Idle question and other flutter noise question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Idle question and other flutter noise question in Cadillac SRX Forums; I will preface this with the statement that I know nothing about cars so please forgive me if this is ...
    cadigirlchicago2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

Idle question and other flutter noise question

I will preface this with the statement that I know nothing about cars so please forgive me if this is a dumb question.

My 2010 Luxury has been weird for the past month or two. I see that the RPM's are at around 500 but every so often if I'm at a light stopped it will shutter and the whole car shakes for a split second, then the RPM's adjust and everything is back to normal and steady again. Anyone know what this is or if it's cause for concern?

I have also complained about this flutter type noise and it's back - not sure if it's because I'm not using the A/C since it's chilly in chicago again but the noise is coming from the front. It sounds like someone is fluttering a deck of cards, it does this for like a second or two, stops, then comes back again. All air circulation systems are off. I mentioned this to the dealer and he said it was a normal noise and to ignore it. It is making me CRAZY! I don't think it's normal. I have read that some of you are going into the dash from underneath and playing around with something there - I'd have to dig up the thread again but do you guys think it's an easy fix? If someone can please post the thread link for me and I'll check tonight.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

Re: Idle question and other flutter noise question

Quote Originally Posted by cadigirlchicago2 View Post
    I will preface this with the statement that I know nothing about cars so please forgive me if this is a dumb question.

My 2010 Luxury has been weird for the past month or two. I see that the RPM's are at around 500 but every so often if I'm at a light stopped it will shutter and the whole car shakes for a split second, then the RPM's adjust and everything is back to normal and steady again. Anyone know what this is or if it's cause for concern?

I have also complained about this flutter type noise and it's back - not sure if it's because I'm not using the A/C since it's chilly in chicago again but the noise is coming from the front. It sounds like someone is fluttering a deck of cards, it does this for like a second or two, stops, then comes back again. All air circulation systems are off. I mentioned this to the dealer and he said it was a normal noise and to ignore it. It is making me CRAZY! I don't think it's normal. I have read that some of you are going into the dash from underneath and playing around with something there - I'd have to dig up the thread again but do you guys think it's an easy fix? If someone can please post the thread link for me and I'll check tonight.

Thanks!
    That is not normal and is an issue for concern. It seems like you are in the chicago area, if you can I suggest you go to Naperville Cadillac and ask for B.J the assistant service manager. Tell him you heard about the dealer and him from the forums. Thats about the best cadillac dealer in the chicago land area and a couple of us high hp cts-v owners use that dealership. Again, the issue you're having is not normal and the dealer you're going to sucks and most likely is giving you a hard time because you're a femme. Hope that helps

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Thanks!
    Neither of these issues sound normal to me. I can all but guarantee the first one isn't. And how can your dealer diagnose the "deck of cards" sound without even hearing it? Let me make a few suggestions. First, other than for routine service (oil changes, tire rotation, etc.), deal exclusively with the Service Manager, not just a clerk in the service dept. Get to know him/her well. They need to be aware of everything that's going on with your vehicle. Second, try to pinpoint exactly when these problems occur. That way you'll be able to replicate the problems more quickly when you take it in. Third, tell your service manager you'd like to bring the car in to have it diagnosed. Tell them you want to ride in the car with the service technician so you can point out the problem. When you have a sporadic problem, if you're not with them to point it out they'll drive it for a short period of time. If the problem doesn't appear quickly, they'll report back that everything's working normally. Then, they'll make it sound like you're imagining things. If they tell you it's normal, tell them you'll like to hear the noise in a new SRX on their lot.

Personally, I would not be crawling around under the dash to fix anything. That's what you have a warranty for.

Good luck!

Sube

Awesome tips! Thanks everyone! My closest dealer is Weil Cadillac in Libertyville so I'd have to go there. I ATTEMPTED to take it to Foley Cadillac in Northbrook for that steering wheel grinding noise and they claimed they had never heard of that before so I wasn't too inclined to take it to them.

I did have the service guy listen to the car when it was making the "deck of cards" flutter noise and he said it was the air exchange system and that it was normal. It does this when the car first starts up, or when I've driven it for hours. I have to get it looked at again because quite frankly it's annoying. I'm not sure on the RPM shutter that's just started but yes, will have to have that looked at as well. And last, you are all right probably because I"m a girl they think I'm stupid and can snow ball me - but....that's why I have you guys to turn to - always have great info here!! Thanks alot for the responses and I'll contact the service manager like it was suggested.

smiley47 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon Black Diamond Tri-Coat

You can take it to any dealer you wish. I'd try to follow Razor's suggestion since he seems impressed with their service. If that dealer is inconvenient for you (work, time etc) maybe you have a real good retired friend who has some time on his hands who could take it there for you. Even better would be a retired friend who knows cars and can express himself firmly but friendly.

If the shaking happens again before you can take it in, the second you notice shaking press the blue OnStar button immediately. There may be a code that shows up in the DIC. Write that number down and it will help them diagnose the problem.

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

Awesome tips! Thanks everyone! My closest dealer is Weil Cadillac in Libertyville so I'd have to go there. I ATTEMPTED to take it to Foley Cadillac in Northbrook for that steering wheel grinding noise and they claimed they had never heard of that before so I wasn't too inclined to take it to them.

