A/C problems - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, A/C problems in Cadillac SRX Forums; I'm guessing 99sconv and Ponyman have had issues before. Am I right or am I wrong? If I'm right, maybe ...
    Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Re: A/C problems

I'm guessing 99sconv and Ponyman have had issues before. Am I right or am I wrong? If I'm right, maybe the best way to move forward, from this point on, is to put one another on each other's ignore lists... It's very easy to do...
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

Ponyman is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

No problem Lord

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

I'd rather not have to do that because I BELIEVE you could both interact with one another without issue. Agree to disagree.. Attack ideas, not people. I'm not pointing any fingers because I don't know the story. This topic was reported so I'm just stepping in to try and keep the peace. If you guys can't get along, I'll do the "ignore" thing. I'm just confident I don't need to do that...
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

I can do the ignore thing myself. Don't need Steve to tell me to do it. I was already ahead of him and you, but thanks for the offer of help

brapril714 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX

OK, back from dealer and Freon level was at 1.5lbs, they filled to 2.1lbs (i believe). Of course we have now cooled down to the 80's, so I haven't noticed any problems. They finally fixed the squeaky seat also, factory forgot to install felt washer on seat belt clip.

99ssconv is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): fix them every day

sorry to say but 1.5 lbs will not cause you an issue. The spec on a full charge is 1.61 lbs. Hope they got you fixed. My simple test that I posted in previous posts will tell them exactly if you have a restriction issue. Out of all the 2010 and 2011 SRX's that I have fixed every single one had a receiver drier come apart internally causing the concern. I would bet if they did a evacuate and a vacuum they would have gotten the full charge out of the system, most guys dont like to wait for the machine to pull a vacuum and without doing that there is a small amount of freon left.

Quote Originally Posted by brapril714 View Post
    OK, back from dealer and Freon level was at 1.5lbs, they filled to 2.1lbs (i believe). Of course we have now cooled down to the 80's, so I haven't noticed any problems. They finally fixed the squeaky seat also, factory forgot to install felt washer on seat belt clip.

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

99ss.........out of curiosity, and please bear with me.

Why is this a nearly two year, ongoing issue? Why are service techs still stumped?

I realize that when an automobile is newly released, issues such as this A/C issue arise. The the number of issue occurences rises. Data is captured. With a specific vehicle model, and A/C unit, over time the probable/more likely cause data is accumulated. Then the "things to check and in what order" follows. Great for a less inexperienced service tech, even one with certification.

But.........the actual mechanics of how an automobile A/C unit works, or any A/C unit works, has not changed too much in the past half century. Granted, thermostatically controlled units and multiple cooling zones have been added to cars. Same with "drier boxes and dessicants. These all add to the complexity of the correct diagnosis and the proper fix......more things to go wrong.

Your experience seems to indicate that by and large the "leaking dessicant" cause in the GenII SRX is the most common cause of customer a/c complaints with the SRX. Or maybe that is a poor assumption on my part, that there are a whole host of other causes for the SRX a/c woes, or automotive a/c woes in general.

So I wonder........

Is there an general shortage of repair experience level at dealerships (name your brand, foreign and domestic), a shortage of air conditioning expertise, a lack of general understanding of the physics how air conditioning works, the mechanicals? Is the training (and certifcation) in need of reassessment?

Why should a dealer service tech at this point in time two years after GenII release still be unable to get their arms around these issues and be stumped? Even with the specific causal data captured at all of the Cadillac dealerships and at their disposal. Is there poor communication amongst the dealerships? Is the data that is captured, and the verbage written so poorly that it is of little value?

I shared this thread's posts with my FIL who is a McGyver type, has extensive hands-on automotive and truck experience, and also experience in the HVAC area, both automotive and in the home. He couldn't figure out what was so tough other than "You can't teach experience." He just kept nodding his head and saying "Yup" while reading your explanations, all the way to the part where you talk about the proper way to evacuate and recharge, and the spec versus actual discussion. Then he lost me in a bunch of "if this then thats."

PJ

PJ I don't know if it is the same nationwide, but in my area, the really good mechanics tend to have their own shops, where they can make money off the labor and parts, rather than just labor at a dealership. SS might be able to enlighten you further on that.

srxgal is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickdaz View Post
    Our 2011 SRX (6 months old and 12K miles) had the whole system replaced due to failure here in Sunny Arizona. It acted like it was losing cooling capability on road trip, stopped at truck stop for 10 minutes to gas up and use restroom and A/C Blew ice cubes again without doing anything or even opening the hood. Two weeks later began to blow cool again instead of cold. Took into dealer with issue and "there were metal shavings in freon lines" and Dealer completely replaced the entire A/C system under hood. Had to order replacement parts from factory but provided us with another SRX as a loaner while in shop.
    Coulter Cadillac in Arizona treats customers like Gold and I will never buy anywhere else. Felt like a family member rather than just a burdensome customer.
    I'll never purchase from another GM dealer again other than Coulter Cadillac or Coulter Motor Company (Buick Cad, GMC) in AZ again!!
    I too had the same problem in Iowa. It only happen on hot days around 90 degrees and only if I was on the road for around an hour or more. Thanks to this forum, I was able to take my car into Willis Auto Campus in Des Moines and worked with my service consultant, Duane Abbott. They found vent temps to be cool no cold and got warmer as you went from the passenger side to the drivers side. They checked for codes and none were found. Checked pressures and found them to be out of spec. Checked freon charge and found no problem. They replaced the condensor-expansion value-flushed the lines-filled with freon and tested again and found pressures to still be low. Then they replaced the A/C compressor-refilled with freon and retested and now appears to be operating correctly. Of course, we are now heading into colder weather so hoping for one last hot day to retest the system myself. I don't think I would have received this fast action if it were not for you reporting your issues which you described to a "T". I would recommend anyone to go to Willis Auto Campus for sales and service because between my Salesman Mitch Dunn and Service Consultant Duane Abbott my experiences have all been super. Hats off to both of you. They too, treat you like a family member rather than a burdensome customer.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1520 View Post
    99ss.........out of curiosity, and please bear with me.

