Idle question and other flutter noise question - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Idle question and other flutter noise question in Cadillac SRX Forums; http://toptiergas.com...
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Idle question and other flutter noise question

http://toptiergas.com
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

cadigirlchicago2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

Well, not much to report yet. They called and said they wanted to keep the vehicle over night and see if they can replicate the unsteady idle on a cold start. Apparently they have fixed the flutter noise with the bulletin you guys posted. The 2011 SRX loaner they gave me has a back up camera - that was a cool suprise when I was leaving work today since my luxury doesn't have that feature. That was the only extra I could find to play around with on the car. Hopefully I have my beauty back tomorrow fully fixed. I wonder if it's just a bad fuel sensor?

I'm annoyed. I just heard back from service. They said they drove the car today and that the flutter on the idle is just something Im going to see from time to time depending on the type of gas I put in and there's really nothing to do. They also said that they completed the service bulletin for that flutter noise which he says is the vents inside the dash and the compressor opening etc to control the air temp. He said he put the temp to 90, let it run at 90 degrees for a minute or two and put it back down to 75 and the noise was happening again. He said if we replace anything it means taking the dash apart and that's a whole other can of worms as far as noises/squeeks etc. He said he wouldn't do it if it were his car. He said he also compared mine to another customers 2010 that was in service and he claims hers is much more noisy than mine regarding the flutter noise. I can't help but say I'm beyond annoyed and disapointed. I went thru these stupid noises with an old Jetta that I had and I told him that I bought a cadillac because I thought I was buying better quality. He didn't really have any answers for me. This is SOOO annoying. I guess I'm back to square one. Now what??
    Live with it?

Can you take a video and post to youtube so we can see (hear really) what you're talking about?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    Can you take a video and post to youtube so we can see (hear really) what you're talking about?
    Totally not being lazy but you can replicate it by putting the air system on AUTO and moving the temp arrow up/down, the flutter is like someone flicking a deck or cards. Annoying!
    The service department just called to say the car is ready and that according to cadillac, all of them make this noise and to basically live with it. BOO!

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Caddygirl.......you will prevail if you make it so. Go back to the dealer and sit in one of the 2010 pre-owned ones on the lot to see if what they say is true about the noise, that "they all do it." Bet they all don't. Then ask them why, if they all do it, and this one doesn't. "Is the quiet one I'm sitting in abnormal or broken? Let's try another one just for fun." Of course it is not normal. Their bluff is called. Then tell them to try another stupid excuse. If you really want to get focused, suggest they take your SRX to the next closest Cadillac dealership, let them fix it, and have it brought back and waiting for you where you dropped it off, with them.

I guess you may also have to consider a change horses/dealerships and take on the added inconvenience of the back and forth. Not all dealerships are created equal.

I paid about $2,000 more for my CPO GenI SRX at a dealership that was further from my home in order to get the service expertise I KNEW the further one that I chose could deliver. And they have. If you are like me, you want to have your car serviced where you bought it because you assume they want you to bring it to them for service now, and especially after it falls off warranty. Moreover, they want a repeat customer when you are ready for a trade and a newer Cadillac. Etc.

I had an advantage up front, a trusted friend I see every week who works at a competing Cadillac dealership even further away than the one I ultimately chose. He couldn't get his hands on what I was looking for, so I asked him point blank: "Other than your dealership, which one(s) is/are the next best in ironing out service issues on the first pass." He KNEW. I took his recommendation (they had exactly what I was looking for) and paid the piper the premium just to get the dealership I wanted and the start of a relationship I knew was going to span a few years.

So you have some choices in front of you. Lean on your dealer and don't relent, moving up the chain of command. Live with the total annoyance/aggravation and stick with your dealer. Or change to one of the dealers that others have highly recommended in earlier posts.

After paying what you paid, I personally couldn't live with the annoyance. Let me rephrase that....I would refuse to live with the annoyance. And I have met two dealership General Managers in my time. Just the hint that this will be your next step may be enough for the service manager to make sure this gets sqaured away in short order, whatever it takes..

If you have to take it to another dealership, worst case, you get your issue fixed NOW and then return to the dealer closer to your home down the road. Personally I usually stand fast with the dealer where I bought the car. I have had to change dealerships only once over the course of four decades, but the car got fixed. Then I went back to "my" dealership to show them what had been done and to press the point.....that they have some soul searching to do if they plan to stay in business and retain the business they do have. I can go anywhere.