I did have the service guy listen to the car when it was making the "deck of cards" flutter noise and he said it was the air exchange system and that it was normal. It does this when the car first starts up, or when I've driven it for hours. I have to get it looked at again because quite frankly it's annoying. I'm not sure on the RPM shutter that's just started but yes, will have to have that looked at as well. And last, you are all right probably because I"m a girl they think I'm stupid and can snow ball me - but....that's why I have you guys to turn to - always have great info here!! Thanks alot for the responses and I'll contact the service manager like it was suggested.
    Weil in Libertyville was my first dealer. They didnt help me much with anything honestly. I would be very suprised if they go any further than the previous dealer went. If it doesnt work out for you call B.J. in Naperville and tell him your symptoms, ask him if there are any TSB's for your VIN # srx and he should be able to tell you right away if its a known issue.

cadigirlchicago2,

I found the below info on one of your problems. As far as the steering wheel noise, there have been others on here with the same problem. If I remember correctly, there were some parts inside the steering column that were not lubricated from the factory. Give this info to your service dept as a starting point. If I don't work for GM and I'm able to find this stuff, you'd think they'd at least know about it.

Sube

2007-2011 SRX

Intermittent engine hesitation or flutter without DTCs

Fix: Correct camshaft position sensor - bank 1 exhaust or bank 1 intake harness connector terminals

Reference Information / Bulletin Number: PI0090C

2004 - 2011 SRX

Intermittent engine hesitation or flutter without DTC

Fix: Inspect and correct intake CMP sensor bank 1 connector terminals for intermittent conditions or poor connection

Reference Information / Bulletin Number: PI0090B

Thanks Sube, I did have the steering wheel noise fixed months ago...guess I won't know if it's truly fixed until the cold weather comes again. Well, unfortunately, I'm stuck going to Weil, I just can't be driving all over and Weil is closest to my home and were we purchased from. I will just have to put the pressure on them and if they tell me that flutter noise is "normal" I will have them take me to a new SRX, sit inside and listen for the noise - I'm very confident this is not a NORMAL noise.

I'm wondering about the suggestion about pushing the blue onstar button, stupid question but that is just going to dial into the onstar network to get me an advisor for directions....am I missing something?

I have been closely watching the idle issue, it's all the time, on start up etc...it's just a faint flutter of the needle but you can def. feel it in the car when it's not steady. I hope they aren't going to try to sell me on a tune up or something, I have aprox 30500 miles so far. Is it maybe just time for a tune up? Never done anything except for the routine oil changes so far.

As always, I really appreciate the help here! You guys are awesome!

I'm wondering about the suggestion about pushing the blue onstar button, stupid question but that is just going to dial into the onstar network to get me an adviser for directions....am I missing something?
    Actually, OnStar does a whole lot more than just give directions. Part of the service includes "Vehicle Diagnostics". It analyzes multiple vehicle components and sends the info back to OnStar. OnStar then sends you a monthly email listing your vehicle's status. However, they can also do an on-demand vehicle diagnostics at your request.

You're not due for a tune up for quite a while. It might benefit you to get familiar with the maintenance section of you owner's manual. That way you'll know at which mileage intervals you're due for specific services. If fact, I would recommend you read through the owner's manual in general. The more informed you are when talking to your service dept., the less likely they are to try to take advantage of you. I've had my SRX for almost two years now. When I bought it, no one at the dealer knew very much about the car. I made it a point to educate myself on all of the car's features. I ended up explaining a lot of things to the service manager himself. From that point on, they knew they couldn't just tell me anything and I'd swallow it. Knowledge is power.

http://www.onstar.com/web/portal/planspricing

Watch these two videos:

http://www.onstar.com/web/portal/ovdexplore

Sube

WOW! Awesome, I'll have to review over the weekend! Thanks Sube!!!

Just a short update - the slight shake was happening again this week so I pressed the blue onstar button. They ran a diagnostic but unfortunately, nothing came up. Guess my next step is taking it to the dealership.....

Off to the dealership tomorrow morning bright and early. I took your advice and called to speak to the service manager. I told him what was going on so he's aware and he told me which service guy to see. I just posted a thank you for helping me with the flutter noise....I'm wondering if my rough idle issue has anything to do with that sudden stalling problem some members have reported. When the RPM's guage flutters and the car shakes, it has sometimes felt like it wants to stall, never has YET. Any other tips before I go tomorrow would be great! If not, I have printed some service bulletin #'s for possible issues for them to check out as well. I'm trying......

That's great. If you're able to, it would help if you could actually ride in the car with them and point out the problem when it appears. I've found that when you have a sporadic problem and they test drive the car without you, it never fails that the car will drive flawlessly. If you can't be there with them, take down your mileage. This will tell you have far they drove your car in an attempt to reproduce the problem. This is supposed to be recorded on your invoice, but sometimes they only record the mileage "in" and not "out". If they only drive two miles, how hard are they trying to replicate your issue? When you pick the car up don't just let them give you the invoice and send you on your way. Tell them you want to have a sit down with the Service Manager. Have him/her discuss in detail exactly what was done to your car. Ask lots of questions and make sure you have a thorough understanding of their explanations.

Keep us all posted on your results. Good Luck!

Sube

Rats, of course I didn't check for replies until AFTER I dropped off the car. Well, I was able to replicate the flutter noise immediately so that's great. The idle thing,he's not sure. He said citgo gas isn't the best, that I should stick with BP or Shell Regular. He pulled up the GM site on this computer and put in 2010 Cadillac SRX and about 30 bulletins came up on the car just for today! He said that's constant for them.....I wish we had access to that info....I'd love to read up on that stuff. How do you guys find the service bulletin #'s and info? Funny, they gave me a 2011 SRX as a loaner and the car made the EXACT same flutter noise. I did the replication trick on that car as well and the noise started up. I guess it is pretty widespread. Well, I hope it gets fixed and goes away, the noise makes me insane.

The service manager came over and introduced himself so it was a good tip to call him first and tell him what was going on. I think I'll do that going forward.

Will keep you all updated on if this fixes the problems or not.

smiley47 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon Black Diamond Tri-Coat

Citgo gas isn't good for several reasons.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.