2012 SRX Brakes and Transmission shifter
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 2012 SRX Brakes and Transmission shifter in Cadillac SRX Forums; We recently took delivery of our 2012 SRX AWD Performance Collection and, so far, are quite pleased with it. However, ...
    STL Ron is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX

2012 SRX Brakes and Transmission shifter

We recently took delivery of our 2012 SRX AWD Performance Collection and, so far, are quite pleased with it. However, after our extended test-drive and initial ownership experiences, we have (2) possible areas of concern with the vehicle.
    ** There is an unusual amount of brake pedal travel before the brakes activate; additionally, you must be very careful when
    stopped at a traffic light because the car wants to "creep" forward. We have raised the pedals slightly higher and
    this adjustment seems to help the condition.
    ** When shifting from "Park" to "Drive" it is very easy to inadvertantly shift into the "Sport" or "Manual" mode rather than
    into "Drive". If you consider the natural arm movement of moving the shifter, you tend to move from top right to
    lower left (toward your body) which then puts you into a non-automatic mode. To counteract this action, we are learning to exert
    slight pressure to the right, on the shifter, when shifting in order to correctly move into "Drive". Note that our
    CTS Coupe is designed so that you move the shifter to the RIGHT in order to move into a non-automatic mode; it
    appears that there is a design error in the SRX shifting pattern.

Our dealer's service department has checked both items and reports them to be "normal" with no identified problems.

Has anyone else experienced either of these conditions? If so, how did you resolve them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Maxdmax is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Re: 2012 SRX Brakes and Transmission shifter

Quote Originally Posted by STL Ron View Post
    We recently took delivery of our 2012 SRX AWD Performance Collection and, so far, are quite pleased with it. However, after our extended test-drive and initial ownership experiences, we have (2) possible areas of concern with the vehicle.
    ** There is an unusual amount of brake pedal travel before the brakes activate; additionally, you must be very careful when
    stopped at a traffic light because the car wants to "creep" forward. We have raised the pedals slightly higher and
    ** When shifting from "Park" to "Drive" it is very easy to inadvertantly shift into the "Sport" or "Manual" mode rather than
    into "Drive". If you consider the natural arm movement of moving the shifter, you tend to move from top right to
    lower left (toward your body) which then puts you into a non-automatic mode. To counteract this action, we are learning to exert
    slight pressure to the right, on the shifter, when shifting in order to correctly move into "Drive". Note that our
    CTS Coupe is designed so that you move the shifter to the RIGHT in order to move into a non-automatic mode; it
    appears that there is a design error in the SRX shifting pattern.

Our dealer's service department has checked both items and reports them to be "normal" with no identified problems.

Has anyone else experienced either of these conditions? If so, how did you resolve them?

We have a 2012 SRX premium collection and I have driven it about 700 miles. There was another post here about the brakes being too hard, but our SRX brakes seem firm and the travel is fine on our SRX. On the shifter this has never happened to me so far, it seems to take a bit of effort to get it into the left for manual mode to me, but I normally drive a 6 speed manual car so I am not used to anything being different on an auto.

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by STL Ron View Post
    ... ** There is an unusual amount of brake pedal travel before the brakes activate; additionally, you must be very careful when
    ** When shifting from "Park" to "Drive" it is very easy to inadvertently shift into the "Sport" or "Manual" mode rather than
    into "Drive"

Our dealer's service department has checked both items and reports them to be "normal" with no identified problems.Has anyone else experienced either of these conditions? If so, how did you resolve them?
    I agree with Maxdmax I like my brakes a lot and they are very responsive and don't travel far before they are engaged.

As far as the shifter goes I have had the same travel to the left on my 2010 SRX and it is the same on my 2012 SRX. Since I like to rest my hand on the shift lever I find myself pulling slightly to the left at times so I have to agree it moves very easily to the left and I have on numerous occasions moved it into the manual mode accidentally. I don't know if that is wrong or right but I would probably prefer it to move to the right instead of left. Just my .02

As far as the dealer stated those issues seem to me to be normal characteristics of the SRX model.

Added Note: I just reread your post and perhaps you are shorter than maxdmax and myself. I am 6' 2" and I can reach the brake pedal very easily. I see you adjusted the pedals and brought them closer to you and you experienced it working better for you. Perhaps by you adjusting the distance even closer it would help resolve your sensation of having to press further down to get the brakes to work for you.

Just a thought...

2012Pearl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX 2012, CTS 2011

I agree that you have to press pretty hard to get any braking but I'll get used to it. I also pull it into sport mode often. My Caliber didn't have a straight front to back gear shift- you had to go side to side so it's automatic for me to pull it towards me. I'm sure I'll get used to that as well. It's already getting better.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.