Here's a thought. You said you said you were not fond of the idea of having your dash being torn apart. But I would seriously consider what your service tech at your own dealer mentioned...... tearing apart your dash to fix the problem. Was that to get rid of you because they couldn't sort out the problem? If they have to disaasemblt things a bit to get at the fix, I would leave them with one caveat: "I expect to get my SRX back fixed and in precisely the same pristine cosmetic condition in which I dropped it off. No less."

Regarding the treatment of women at a car dealership. Yes, they do treat women differently. No, they don't treat men with more respect. They just blow a different color smoke, the good old boy/pals smoke. In the end, the customer, female or male, winds up with the same unsatisfactory results, if we let them. Our responsibility, female or male, is not to be an ASE certified mechanic, figure out the solution, and then TELL THEM how to fix things with printouts from a forum or the pertinent Technical Service Bulletins.

If you are anything like my wife, they WILL figure out how fix the car correctly and WON'T want to see you again, even for a new scratch they inflicted or smudge mark they added to the carpet when fixing your issue.

She may be blond, but I saw my future wife in action before we got married, when she was receiving the same type of runaround and condescending attitude right after she bought her first new car. It was delivered with screwed up weatherstripping and an 8-way power seat that wasn't working properly.

I was with her and for once wisely kept my mouth shut when she exploded in front of crowd of other customers. "If this driver's seat is 8-way and only four adjustments can be made, and you call THAT normal, then why do all 8-way adjustments work on the passengers' seat.....and on all of the other freakin cars like mine on the lot!?"

Needless to say, the cause was found, the dealership made things right, her car got fixed, picked it up (yes, all was fixed), and upon her arrival at her home she found a fruit basket on her front porch with a bottle of champagne and an apology note from the service manager. True story. I still married her.

Morale of the story. Expect what you deserve and accept nothing less. And never send a man to do a woman's work.

PJ
    stevec5375 and stevec5375 like this.

maybe contact Cadillac Customer Care on the forum and see what they can do to help you?

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

Quote Originally Posted by cadigirlchicago2 View Post
    Totally not being lazy but you can replicate it by putting the air system on AUTO and moving the temp arrow up/down, the flutter is like someone flicking a deck or cards. Annoying!
    The service department just called to say the car is ready and that according to cadillac, all of them make this noise and to basically live with it. BOO!
    Sounds like the actuator. Sounds like paper is flapping inside the vents. Naperville fixed it for me no prob. Like I said before Weil cadillac is sub-par and lazy when it comes to service. ESPECIALLY to warranty work. Like I said before. Alot of dealerships are sub-par and you'll have to drive to get things done.

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

cadigirlchicago2, did you give them the bulletin nos. I posted earlier in this thread?

The website below has a list of dealers in your area and their rating. Your dealer only has one customer rating, and that one is negative. The dealers that are "DealerRater Certified" are bound to a much higher standard as noted below. I'm a firm believer that the dealer you purchased the car from has an obligation to make things right. However, if they're incompetent you may be better off looking elsewhere, at least for this problem.

"This dealership is a DealerRater.com Certified Dealer and is committed to providing quality customer service. As a Certified Dealer, (insert name here) has the opportunity to contact reviewers that had unsatisfactory experiences at their dealership. Contact may be made privately, without giving out anyone's email address, through the DealerRater.com Message Panel with the goal to resolve any issues the reviewer experienced. Reviews will automatically post after the two week reconciliation period has ended."

http://www.dealerrater.com/directory/Illinois/Cadillac/

Sube

Hi Everyone! Thanks so much for the replies since this afternoon. I will try to answer everything from above.

I feel like since I purchased the car at Weil, I need to stick with them. I always was told you have more "power" at the place you purchased the vehicle from. Yes, Sube, I did copy/paste the service bulletin info and excerpts from the forum post here and gave them the sheet of paper noting everything. I even put in the part about how to replicate the noise by turning it on Auto and moving the arrow up/down. I don't think that I'm being unreasonable in wanting this noise fixed. It's annoying. I do sort of see what they are saying in taking apart the dash could "open up a new can of worms" creating other noises that weren't there before. As much as I didn't like hearing it, it does make sense. I want to be a "big girl" about this and still be satisfied. I checked my service sheet and it says the following:

1. A c/s when driving or changing climate control functions a ticking or ratcheting noise from dash when when not adjusting climate control it keeps ticking at times. PI0092. Cause: E4398 error for reprogramming. D4707 call TAC E4398 for programing OK. TAC says normal actuator motor noise.

