A/C problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, A/C problems in Cadillac SRX Forums; Driverside A/C is 10 - 15 warmer than passenger side. I can power the system off while driving a couple ...
    brapril714 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX

A/C problems

Driverside A/C is 10 - 15 warmer than passenger side. I can power the system off while driving a couple of times, and it will work fine for a little while. Whole system has trouble keeping the car cool over 90 outside. It has been back and reprogrammed twice. No luck on fixing it yet. Any input on what to check for.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Patrickdaz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Black Ice Mettallic

Thumbs up Re: A/C problems

Quote Originally Posted by brapril714 View Post
    Driverside A/C is 10 - 15 warmer than passenger side. I can power the system off while driving a couple of times, and it will work fine for a little while. Whole system has trouble keeping the car cool over 90 outside. It has been back and reprogrammed twice. No luck on fixing it yet. Any input on what to check for.
    Our 2011 SRX (6 months old and 12K miles) had the whole system replaced due to failure here in Sunny Arizona. It acted like it was losing cooling capability on road trip, stopped at truck stop for 10 minutes to gas up and use restroom and A/C Blew ice cubes again without doing anything or even opening the hood. Two weeks later began to blow cool again instead of cold. Took into dealer with issue and "there were metal shavings in freon lines" and Dealer completely replaced the entire A/C system under hood. Had to order replacement parts from factory but provided us with another SRX as a loaner while in shop.
    Coulter Cadillac in Arizona treats customers like Gold and I will never buy anywhere else. Felt like a family member rather than just a burdensome customer.
    I'll never purchase from another GM dealer again other than Coulter Cadillac or Coulter Motor Company (Buick Cad, GMC) in AZ again!!

GMJim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon

Re: A/C problems

Geeze, I thought this was an early 2010 problem and fixed. Sorry about your troubles.
    That is the main reason I traded in my 2010 SRX. Lack of A/C.
    If you do not get satisfaction, let me know, as an employee, I can escalate your problem.

Jim

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

Sounds like a damper issue if the driver side is blowing warmer.
    My wife's tahoe does this.

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickdaz View Post
    Our 2011 SRX (6 months old and 12K miles) had the whole system replaced due to failure here in Sunny Arizona. It acted like it was losing cooling capability on road trip, stopped at truck stop for 10 minutes to gas up and use restroom and A/C Blew ice cubes again without doing anything or even opening the hood. Two weeks later began to blow cool again instead of cold. Took into dealer with issue and "there were metal shavings in freon lines" and Dealer completely replaced the entire A/C system under hood. Had to order replacement parts from factory but provided us with another SRX as a loaner while in shop.
    Coulter Cadillac in Arizona treats customers like Gold and I will never buy anywhere else. Felt like a family member rather than just a burdensome customer.
    I'll never purchase from another GM dealer again other than Coulter Cadillac or Coulter Motor Company (Buick Cad, GMC) in AZ again!!
    Jim.........I thought that was finally determined to be the issue, debris in the lines. No? But I don't recall the fix included replacing everything. But if it works and the techs can't actually diagnose and repair, so be it. With the way some of the TSBs are poorly written (vague with not enough detail), it is no wonder that unit replacement may have become the warranty approach of choice.

PJ

99ssconv is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): fix them every day

They can verify the concern by connecting a/c gauges and recording the high side pressure, then they need to connect the vehicle to GDS and under HVAC data look at the high side pressure. If the pressures are not the same then you have a restriction in the high side. All I have seen so far causing this is the drier desicant develops a leak and restricts the condensor. Replace the condensor (contains new drier), remove the expansion valve and if there is a gray substance on the back side of the valve (which there always is with this failure) replace the expansion valve also. I also flush the evaporator and all the lines. Recharge the system and retest the difference on the high side pressure between the gauge and GDS data. They will both read the same when its fixed. I have seen anywhere from 25 psi to 60 psi difference when the high side is restricted..

Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

If it is cooling on one side of the car and not the other then there is nothing wrong with the airconditioner itself. Only one unit on the car. It is most likely a dampner not opening properly, or something in the electronics itself feeding wrong information. Just get it in and get it fixed. It is nothing you can do yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyman View Post
    If it is cooling on one side of the car and not the other then there is nothing wrong with the airconditioner itself. Only one unit on the car. It is most likely a dampner not opening properly, or something in the electronics itself feeding wrong information. Just get it in and get it fixed. It is nothing you can do yourself.
    whatever man, I guess you have never fixed a A/C problem on a new SRX. I guess the last 20 or so I have fixed are waiting to come back next summer. Your talking about a temp actuator (they are not called dampners) and when they malfunction its either full cold or full hot. It's funny how people have no clue on fixing modern vehicles and think they know everything by reading posts on the web..
    stevec5375 and stevec5375 like this.

Whatever you say. If you are going to get your shorts in a wad everytime somebody disagrees with you then you will not have a happy time on this board. Show me some credentials and I might take you seriously. Anybody can look up TSB's. And yes, if you really are a GM mechanic, then chances are that those 20 cars will come back.

smiley47 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon Black Diamond Tri-Coat

I for one appreciate 99SS's insight into several of the problems people on this and the Escalade board have experienced. His comments are clearly not those of some "shade tree mechanic". If he's not a GM mechanic then they need to hire him.
    stevec5375 and stevec5375 like this.

Appreciate away smiley. A new guy shows up and gets his shorts in a wad so easily? Whatever floats your boat

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyman View Post
    Whatever you say. If you are going to get your shorts in a wad everytime somebody disagrees with you then you will not have a happy time on this board. Show me some credentials and I might take you seriously. Anybody can look up TSB's. And yes, if you really are a GM mechanic, then chances are that those 20 cars will come back.
    I guess the one I did today that measured 175 psi high side pressure with a gauge and GDS data showed 86 psi high side pressure will come back on me also then. Kinda funny how after I fixed it by doing what I said in the other posts that both readings after the repairs read 123 psi and the a/c was cooling as it should. Maybe I should tell the parts dept to start stocking dampners, oops! I meant actuators.

And yes my credentials speak for themselves.
    23 years as a GM tech
    GM World Class Technician
    ASE Master tech with 10 current certifications

I dont get mad when someone else disagrees just when they try to give other people advise when they have no clue what they are talking about. Since anybody can look up TSB's I'd like for you to find my fix for this then in your vast collection of TSB's

FYI: GM World Class Techs make up just 2% of the GM techs nationwide.

All I can say is that your attitude is typical of most dealership mechanics. I only hope that wherever you work that my Cadillac, or either one of my Chevrolets is never in your shop for repair. Of course, I trade often enough that with the rare exception my cars are never in the shop. You have a nice day.

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Quote Originally Posted by 99ssconv View Post
    FYI: GM World Class Techs make up just 2% of the GM techs nationwide.
    99ssconv,

Personally, I'm glad you're on this board to help us out. I thought your posts clearly indicated you know what you're talking about. I know there will be some who disagree with me but I ask you to stick around this board and help us out.

I tried to send you a private message but I guess you haven't posted enough messages yet for me to be able to do that.

Regards,

Steve
    TheCaptain, Jake2010 and Jake2010 like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.