Idle question and other flutter noise question - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Idle question and other flutter noise question in Cadillac SRX Forums; not really suprising =/...
    Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

Re: Idle question and other flutter noise question

not really suprising =/

cadigirlchicago2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

It would appear that I'm not out of the woods yet. We drove the car alot today and the idle shake happened again. Wasn't enough to trigger another check engine light but still, something is still wrong. Since I had a defective #1 coil and they said they replaced the spark plug just as a precaution - are there other #'s of coils that could be causing this issue? Anyone got any brilliant ideas? ugh. I was really hoping that this was taken care of...I guess not.

Cooper10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

How many miles are on the Vehicle?
    1- Drive vehicle until fuel tank is almost empty/ water may be tank. Full fuel tank with 10 gallons of Chevron premium
    2- Find a road where you can drag race a few times/ full throttle acceleraton to 75 mph.
    3- This may clean out the injectors and unfoul the spark plugs and reset the engine timing.
    4- Onboard computer learns your driving habits and programs for high performance driving.

My 2010 SRX Luxury had this low idle flutter and the above steps made it go away.

Quote Originally Posted by cadigirlchicago2 View Post
    It would appear that I'm not out of the woods yet. We drove the car alot today and the idle shake happened again. Wasn't enough to trigger another check engine light but still, something is still wrong. Since I had a defective #1 coil and they said they replaced the spark plug just as a precaution - are there other #'s of coils that could be causing this issue? Anyone got any brilliant ideas? ugh. I was really hoping that this was taken care of...I guess not.
    Like I said, one defective plug could have fouled out other ones. It sucks that the dealer is doing the bare minimum instead of going further and taking the extra steps. I guess it could be worse though and could deny that the issue is still there. Sounds like they should pull all the plugs and check them and than volt check the wires/coils make sure the whole ignition system is running properly. Than put in some BG injector cleaner in there and see how it is after a few miles

Quote Originally Posted by Razorecko View Post
    Like I said, one defective plug could have fouled out other ones. It sucks that the dealer is doing the bare minimum instead of going further and taking the extra steps. I guess it could be worse though and could deny that the issue is still there. Sounds like they should pull all the plugs and check them and than volt check the wires/coils make sure the whole ignition system is running properly. Than put in some BG injector cleaner in there and see how it is after a few miles
    Thanks! I don't think I have the patience to go back to them again. I just can't take one more far out there story/excuse. I might try Foley which is closer to my work and see how that goes first before making the hike to the other dealership that was suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper10 View Post
    How many miles are on the Vehicle?
    1- Drive vehicle until fuel tank is almost empty/ water may be tank. Full fuel tank with 10 gallons of Chevron premium
    2- Find a road where you can drag race a few times/ full throttle acceleraton to 75 mph.
    3- This may clean out the injectors and unfoul the spark plugs and reset the engine timing.
    4- Onboard computer learns your driving habits and programs for high performance driving.

My 2010 SRX Luxury had this low idle flutter and the above steps made it go away.
    Hi
    I just hit over 34,000. I just drove the car to almost empty as well so I'm guessing that's not my issue. We drove 6 hrs yesterday on the expressway at high speeds so I would hope that would have cleaned it out. Then when we got back into the suburbs the issue showed itself again. My husband was driving so I'm glad it happened for him to see it and feel it.

paid4c4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX/AWD Premium

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    Actually, OnStar does a whole lot more than just give directions. Part of the service includes "Vehicle Diagnostics". It analyzes multiple vehicle components and sends the info back to OnStar. OnStar then sends you a monthly email listing your vehicle's status. However, they can also do an on-demand vehicle diagnostics at your request.

You're not due for a tune up for quite a while. It might benefit you to get familiar with the maintenance section of you owner's manual. That way you'll know at which mileage intervals you're due for specific services. If fact, I would recommend you read through the owner's manual in general. The more informed you are when talking to your service dept., the less likely they are to try to take advantage of you. I've had my SRX for almost two years now. When I bought it, no one at the dealer knew very much about the car. I made it a point to educate myself on all of the car's features. I ended up explaining a lot of things to the service manager himself. From that point on, they knew they couldn't just tell me anything and I'd swallow it. Knowledge is power.

http://www.onstar.com/web/portal/planspricing

Watch these two videos:

http://www.onstar.com/web/portal/ovdexplore

Sube
    Sube, you hit a home run with knowledge is power, especially when dealing with dealer service departments. I took my last car to the dealer for a transmission re-flash and was told there was no re-flash. I then handed them the Service Bulletin and ask to see the Service Manager for a "lets get on the same team discussion." I never had another problem with service at that dealership. I have found you get the service you demand and don't settle for the "Stealership Hustle." Know your car, know your service manager and know you dealership manager and don't be afraid to go to the next level if you get that "deer in the headlights" look from the service staff. Just because it says Cadillac doesn't mean its good, I've owned a Cadillac diesel, a Deville 4.1 L, 8-6-4, and a Deville with a V6. The diesel was junk, the 4.1L required a head gasket or short block with every other oil change, the 8-6-4 didn't know how many cylinders to use ever, and the V6 required a quart of oil with each fuel fill up. I'm back as a Cadillac customer after research and thinking maybe they finally have it right, we'll see.
    Bill