2. Intermittently at idle engine idles at 500 RMP and feels like it's going to die. 9996 checks ok, no codes

I asked to speak to the service manager and he swore up down and around that they called TAC and the flutter noise is normal and there is nothing else they can do for me. The engine RPM issue - they say it's the blend of gasoline.

ha ha - I sound like your wife for sure, I stand my ground and though I'm a girl, I don't let anyone push me around. I foundly like to refer to myself in certain situations as a pitbull with lipstick! I want to pursue this and have my car perfect. Am I just being un realistic and do all cars just make some noise or another that I should just learn to live with?
    I guess since the 2011 SRX they gave me as a loaner did the same flutter noise,it does seem like all of them do it. This rental also did the engine shake thing 1x as well. I don't know what to think or do at this point. I'm not lazy and would take it to naperville if I knew they would fix it....just seems like a long drive for a gamble. I do like speaking to the GM though....might be a good next step.
    The service manager did say after I pushed him that other members on this forum had the service bulletin performed and they don't have the noise - he said to find out exactly what else they had done and he'd gladly do it.
    I'm positive they did NOT remove my center council to do this bulletin - I think it was in the dash somewhere.

The biggest annoyance of the day......the idiots set a memory on #1 for my seat setting - WHY would they do that??? My seat was totally messed up....took me the whole drive home screwing around up, down, recline, to get it close but not perfect. Now, that was uncalled for that they did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorecko View Post
    Sounds like the actuator. Sounds like paper is flapping inside the vents. Naperville fixed it for me no prob. Like I said before Weil cadillac is sub-par and lazy when it comes to service. ESPECIALLY to warranty work. Like I said before. Alot of dealerships are sub-par and you'll have to drive to get things done.
    Ok, if my dealer did the service bulletin for this fix and it didn't work....wouldn't the other dealership that was suggested just do the exact same bulletin?

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

Ok, if my dealer did the service bulletin for this fix and it didn't work....wouldn't the other dealership that was suggested just do the exact same bulletin?
    From what I read they just tried to re-program something. Like I said, they are lazy at any type of warranty work. You actually need a new physical actuator motor. My dealership when they replaced mine said that the new 2012's have a re-designed actuator that does not have this problem. He said he'd put it on order for me to replace in the future but in the mean time he replaced mine that was making the noise with a new actuator. It fixed the issue and he told me certain parts nowadays are hard to get out of gm because of production so I might have to wait for a while for the 2012 unit. For now i'm happy I got it replaced and its quiet as can be. If you take it to another dealer thats reasonable they should be able to REALLY fix the issue for you not do a runaround. Its easier for them to fudge with some software for 5 minutes and say its fine than do 2hours of warranty work. Thats how they make more money.

The last time I was at weil for service was when the supercharger in my 2009 cts-v was making noise. I knew exactly what the noise was. It is a common problem among us V2 owners. Its an isolator on the supercharger that rattles and eventually wears out. I wanted to see if I could get it replaced under warranty because in 30-40k it would eat up the supercharger. They told me that the ticking noise ( loud ticking noise a bad isolator makes ) which they also heard was the sound of the fuel injectors firing off....?!?! If I can diagnose the issue and the dealer can't even agree with me I walk because its a waste of time. Ive had tons of vehicles across the years and dealt with numerous dealerships and you DO NOT have more power at the dealer you bought your car from. Service and Sales are two different departments.

Thanks Razor!

I'm going to call your dealer next week and speak to the guy you suggested in service. If I reference the forum will he know what I'm talking about? I'm still concerned about my engine shaking. It just seems overall that it's running rough still. I'm just a hair over 30K miles.....the only maintenance I have done is oil changes and 2 tire rotations. I still need to read the manual as Sube suggested - just been busy with no time. Is it time for a tune up perhaps?

