Cadillac Owners Forum banner

New Technology: Feeds New 2012 SRX

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Marc NY 
#1 · (Edited)
Some more great news about the new 2012 SRX. The technology behind the new 3.6L engine and the added new acoustics to the interior of the 2012 SRX to help achieve a more quiet environment.

WOW I guess I wasn't just quessing that it was a much more quieter interior ... see the below attachments. :)

1) New airflow technology for the new 3.6L engine.
2) Better acoustics added to the 2012 interior.

Airflow Technology Feeds New 3.6L Cadillac SRX
2012 model delivers more torque across broader range of engine speeds 2011-08-31

DETROIT – It wasn't a breeze, but redesigning the air induction and exhaust systems in the 3.6L direct-injected V-6 engine helps give the 2012 Cadillac SRX the most standard power in its crossover segment.

The new engine is standard on all SRX models sold in North America. It goes on sale this month.

“When we started planning to equip this vehicle with the 3.6L engine, I challenged our engineers to achieve 300 horsepower and maintain fuel efficiency,” said Liz Pilibosian, vehicle chief engineer. “They came back and exceeded the goal with 308 horsepower.”

Engineers made key engine changes and redesigned air induction and exhaust systems to get more horsepower and torque, the twisting force that gets a vehicle moving and what the driver feels when accelerating.

“We wanted to continue our evolution of the SRX by improving the power and acceleration response of the vehicle,” said Steve Kline, lead development engineer. By increasing air intake capacity, Kline said, cooler and denser air is available to the engine, making it more powerful and responsive – especially on hot days in slow city traffic.

The exhaust system improvements are extensive. “It’s all-new from the engine to the exhaust outlets,” Kline said. “From larger diameter pipes to a higher-volume muffler, the system is tuned to pull exhaust gases out of the engine at 1,200 to 3,000 RPM. This means more torque when you need it most.”

SRX drivers will notice less shifting of the automatic transmission and more torque across a broader range of engine speeds, rotations per minute or RPM. This provides greater confidence for passing and freeway maneuvers and an overall driving experience more responsive to driver input.

Conventional wisdom would suggest that larger engines are louder, given that 308 horses under the hood can make a lot of noise. Engineers countered that with a variety of soundproofing materials. These acoustic treatments cover the instrument panel, center console, engine compartment and wheel wells.

As chief engineer for the SRX, Pilibosian is responsible for performance and testing, a role that suits her wrench-in-hand personality.

“I’ve always been mechanically inclined,” she said. “When I was younger, I liked to build things. My dad, an engineer himself, helped guide me toward an automotive career.”

About Cadillac
Cadillac has been a leading luxury auto brand since 1902. In recent years, Cadillac has engineered a historic renaissance led by artful engineering and advanced technology. More information on Cadillac can be found at media.cadillac.com.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like they did the best that was possible with the single exhaust.
Reminds me of my '87 IROC with the TPI motor. Single muffler with 1 inlet and 2 outlets.
I guess this is why the '12 Camaro has 323 hp and has it's tq peak is much higher than the SRX's.
The way they tuned the 3.6L for the SRX is perfect. Low/midrange tq. is what it needs and the peak hp is not as important.

#3 ·
I agree with b4z in the reasons why the engineers specifically fine tuned the 3.6L for the best performance needed for the SRX. The new engine delivers the perfect torque range for the SRX to achieve the best responsiveness and driving performance needed for the crossover.

It appears that at least one of the reasons why the engineers added more sound deadener insulation was to help address the louder noise levels that the newer 3.6L engine produces. They also added more sound insulation in the wheel-wells to help address some road noise too. Funny they don't mention how they added the "dual layered" insulated glass to help achieve a more quiet environment too.

#4 ·
Yes,,it is literally a GENERATION improved from the 2010,2011's......they will be giving the old ones away for awhile; I would not consider one for any price........will purchase a 2012 next summer unless the 13 has vast improvements....POWER was the big difference for '12........