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Quote Originally Posted by paid4c4 View Post
    Sube, you hit a home run with knowledge is power, especially when dealing with dealer service departments. I took my last car to the dealer for a transmission re-flash and was told there was no re-flash. I then handed them the Service Bulletin and ask to see the Service Manager for a "lets get on the same team discussion." I never had another problem with service at that dealership. I have found you get the service you demand and don't settle for the "Stealership Hustle." Know your car, know your service manager and know you dealership manager and don't be afraid to go to the next level if you get that "deer in the headlights" look from the service staff. Just because it says Cadillac doesn't mean its good, I've owned a Cadillac diesel, a Deville 4.1 L, 8-6-4, and a Deville with a V6. The diesel was junk, the 4.1L required a head gasket or short block with every other oil change, the 8-6-4 didn't know how many cylinders to use ever, and the V6 required a quart of oil with each fuel fill up. I'm back as a Cadillac customer after research and thinking maybe they finally have it right, we'll see.
    Bill
    Bill,

You are clearly a LOT more patient than I am. After all that you went through with all those different Cadillacs, I'm totally amazed that you would return to that brand and "take your chances" again. I told a coworker the other day of all the things that have had to be fixed on my 2010 SRX with 10,500 miles and his comment was that he would never buy another one after all that.

I hope you have good luck with this one. I think I'm moving on to some other brand when I make my next auto purchase.

paid4c4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX/AWD Premium

I just hope I don't regret getting another Infiniti FX35, I'm being open minded. We'll see.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by paid4c4 View Post
    I just hope I don't regret getting another Infiniti FX35, I'm being open minded. We'll see.
    Bill
    I've had two Infinitis and one Nissan and had not an ounce of problems with any of them. I've never owned the FX series though.

yea gotta admit. My 2001 Infiniti qx4 was a beast. I was hard as heck on that vehicle and in the whole 35k miles I owned it only an 02 sensor went out. That was it.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorecko View Post
    yea gotta admit. My 2001 Infiniti qx4 was a beast. I was hard as heck on that vehicle and in the whole 35k miles I owned it only an 02 sensor went out. That was it.
    Hey! I had that model as well and finally traded it in on my SRX. It had 80K miles on it and barely a scratch. The thing was flawless the whole time I owned it. I would have gone with Infiniti for round 3 except they really didn't have anything that appealed to me. IMHO, the FX/EX series are not my style.

Could it be the cam shaft? If there's a problem with that, would it cause the coil and spark plug to fail?

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux

It may well be the cam shaft sensor or something, but the real big question is why are you left to diagnose it and with what experience?

Here's my random thoughts on this and other similar issues:
    I will always try and gather as much info as I can for the dealer, but its doubtful I can come close to whats in the OBD. Computers monitoring computers, and if there is anything out of spec, its been my experience it WILL get caught.
    Premium gas, not necessary UNLESS its for some special detergent (which probably isnt all that special). 20 years ago, Mobil only put detergent in Premium, but chevron puts it in all levels, if I recall. Stick to the top tier brands indicated by the manual (toptiergas.com) and regular. 34k miles is awful soon to be having injector problems, even from the crappiest brand.
    The dealer is only going to do what the warranty allows or he will eat the cost. If the coils pass the diagnostics, there's not much more he can do. We dont really live in a world of diagnosing and 'fixing it' anymore. We let the computer diagnose and swap out whatever the book says. Too many digital signals and low voltage sensors to do any real troubleshooting.
    Its not water, that takes several hours to settle out after driving, and a long trip would actually help run it all through.

I know you've tried the dealer, it just seems its time to switch again, or get someone there who is genuinely interested to sit down and try and figure it out. It actually takes a bit to get to that guy tho. He's not the one sitting at the desk when you walk in. Their best troubleshooter is going to be busy, but he's probably just begging for a challenge.

I had the same thing happen to me about a week after I got mine (which would make it about 2 weeks ago) but it was only once and not since. Either THAT computer isnt doing its job, or it was just a transient that didnt exceed values. I think there are some codes that will store in the computer, but not trip the CEL.

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    Hey! I had that model as well and finally traded it in on my SRX. It had 80K miles on it and barely a scratch. The thing was flawless the whole time I owned it. I would have gone with Infiniti for round 3 except they really didn't have anything that appealed to me. IMHO, the FX/EX series are not my style.
    ha same here, the fx doesnt have the comfort the qx4 had for me

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.