Why is this a nearly two year, ongoing issue? Why are service techs still stumped?

I realize that when an automobile is newly released, issues such as this A/C issue arise. The the number of issue occurences rises. Data is captured. With a specific vehicle model, and A/C unit, over time the probable/more likely cause data is accumulated. Then the "things to check and in what order" follows. Great for a less inexperienced service tech, even one with certification.

But.........the actual mechanics of how an automobile A/C unit works, or any A/C unit works, has not changed too much in the past half century. Granted, thermostatically controlled units and multiple cooling zones have been added to cars. Same with "drier boxes and dessicants. These all add to the complexity of the correct diagnosis and the proper fix......more things to go wrong.

Your experience seems to indicate that by and large the "leaking dessicant" cause in the GenII SRX is the most common cause of customer a/c complaints with the SRX. Or maybe that is a poor assumption on my part, that there are a whole host of other causes for the SRX a/c woes, or automotive a/c woes in general.

So I wonder........

Is there an general shortage of repair experience level at dealerships (name your brand, foreign and domestic), a shortage of air conditioning expertise, a lack of general understanding of the physics how air conditioning works, the mechanicals? Is the training (and certifcation) in need of reassessment?

Why should a dealer service tech at this point in time two years after GenII release still be unable to get their arms around these issues and be stumped? Even with the specific causal data captured at all of the Cadillac dealerships and at their disposal. Is there poor communication amongst the dealerships? Is the data that is captured, and the verbage written so poorly that it is of little value?

I shared this thread's posts with my FIL who is a McGyver type, has extensive hands-on automotive and truck experience, and also experience in the HVAC area, both automotive and in the home. He couldn't figure out what was so tough other than "You can't teach experience." He just kept nodding his head and saying "Yup" while reading your explanations, all the way to the part where you talk about the proper way to evacuate and recharge, and the spec versus actual discussion. Then he lost me in a bunch of "if this then thats."

PJ

we did not start seeing this issue until about mid summer this year on the 2011 models. Last year we did have a few (maybe a couple dozen of the 2010 models where we were replacing every thing but the lines and evaporator because there was a bulletin for the 2010s. (it payed pretty good too) they actually had us taking the drier off the new condenser and replace it with a different one. Out of all the 2011s our shop has done this year we have not had anything but the drier failures. Some guys do it correct and flush the system and others just slap on a condenser and cross their fingers hoping it doesnt come back. Yes, we have techs like that also. Some techs dont have pride in their work and could care less if the customer has to bring it back. I for one like to verify the complaint with the pressure differences on the high side, make the repairs and recheck the pressures to make sure the high side pressures read the same on the gauge and GDS data. Service techs at the dealership are getting younger and younger, with that comes inexperience and repeat repairs. We dont share results with other dealers, at times we will call buddies at other dealerships for advise. Thats about as far as it goes unless their is a service bulletin on it for everyone to see. If you actually followed the diagnosis chart for the pressures on the ones with the drier failure it leads you to replacement of the compressor. Good old service information for ya!! Run into that all the time, thats when experience comes into play.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyman View Post
    PJ I don't know if it is the same nationwide, but in my area, the really good mechanics tend to have their own shops, where they can make money off the labor and parts, rather than just labor at a dealership. SS might be able to enlighten you further on that.
    out of all the really good techs I have had the pleasure to work in the last 20 plus years none of them did their own shop thing. A few tried but ended up coming back after a year or two. The really good techs at the dealer diag vehicles quickly and with that comes really big money. Really good techs at the dealer can make over 100k a year and not have the stress or overhead that comes with running your own shop. Your location doesn't have the volume of business like a metroplex so I could see good techs going out on their own...

I bought my Cadillac in Denton, because at the time GM had taken the Cadillac franchise away from our local dsealer in the big shakeup. They have since gotten it back, although they are really tough to buy from anyway. I haven't had my Cadillac in to them for service, I continue to take it to Denton for the oil changes, since they are open on Saturday mornings. When I have been in my local deaalership for service on my two Chevrolets, it seems like all the people in there look like they are fresh out of high school. They do have two very long time employees that work exclusively on the Cadillacs. I was sure glad they were there when GM had to do a complete engine replacement on my 08 CTS at 1300 miles. They did an excellent job, and you could not tell that the engine had ever been out of the vehicle. They also let me, even encouraged me to come in the back door and talk to them and see the progress, as the car was there for quite some time. These two mechanics did more to assure me that my CTS was being fixed properly than the dealership and GM did.

brapril714 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Ok, I re-read the tech sheet. It stated that my system was .5lbs low. They refilled it.

Delta is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Some kind of CTS

wrong thread, cant delete post

Sreed is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX 2010

I also have a 2010 SRX and after $800 of service at the local Cadillac dealership (Carson City Nevada), the AC continues to cool (weakly) only on one side. I am
    taking it back in this week because I want it fixed and I am not willing to pay more money.
    Please advise!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.