#6 ·
DC, Most SRX owners could give a shit less about the power. There were 83,373 2011 SRX's produced, and this forum, and it's views represents, what? less than 0.5% of the owners? And 0.05% of them are just fine with their current set up.
Most buy because of style, and comfort, and price, so I don't think we will be "giving" them away.
As Pony has suggested, get rid of the first gen you are driving, and get a second gen.
Maybe then people will take your comments seriously.

#9 ·
Jim......you are right about "most SRX owners," and it also pertains to most automobile owners in general as well.

At sales of 53,000 units for model year 2010, and 83,000 in 2011.........these figures leave the last year of the FirstGen (2009) far behind (20,000 units?). Folks are voting with their wallets on the SecondGen, much to the consternation of the rest of the market segment. The power increase for 2012 is, at the very least, going to retain the sales momentum and the spotlight on Cadillac.

PJ

#7 ·
Amen Jim. Personally for us the SRX has plenty of power. For those that need more, I am glad they now have it available. I really am glad we have the 3.0. It doesn't matter if it is my 4 cylinder HHR, the SRX, or my 11 Avalanche, my wife drives them all the same way. Gets in, starts it and when out in the road floors it. Says that is the way her Daddy taught her to drive. Was out washing my HHR this morning and saw her do it. If she had more power she would be laying rubber and I would be replacing the tires regularly. Oh, well that is why they make differnt vehicles, and different strokes for different folks. Far be it from me to run down someone else's choices. Good to hear from you JIm. I was at Walmart yesterday ande saw a silver CTS wagon pull by and I thought of you. There are so few of them around here that they do get your attention. As for dc, he was going to wait for an 11, then a 12, now maybe a 13. In othere words he will never buy one, he just wants to try to kill someone else's pleasure cause he can't afford one, and his mommy won't buy one for him to drive.

#8 ·
Just for the record: I certainly hope no one here thinks I am suggesting that owners of a 2010-2011 SRX should sell or trade in their SRXs just so you can have more power and some added new features. I have repeated many times before that I was very happy with my 2010 SRX. Once I learned the ins and outs of the 3.0L powertrain I drove my SRX accordingly. I had actually tagged a 2011 SRX GM PEP vehicle but when the executive was ready to turn it in there were too many issues (scratches and dents) with it and how it was driven so I backed out of my GM deal. When I told my buyer I had decided not to buy the 2011 and I was going to order a 2012 instead, he told me he would wait for me to order my 2012. Thus I had a buyer already waiting to buy my 2010 so it made perfectly good sense for me to trade it in and sell it to him.

Now that being said ... if I was in the market for a brand new SRX right now and if the limited 2012 color choices or higher price with no incentives didn't get into the way of me buying an SRX I would certainly highly recommend getting the 2012 with the new 3.6L with all the added and improved features.

#10 · (Edited)
That's what it is all about PJ. They have to keep making changes and improvements to keep people interested. If we were going to get rid of the 10 for a 12 today the increased HP wouldn't make me look elsewhere. I would just have resign myself to hearing the tires squeal all the time. I have to admit, and I think I am probably typical, when I first loked at the SRX the styling drew me in. features were second and the powertrain came in third. Coming from a 08 CTS I was suprised it didn't have the 3.6, but after driving it the 3.0 suited us fine. I am glad they put the 3.6 in to satisfy those who need more power, and it certainly wouldn't keep me from buying one. Those who want to nitpick will always be waiting for the laatest and greatest advancement, and will never buy a car. If I live long enough I will se dc on this board saying maybe a 2029 next summer. Marc, I have nevr heard you run down anybody or their vehicle. Keep up the information and updates. There those that will find it invaluable if they are considering the SRX, or if they are trading.

#11 ·
That's what it is all about PJ. .... Marc, I have never heard you run down anybody or their vehicle. Keep up the information and updates. There those that will find it invaluable if they are considering the SRX, or if they are trading.
Thanks Ponyman for those kind words... I am truly hoping that I am providing some valuable information to all those members who might be looking to purchase a brand new SRX. :)

*I am certainly not trying to upset any of those members who already own one of those awesome 2010-2011 SRXs. Hey that is why I bought my first 2010 SRX in the first place! :yup: :alright:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.