Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Is the 2012 SRX supposed to have hard breaks?

6K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  emikey 
#1 ·
Hello everyone
I just purchased an AWD 2012 Luxury Edition SRX... so far i love the car, but i seem to have two issues that might be normal, but seem odd to me. One, in order to break you have to apply a bit of pressure on the peddle. I have a GMC Acadia and the breaks are super soft so I am not sure if there is something wrong with the car or this is the way the SRX was built. The second question i had was the gas peddle... it seems to vibrate a bit which can get a little bit annoying.. does anyone else have these problems?

Thanks for your help!!

#2 · (Edited)
Hello everyone
I just purchased an AWD 2012 Luxury Edition SRX... so far i love the car, but i seem to have two issues that might be normal, but seem odd to me. One, in order to break you have to apply a bit of pressure on the peddle. I have a GMC Acadia and the breaks are super soft so I am not sure if there is something wrong with the car or this is the way the SRX was built. The second question i had was the gas peddle... it seems to vibrate a bit which can get a little bit annoying.. does anyone else have these problems?

Thanks for your help!!
As far as the SRX brakes feeling harder than your GMC Acadia's brakes it is probably due to the difference in the vehicles lines. Once you get accustomed to the difference you will be fine... I find the brakes on the SRXs to have a perfect balance of pressure and performance.

As far as a vibrating gas pedal I would say have the dealer check it out for you, I don't feel any vibrations at all on either one of my two SRXs. On another note speaking about differences between product models; I was driving a brand new 2011 CTS the other day and the automatic shift knob on the CTS vibrated ever so slightly, it was driving me crazy because I like to place my hand on the SRX's shift knob all the time! BTW: There are ZERO vibrations there. :)

#3 ·
We just bought our 2012 SRX Premium Collection last week, and I don't think I would call the brakes hard at all. If I as going to make a comment about them I would say they may have less pedal depression travel than my other GM cars and trucks. What I am saying is when you press the brake it does not go down very far before it starts to work. When I noted it I thought they probably did this because of all the negative comments about the 2010-11 long pedal travel. I actually like this it give me more confidence in the brakes when driving aggressively. On the accelerator the only thing I might say that could be somewhat different than my other cars is when you push the pedal you need to push it, if you just press it a little the car does not move. I haven't noticed any vibration, but My Wife is going to let me drive it to work today so I will see if I can feel anything, if so I will re-post on this today.

#5 ·
I drove our 2012 SRX about 100 miles or so yesterday. I paid special attention to the brakes and accelerator, you must have something else going on because both worked great. I could not find anything to criticize on our SRX in these 2 areas at all. Again the only thing I really see I could call different at all is you need to push the accelerator somewhat more to get it started going. My daily driver is a 2010 Camaro that I have highly modified which has 616 rear wheel horse power, so the accelerator is a little touchy to say the least. I would bet this is more me going between cars than the SRX LOL. After I got accustom to it it is fine for me.

#8 ·
so i took the car in to the dealer to have the pedal checked yesterday. I got a call today and they told me that this is the way the car drives.. i guess the service manager drove a couple of new cars and they all had a little vibration in the pedal. When I picked up my car, I asked to drive another SRX to see if it's normal and low and hehond the new car had a vibration upon acceleration. I am very consfused, but I will take the dealership for its word. Any thoughts?

#9 ·
i bought the 2012 srx premium this past weekend and immediately thought the same about the breaks and vibration felt through the gas pedal when accelerating in what seems to be first and second gear--at higher speeds, i didn't feel it. i'm going to mention it to the dealer today so i'll see how they respond. my last car was a bmw x5.

#10 ·
The gas pedal seems now to vibrate less after 500 miles - maybe i am just getting used to it. One thing i have noticed is that when i am breaking sometimes i feel a light vibration in the car.. it's almost hard to notice, but i have definitely felt it waiting for a red light to change. According to my dealer the acceleration vibration is normal.. the head of the service department let me drive his 2012 SRX and it has the same issue. Let me know what your dealer says.

#11 ·
The gas pedal seems now to vibrate less after 500 miles - maybe i am just getting used to it. One thing i have noticed is that when i am breaking sometimes i feel a light vibration in the car.. it's almost hard to notice, but i have definitely felt it waiting for a red light to change. According to my dealer the acceleration vibration is normal.. the head of the service department let me drive his 2012 SRX and it has the same issue. Let me know what your dealer says.
Does the entire car vibrate while braking, or is the vibration felt in the steering wheel and/or brake pedal only? If it's the latter, that's a classic symptom of warped rotors. The vibration you feel while waiting for a red light to change, is this in the brake pedal or the whole car?

I can't think of any scenario where a vibration during acceleration would be considered normal. Even though your service department guy has the same issue with his SRX, that doesn't necessarily mean this is a normal condition. It could merely be the same defect replicated in another vehicle. If this is some kind of design defect or a defective part, it would be prevalent in more than just your 2012 SRX. Go with your gut feeling on this. If your heart tells you this doesn't feel right, you're probably correct. Don't be swayed by a service dept trying to pass this off as normal. You could also test drive another SRX at a different dealership. They don't need to know you own one. Just go in as a prospective customer. If that one displays the same symptoms, that would lend more credence to their claims of this being normal.

Sube

#12 ·
Does the entire car vibrate while braking, or is the vibration felt in the steering wheel and/or brake pedal only? If it's the latter, that's a classic symptom of warped rotors. The vibration you feel while waiting for a red light to change, is this in the brake pedal or the whole car?
Can a car with 660 miles have warped rotors? It's mostly the steering wheel and breaks... You think I should take it in?

#13 ·
Can a car with 660 miles have warped rotors?
Absolutely! If you come home from a drive that involved aggressive braking and immediately wash the car, spraying cold water on smoking hot rotors, they can warp. Warped rotors are not always the result of an accumulative effect.

You think I should take it in?
Absolutely! I'm inclined to believe this is something other than the rotors. Reason being, you stated you experience this even when the car is stationary. The 2012 has a different braking system than the '10 and '11. There's always the possibility that a problem was introduced in the redesign. I don't want to start a panic here. At this early stage, making that assumption would be premature and purely speculative. I'm just saying that the possibility does exist. That's one more reason you should take it in. This is how they develop fixes.....from customer feedback.

I've been on here almost from the beginning and I've never heard anyone mention a mysterious vibration like this. If all 2nd gen SRXs did this, I think other people would have inquired about it before now.

Sube

#18 · (Edited)
i bought the 2012 srx premium this past weekend and immediately thought the same about the breaks and vibration felt through the gas pedal when accelerating in what seems to be first and second gear--at higher speeds, i didn't feel it. i'm going to mention it to the dealer today so i'll see how they respond. my last car was a bmw x5.
What did the dealer tell you??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.