Just called the dealer and spoke to the guy I was working with in service. He said they did a REPROGRAM and not a replace. I guess that's the issue. I need to have the REPLACMENT actuator. He insists that they have to do what TAC tells them to do and that for this model this is normal. I'm not buying it. I mentioned this 2012 actuator and he was all up in arms about it saying that the parts might not be inter changeable. He really seems threatened by the fact I'm getting information from this forum. His comment was that oh, the people on the forum are dangerous because they are posting information out there and then you as a customer take it as gold and expect that to be the fix when it might not. Whatever. You guys are a WEALTH of information and I'm sticking with your suggestions. I agree, that dealership is defensive and really getting on my last nerve. I got really bitchy and I told him I'm not going away and that this WILL be fixed. I also threw it in there that I will take it to another dealer if I have to. I sure hope I get a survey in the mail about my service experience, they want all 5 out of 5, well, guess what......it will be 1 out of 5.

I'm still mad about the screwing around with my seat and re programming it to the position they put it in. I mean really - who does that?

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Thanks Razor!

I'm going to call your dealer next week and speak to the guy you suggested in service. If I reference the forum will he know what I'm talking about? I'm still concerned about my engine shaking. It just seems overall that it's running rough still. I'm just a hair over 30K miles.....the only maintenance I have done is oil changes and 2 tire rotations. I still need to read the manual as Sube suggested - just been busy with no time. Is it time for a tune up perhaps?

Just called the dealer and spoke to the guy I was working with in service. He said they did a REPROGRAM and not a replace. I guess that's the issue. I need to have the REPLACMENT actuator. He insists that they have to do what TAC tells them to do and that for this model this is normal. I'm not buying it. I mentioned this 2012 actuator and he was all up in arms about it saying that the parts might not be inter changeable. He really seems threatened by the fact I'm getting information from this forum. His comment was that oh, the people on the forum are dangerous because they are posting information out there and then you as a customer take it as gold and expect that to be the fix when it might not. Whatever. You guys are a WEALTH of information and I'm sticking with your suggestions. I agree, that dealership is defensive and really getting on my last nerve. I got really bitchy and I told him I'm not going away and that this WILL be fixed. I also threw it in there that I will take it to another dealer if I have to. I sure hope I get a survey in the mail about my service experience, they want all 5 out of 5, well, guess what......it will be 1 out of 5.

I'm still mad about the screwing around with my seat and re programming it to the position they put it in. I mean really - who does that?
    Don't feel left out. The idiots at my dealership do it too! Last time I picked up car I had to pull over in the service drive and reset everything.

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Razor said it beautifully. There IS a fix. There IS a solution. Others with the problem HAVE had them rectified. Razor even provided a PARTS OPTION with the actuator. There ARE dealerships that are a cut above as he pointed out. AND YOUR DEALER NEEDS TO PICK UP THE FREAKIN PHONE AND CALL ANOTHER CADILLAC DEALERSHIP IF THEY NEED HELP (NAPERVILLE).

Razor is also correct.......sales and service are separate entities under one roof, and I am not sure how much they cross communicate or how much incentive a dealership feels in a scenario such as yours. In this scenario the salesparson is your friend and "inside" advocate. That is why I visit my salesperson every time I drop my SRX off for service......so he has a heads up. If he is not in, I email him and/or call him to let him know "MY" vehicle is in HIS shop. Every time, he checks up on my issue for me and touches base with me. These sales people have a lot of down time to do this for a customer. They have a financial incentive to get involved: a happy customer, referrals of my friends and relatives, and a possible repeat customer, me. He has a personal stake in a positive outcome, where the service techs and manager.....not so much.

Regarding the tech's comment that in fixing one thing another issue might arise!?!? That comes across as: "If we operate on your car, Cadigirl, we just might screw something else up. Pick your poison."

If they can build them correctly on the front end, then they can dissassemble them, fix them, and reassemble them correctly without causing further harm. This is not an engine overhaul!!!!! If that guy's comment were a normal occurence, few would ever take their car in for service, under warranty or no! I suspect one would not hear that same comment if the issue was not under warranty because their is a higher gross profit for the dealership in a non-warranty, customer pays repair.

I apologize for posting so much on this topic. No offense intended to anyone, but if I ever find myself unresponsively senile or in a coma, please just wheel me into a car dealership service department. Some of my previous frustrations will certainly trigger my senses and will for one last battle.

PJ

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.