is a 30 second job and the lights work very well. Of course clean off any grinding dust and don’t touch the blub.

I was quite surprised to see how white the color is (actually I could not tell much between the one H9 and one silverstar ultra). They are much better than the OEM halogen blubs.

DRL: The DRL (I assume) are reduced in voltage electronically... the voltage is probably pulsed on/off to give a lower output... or maybe a relay setup. That is the problem (at least one) if you wanted to do HIDs on the car... you have to "trick" it so the HID get the full voltage and run fully all of the time. They are unable to use the pulsing voltage and work. I assume they put plastic sheilds over the adjustment bolt/gear for guys like us... so we don't mess with it

Keep us posted on your thoughts.
    taus

I got to try it tonight and it is much better. I just realized why it took so many more turns... because the light was pointed inwards (duh) from the get-go. Now it shines ahead of me and I don't have a "dead zone" on the driver side. Now to add fogs

Thumbs up Re: 2012 SRX Luxury headlight question

Quote Originally Posted by carman603 View Post
    Jeff, What size bulb ???
    Carman - I did the solux low-beam, high-beam and fogs: https://www.headlights123.com/bulb_d...2010&model=SRX

Cooper10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

On the top headlight adjustment wheel, do you screw in or out to lower headlight beam?

Hey,

I am not in front of it but thinking about the system/piviot points and placement of the screw... I would say clockwise for raising.

It is pretty easy to notice the movement at night and easy enough to undo the change.

Thank for all the info, looks like I will go with the H11 Silverstar Ultra, and the fog
    light kit .

Quote Originally Posted by xchief View Post
    Thank for all the info, looks like I will go with the H11 Silverstar Ultra, and the fog
    light kit .
    The SS Ultras have a shorter life so beware. Thats why I switched to the solux mentioned previously from the ss ultras. Either way you WILL like the improvement.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.